Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mafias Dead

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by GongKong View Post
    So,you don't care in a world with witches that Chrisitans burned at the stake, and wizards that Christians dunked in pots of water until they drowned, and magic, that Christians say is the Devil incarnate (well close enough), that anyone in Harry Potter land would celebrate a Holiday that would never exist in that land at all ever.

    Atheists DO NOT celebrate Christmas.

    And it does matter. How can you not get that? Harry Potter is a built on a world that the rules of the world have no meaning, no substance, and no integrity.

    And if it doesn't matter to you, it matters to me that books I read like Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or any that build an alternate world, that the rules of that world are actually the RULES of that world, and not some convoluted mixture of rules from that world and this one, cuz the writer cannot keep them differentiated in their head.

    Look, I get it you all love HP. No problem with that, but don't tell me its good, when it has holes the size of a Galactic Planet Destroyer inside its core and hard coding.
    only retarded christians that know nothing call it of the devil, its very christian so youve got that right
    2010 WF.com PPR Champion
    2011 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
    2014 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
    2013 VF Fantasy League Champion

    CMD II Champion [co-owner with simonds]
    CMD III NFC North Champion [co-owner with simonds]
    CMD V NFC North Champion

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DenverTyrant View Post
      I've literally met dozens of atheists who celebrated Christmas, so don't give me that bull****.

      Again, read the ****ing books man. You're coming off as a raging asstard.
      By definition no atheist with any integrity would do that to themselves. NONE. Your friends are Christians that don't want to go to Church. A big difference.

      If you don't get why its a big deal, then fine, but its a gigantic book ruining deal for me. You can't have Jesus in Magic land. You just can't. Not for Jesus's sake, and not for anyone in that world that would never ever have that religion in it EVER.

      I mean, maybe its that I care about things making sense, having integrity, and basically not being a convoluted mess. But thats just me, I guess around here. But you are right, I haven't rwad the books, as after about 80 pages they sucked, and I stopped. I watched on movie, and it was awful with Christmas that made ZERO sense, and it turned me off and I never watched any others.

      maybe it is great, and maybe its the best, but that kills it for me personally. Ass hat or not.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
      I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Robley View Post
        Gong, I love ya bro. You're a smart cookie. But sometimes, you go full retard. Never go full retard.
        Dude, I figured you of all people would see it, but fine.

        Unfortunately for you, I am actually making more sense now than usual, and you are ignoring it. Listen to VF at least, as he loves it, and he knows what I am saying, even though he is talking about symbolism, and I am talking a 100% shattering of a 4th wall that should have never been shattered. This case happens to be Christmas, which all of you can't separate from your own upbringing, and realize that the world of Harry Potter and Hogwarts would have their own mythology, religion, and Holidays. No way they would have a Holiday based on a Chrisitan god/principles where everything they are is bad and needs to be murdered!!!!
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
        I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

        Comment


        • What's convoluted about it? Many of the wizards in the story marry muggles. Many muggles believe in Jesus. So some of those traditions would get passed into wizarding families and culture over time.
          JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?

          Comment


          • Oh, Gong...

            Comment


            • No Gong you don't understand. These people like celebrating the gifts and lights and tree and stuff. They don't give about God. They're still atheists.
              2014 Champion of the Walter Football PPR League

              CMD VI Runner Up

              Comment


              • Originally posted by GongKong View Post
                Dude, I figured you of all people would see it, but fine.

                Unfortunately for you, I am actually making more sense now than usual, and you are ignoring it. Listen to VF at least, as he loves it, and he knows what I am saying, even though he is talking about symbolism, and I am talking a 100% shattering of a 4th wall that should have never been shattered. This case happens to be Christmas, which all of you can't separate from your own upbringing, and realize that the world of Harry Potter and Hogwarts would have their own mythology, religion, and Holidays. No way they would have a Holiday based on a Chrisitan god/principles where everything they are is bad and needs to be murdered!!!!
                Their world is no different than ours, except there are secret wizards. They do explore some of the depths of cultural difference in the seventh book.
                JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?

                Comment


                • I hate to say it as a Catholic, but Christmas really doesn't have much to do with God anymore.
                  2014 Champion of the Walter Football PPR League

                  CMD VI Runner Up

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by GongKong View Post
                    Dude, I figured you of all people would see it, but fine.

                    Unfortunately for you, I am actually making more sense now than usual, and you are ignoring it. Listen to VF at least, as he loves it, and he knows what I am saying, even though he is talking about symbolism, and I am talking a 100% shattering of a 4th wall that should have never been shattered. This case happens to be Christmas, which all of you can't separate from your own upbringing, and realize that the world of Harry Potter and Hogwarts would have their own mythology, religion, and Holidays. No way they would have a Holiday based on a Chrisitan god/principles where everything they are is bad and needs to be murdered!!!!
                    Oh dear.

                    Come with me Gong. You've strayed far from the Religion thread. Take out your frustration on someone who actually cares about religion such as myself, not DT.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DenverTyrant View Post
                      Their world is no different than ours, except there are secret wizards. They do explore some of the depths of cultural difference in the seventh book.
                      Wrong again

                      Their world is completely different. Wizards, witches, magic, flying brooms, laws of physics, and all that.

                      Even if in their world there was Christianity, no one, and I MEAN NO ONE at Hogwarts would ever celebrate it. It would be like Satan worshipping to Christains, as Christains have killed witches, wizards, and magic as pagan/devil for what 700 to 1500 years (or 2013 years?)??
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                      I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Andy Q. View Post
                        Oh dear.

                        Come with me Gong. You've strayed far from the Religion thread. Take out your frustration on someone who actually cares about religion such as myself, not DT.
                        Fair point. I digress. But still. This isn't even about religion, as much as a writer not being able to properly build an alternate world with its own rules.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                        I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

                        Comment


                        • Gong has entered into full Monk mode.
                          2014 Champion of the Walter Football PPR League

                          CMD VI Runner Up

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by monk2310 View Post
                            I hate to say it as a Catholic, but Christmas really doesn't have much to do with God anymore.
                            Originally posted by monk2310 View Post
                            No Gong you don't understand. These people like celebrating the gifts and lights and tree and stuff. They don't give about God. They're still atheists.
                            .
                            2014 Champion of the Walter Football PPR League

                            CMD VI Runner Up

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by GongKong View Post
                              Wrong again

                              Their world is completely different. Wizards, witches, magic, flying brooms, laws of physics, and all that.

                              Even if in their world there was Christianity, no one, and I MEAN NO ONE at Hogwarts would ever celebrate it. It would be like Satan worshipping to Christains, as Christains have killed witches, wizards, and magic as pagan/devil for what 700 to 1500 years??
                              Gong, I've read all of the books.

                              You're wrong

                              JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?

                              Comment


                              • Gong, you're wrong.

                                Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X