X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Castiron View Post

I expect it to be Takkarist McKinney do to how he'll test, or Tim Williams because Tomlin understands today's young black man.
    Ha! I'm actually not as picky this time around. They're are multiple needs on this team, and this draft honestly looks pretty good on the defensive side of the ball as well as RB and TE. There are lots of players I'd be happy with. I'd just like a better defensive scheme. Butler is basically Lebeau lite. Diet Lebeau. Lebeau zero. Crystal Lebeaukay I'll stop.

Leave a comment:

• Castiron
    replied
    Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Pretty much. I'd be surprised if it's not an edge rusher. But we'll see, crazier things have happened.
    I expect it to be Takkarist McKinney do to how he'll test, or Tim Williams because Tomlin understands today's young black man.

Leave a comment:

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    Oh, they're drafting an OLB in the first. They need one badly, and Pittsburgh.
    Pretty much. I'd be surprised if it's not an edge rusher. But we'll see, crazier things have happened.

Leave a comment:

• Castiron
    replied
    Oh, they're drafting an OLB in the first. They need one badly, and Pittsburgh.

Leave a comment:

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    Steelers showing interest in both Illinois edge rushers.

Leave a comment:

• Castiron
    replied
    Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

It was a poor matchup from the start, but using a defense that. Never. Works. Against the Pats was the worst part.
    This is why I'd always say "Thanks Tomlin!" The one time when I thought the team had finally solved the Patriots was in 2011 when they played bump and run across the field on them. And it worked. You know why they did that? Because a few weeks before on SNF, and on b$pn, there were former coaches and players explaining that you had to knock the WRs off their routes and mess up Brady's timing. Tomlin heard it, enacted it, and it worked. Before and since, it's been "We do what we do". Apparently, what they do is be NE's *****.

Tomlin has turned the Pittsburgh ****ing Steelers into Dungy's Colts. A soft, pansy-ass team that can't gain one damn foot when they need to, and can't stop a nose bleed. **** that guy in the ear.

Leave a comment:

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post
    I get that their defensive scheme was good enough to help get them into the playoffs and into the AFCCG, but Brady has made his millions picking apart zones, you'd think they would have something in their back pocket as a strategy for when their zones start to fail.

I heard one angry guy on the Rich Eisen show today who basically was saying that having their defense not designed to beat Brady was designing it to lose. Which I somewhat agree with.
    The thing is, they did it before. It was a regular season game, a few years back. They played tight coverage against the Pats, and lo and behold, it worked.

I'm over the soft zone in general. I think the NFL has evolved past it, as teams are more than willing to hit you with slants, crossers, and screens to beat you, death of a thousand cuts style. You can "tackle the catch" all you like, but when those catches go for 6-7 yards a pop, it adds up. Not to mention seam routes and such, that go deeper and are designed to beat your zone. It's just a bit too passive against offenses that get rid of the ball within 2 seconds, making it next to impossible for a blitz to hit home. You have to hit them on the line, disrupt the timing, make the QB sit just a bit longer, then land the hit.

There's also the matter of adjusting in-game. And I've seen it done before, why not there? I get having an identity, but versatility is the name of the game now, on both sides of the ball. You can base yourself around one thing, but you better be able to shift gears and do something else, or you're basically screwed.

Yeah, this team simply wasn't beating the Patriots. Even when the defense was amazing, their scheme was basically a giant target for some of the better QBs (except for Peyton, who had a strange weakness to the 3-4). I remember thinking the same thing during the superbowl against the Packers.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyallstar
    replied
    I get that their defensive scheme was good enough to help get them into the playoffs and into the AFCCG, but Brady has made his millions picking apart zones, you'd think they would have something in their back pocket as a strategy for when their zones start to fail.

I heard one angry guy on the Rich Eisen show today who basically was saying that having their defense not designed to beat Brady was designing it to lose. Which I somewhat agree with.

Leave a comment:

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    Everything about that game is why I have no use for the Tomlisbergers. Well, other than to laugh at. Which I did. The whole game.
    It was a poor matchup from the start, but using a defense that. Never. Works. Against the Pats was the worst part.

Leave a comment:

• Castiron
    replied
    Everything about that game is why I have no use for the Tomlisbergers. Well, other than to laugh at. Which I did. The whole game.

Leave a comment:

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    I get a lot of times there is some backlash that happens when teams don't make it into playoffs, but Pittsburgh is getting a lot it seems. Ben talking about considering retirement (he won't this year), talks about how AB is too concerned with stats, and the Steelers might be secretly preparing to shop him, how Tomlin is being criticized again as riding the coattails of great players,

Normally this kind of media break happens when a team falls considerably short of their expectations, not being beaten in the AFCCG.
    Expectations are constantly very high for Pittsburgh. And yeah, Ben likes to be dramatic. As far as AB goes, Tomlin said in the press conference after the facebook incident "that's how star players move from team to team." He was pretty clearly pissed. Whether or not there's fire to that smoke, I don't know. Regarding the recent report, Brown was not in the endzone and was celebrating the TD when WIlliams got in. So my guess is that part is nonsense. What isn't is the personal foul penalties on celebrations and the team being very pissed about the locker room video.

Leave a comment:

• Castiron
    replied
    I get a lot of times there is some backlash that happens when teams don't make it into playoffs, but Pittsburgh is getting a lot it seems. Ben talking about considering retirement (he won't this year), talks about how AB is too concerned with stats, and the Steelers might be secretly preparing to shop him, how Tomlin is being criticized again as riding the coattails of great players,

Normally this kind of media break happens when a team falls considerably short of their expectations, not being beaten in the AFCCG.
    Ben is a massive drama queen, and all the other stuff is accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyallstar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• steelers_pens_fan
    replied
    I am also glad to see the FB come back. A big nasty 250 pounder could come in handy against DBs that want to be like Deion and never tackle, ever.

Leave a comment:

• Castiron
    replied
    Patrick DiMarco. Both he and Juice are FAs this year, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X