No announcement yet.

NFL Draft Selections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Rhyme starts drooling). Doesn't matter to me personally, I would have taken Sweetness either way.

Comment

Originally posted by EAkadima15 View Post
      1. No. Just no.

2. Call it luck. Call it whatever you want. Payton missed one game in 13 seasons. I'm sure he fought through plenty of injuries at the position that suffers the most pain.

3. I won't delve into Ryan vs. Johnson, because I'm not a real baseball fan, but I don't want to hear any missed generation stuff. I didn't even live to see Walter Payton play. Payton was consistently good as well. He also ran for 16726 yards on a team that wasn't very good. You can't even characterize Payton's running style because he did everything well. He ran over people, he juked people out of their shoes, and flat out burned defenses. I can't be convinced otherwise that he wasn't the greatest. His longevity and ability, and accomplishments are simply unmatched.
      Yes, just yes. Walter Payton was not a better back then these backs during his era:

Eric Dickerson
      Earl Campbell
      Marcus Allen
      O.J.

Comment

Originally posted by InjuredReserve View Post
        Actually I am going to need a ruling on Jim Brown from GeorgiaJeff (I feel he is most qualified as our historian). The Hall of Fame has him listed as modern era. So I think Jim Brown should be eligible. He retired in 1965.
        Modern era and Super Bowl era are two different things. The Super Bowl era starts in 1966. Jim Brown's last season was 1965. He's ineligible for this Super Bowl era All-Time draft.
        sigpic

I may live in Florida, but I bleed Chicago navy & orange

Comment

Originally posted by arhymemaster View Post
          Yes, just yes. Walter Payton was not a better back then these backs during his era:

Eric Dickerson
          Earl Campbell
          Marcus Allen
          WOW!! It's one thing to say Payton wasn't as good as Brown, fine. But where do you get off saying that Dickerson, Campbell, and Allen were better? I cannot understand that argument even a little bit.

Comment

If anyone's looking to kill time waiting for picks, I was just over on Cracked and they have a pretty funny article on the origins of football (and some other sports).

http://www.cracked.com/article_17529...-violence.html
            sigpic

Comment

I personally wouldn't touch a RB before round 5. Regardless of the player. Jim Brown is a possible exception. You can win championships with good and not great backs.

Comment

WOW!! It's one thing to say Payton wasn't as good as Brown, fine. But where do you get off saying that Dickerson, Campbell, and Allen were better? I cannot understand that argument even a little bit.
                All of those backs + O.J. are better then Payton talent wise.

Comment

Eric Dickerson
                  Earl Campbell
                  Marcus Allen
                  O.J.
                  Minority opinion.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaJeff View Post
                    Modern era and Super Bowl era are two different things. The Super Bowl era starts in 1966. Jim Brown's last season was 1965. He's ineligible for this Super Bowl era All-Time draft.
                    For some reason I had it in my head that they were the same thing. Bc i thought 65 was the year. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

All of those backs + O.J. are better then Payton talent wise.
                      Then go draft Adrian Peterson, if you want to draft based solely on talent. There is something to be said for longevity and talent, and I think you are neglecting the longevity portion far too much.

Comment

Then go draft Adrian Peterson, if you want to draft based solely on talent. There is something to be said for longevity and talent, and I think you are neglecting the longevity portion far too much.
                        If I was to draft solely off talent I would take Gale Sayers or Bo Jackson in the mid rounds. Obviously talent isn't everything, but just because a player happened to be lucky to never have a major injury in his career doesn't make him better then backs who did. Payton just happen to be lucky that he was almost never in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Comment

I personally wouldn't touch a RB before round 5. Regardless of the player. Jim Brown is a possible exception. You can win championships with good and not great backs.
                          Would you consider Jim McMahon a great Quarterback? Sweetness was different. McMahon was mediocore, and as great as the defense was, Payton was the only legit weapon the Bears had on offense.

I'm fine with building my team around an RB. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Superbowls too.

Comment

Would you consider Jim McMahon a great Quarterback? Sweetness was different. McMahon was mediocore, and as great as the defense was, Payton was the only legit weapon the Bears had on offense.

I'm fine with building my team around an RB. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Superbowls too.
                            Im not one to overrate QB's like the majority of people on these boards. You can win a superbowl with a good rb or even a decent QB. Superbowls are won in the trenches, and on the bench.

Comment

If I was to draft solely off talent I would take Gale Sayers or Bo Jackson in the mid rounds. Obviously talent isn't everything, but just because a player happened to be lucky to never have a major injury in his career doesn't make him better then backs who did. Payton just happen to be lucky that he was almost never in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
                              He was better than all those backs you mentioned. They might have looked a little bit bigger or a little bit faster, but nobody beat Payton. It takes plenty of talent to run for 1852 yards on a team that lost 37-7 in the playoffs that year. I think you are grossly underestimating the talent of Walter Payton. His combination of longevity and luck are not reasons to penalize him or think any less of him. I'm sure he fought through his fair share of pain as well.

Comment

Originally posted by InjuredReserve View Post
                                For some reason I had it in my head that they were the same thing. Bc i thought 65 was the year. Thanks for clearing that up.
                                Different people have different meanings for "modern era." For some it begins in 1933 (the first NFL Championship game). For others (like the NFL Hall of Fame) it begins around the time of the 1958 Championship game (refered to as The Greatest Game Ever Played), for others it's the Super Bowl era.

Out of the three I think the way the NFL Hall of Fame defines it (say late '50's as when it began) is the best choice.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X