This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Draft Team Needs

I will be producing a Mock every month of the college season all the way up to the week before the draft. I already have submitted my first draft. http://www.walterfootball.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12606

I would like a 'representative' for each team to tell me what their team needs and please provide a reason and a thought out explanation. I want to make this as likely and fun as possible. I will continue to connect my drafts and this posts together so everyone can see progression

Patriots 3-4 DE, OLB, ILB, RB, OL (Thanks Descendency)
    Bills
    Jets
    Dolphins

Ravens
    Steelers
    Bengals
    Browns

Colts
    Titans
    Jaguars QB, OT, DL, S, CB, DL (Thanks KLNgus and Unbiased)
    Texans

Broncos
    Chargers
    Chiefs
    Raiders

Giants
    Cowboys
    Redskins
    Eagles- OT, DE/LB, CB (Thanks Cutty)

Packers
    Vikings QB, DT, DE, OLB, RB (Thanks VikingFan173)
    Lions
    Bears

Panthers
    Saints
    Falcons
    Buccaneers

49ers
    Seahawks
    Rams QB, DL, OG, TE (Thanks Distant Ram)
    Cardinals
    Last edited by redjet04; 09-19-2009, 07:25 PM.

Its tough because its so early in the season, but here it goes for the Eagles.

1. OT - As far as I'm concerned, I'll never see Shawn Andrews in an Eagles uniform again. Its possible they already have their RT for the next 5 years in Stacy Andrews, and its also possible that Winston Justice does just fine. But right now, I think they could really use some worst-case-scenario depth

2. DE/OLB hybrid - I think this team is on its way to running a 4-3/3-4 hybrid where nobody knows where the rushers are coming from. You see glimpses of it here and there (especially Week 1 with Trent Cole), and I think they could use a versatile guy like Jerry Hughes. Regardless, they need another pass-rusher, even if its just a hand-on-the-ground DE.

3. CB - Ellis Hobbs will be gone, Sheldon will be a little older, and he's already unhappy with his contract. And I believe Joselio Hanson will be a UFA as well. This team always drafts 2 or 3 years ahead, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a CB in the 1st.

This is more of just a 1st round needs-based prediction, all 3 are positions they value

Comment

Vikings, not many needs but here are the weakness

1. QB- we have been searching for Culpepper's replacement, favre is one-year stop-gap, TJ should be a good starter until whoever we draft is ready

2. DT- Need a replacement for pat Williams, kevin williams is getting up there as well

3. DE- we need an end in case we lose Edwards next offseason, brian robinson is just a rotation guy

4. OLB- Leber is still a solid OLB but he is getting older, probably more a middle round need, I doubt we use a 1st

5. RB- yes a small need here, to replace Chester taylor who is a free agent after this year, I doubt we francise tagh him and he will probably look for a starting gig

6. TE- another minor one, Shiancoe is a starting caliber TE, could use an upgrade

CB isn't a need no matter what some people say, we just gave two long-year deals to griffin and winfield and drafted Asher Allen, we aren't drafting a CB w/ that much invested, some peple may go C, but I like what I saw from sullivan, need to wait until at least half a year before we look to replace him, and finally I don't think we go WR or safety
      2010 WF.com PPR Champion
      2011 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
      2014 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
      2013 VF Fantasy League Champion

CMD II Champion [co-owner with simonds]
      CMD III NFC North Champion [co-owner with simonds]
      CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Rams:

1. QB: Bulger hasn't been at his best for years now and he only avoided the cut in 2009 due to salary repercussions. He will be replaced soon; the only thing which may save his skin is the fact that we have so many other needs. By the way, Keith Null may emerge from nowhere to be a viable option.

2. DE: Chris Long is a going to be a very good player but he lacks the strength to be an elite DE at the highest level. Leonard Little is getting old and we have no depth.

3: DT: Again, no depth. We had to sign Hollis Thomas as a stop-gap (no pun intended) measure this year; that says it all.

4. TE: McMichael isn't getting any younger and the rest are rubbish.

5. OG: Incognito's an idiot; Setterstrom is always injured; Bell's been a complete waste of money.

I could go on, but we'd be here all night!
        Last edited by DistantRam; 09-17-2009, 08:38 PM.
        The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth.

Comment

For now it is limited, we have to see how some young players will develop.

Right now

QB: It seems that Garrard lack of skills is limiting Dirk Koetter's offense, we need a strong armed gunslinger who's not afraid to takes chances from time to time.

S : Reggie Nelson is a marginal player at best, and doesn't make enough plays. Considine looks better but I want to wait and see first. We also have to take a look at Gerald Alexander's best fit and playmaking ability but adding a ballhawk in our backfield wouldn't hurt.

Wait & see:

RB: Jones drew needs to be relieved of some carries to provide a real 1-2 punch, but we have to see what Rashad Jennings has to offer first.

WR: Holt won't be here for long, however we drafted a bunch of receivers with upside, and maybe Mike Sims Walker will stay healthy and produce for a change.

CB : So far Derek Cox looks like an good pickup, he will have to prove he can play at high level throughout the season. If not, maybe we look at who's on the board.

DE/Rush OLB : Harvey and/or Groves need to step up Big Time and generate some pass rush.

Interior DL : The interior is a question mark as well, even if our rotation looks efficient between Landri, Knighton, Ellison and Henderson. It is difficult to find THE guy however because he will have to fit 34 and 43 schemes.
          Last edited by KLNgus; 09-18-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KLNgus View Post
            S : Reggie Nelson is a marginal player at best, and doesn't make enough plays. Considine looks better but I want to wait and see first. We also have to take a look at Gerald Alexander's best fit and playmaking ability but adding a ballhawk in our backfield.
            Don't get your hopes up with Considine. I saw every snap he ever played as an Eagle, and while he has the occasional highlight, he gives up big plays a lot more often then he makes them. Great special teams guy though

That's a shame to hear about Reggie Nelson, I loved that pick when they took him

Comment

Originally posted by cutty View Post
              Don't get your hopes up with Considine. I saw every snap he ever played as an Eagle, and while he has the occasional highlight, he gives up big plays a lot more often then he makes them. Great special teams guy though

That's a shame to hear about Reggie Nelson, I loved that pick when they took him
              cutty why don't u express your own opinion besides only bashing poeple's opinion, put your team needs that's what this thread is for
              2010 WF.com PPR Champion

CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfan173 View Post
                cutty why don't u express your own opinion besides only bashing poeple's opinion, put your team needs that's what this thread is for
                Relax bruce, i was giving him my opinion on Considine. He's been an eagle his entire career, and i once got my hopes up on him too.

Comment

Relax bruce, i was giving him my opinion on Considine. He's been an eagle his entire career, and i once got my hopes up on him too.
                  I kno if they would have thought him any good then why did they give up on him esecially after losing dawkins, constadine is one of those guys, good guy just sucky player, sort of like Brian Russell, one of my fav vikings but he was overated mainly becuase of his 10 interception season his first season in minnesota
                  2010 WF.com PPR Champion

CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfan173 View Post
                    I kno if they would have thought him any good then why did they give up on him esecially after losing dawkins, constadine is one of those guys, good guy just sucky player, sort of like Brian Russell, one of my fav vikings but he was overated mainly becuase of his 10 interception season his first season in minnesota
                    He was actually Dawkins' heir apparent when they drafted him. Dawk was still in his prime, but the thought was that Considine would take over FS once he was done. It was pretty disappointing, a lot of people in this town were excited to see him play and ultimately let down. He ended up being a very hated player here towards the end, although some of it was undeserved

Comment

The previous Jags poster did a great job. It might help you, redjet, if I post my thoughts as well.

I believe that GM Gene Smith has to look at this as a rebuilding process. Given that, we need to address the core of the team. You can determine your own core positions, but I will post mine:

Franchise QB
                      Bookend OTs
                      Entire Defensive Line
                      Shutdown CB

You don’t necessarily have to agree with that but please bear with me. Obviously there is much more than those positions in building a team but I believe that is where you should start.

What we have:
                      Bookend OTs (Monroe and Britton), 1 DE (Harvey), NT (Knighton)
                      What we might have (jury is still out):
                      1 DE (Groves), Shutdown CB (Cox)
                      What we don’t have:
                      Franchise QB, UT (Henderson is too old to consider as a long-term piece to this equation)

I know the golden rule about never passing on a QB in the draft if you don’t have one. I just see it as part of the big picture and not the only piece that matters. In this scenario let’s say Groves shows some flashes of greatness, but is hurt by his size and isn’t consistent.

2010 needs:
                      1. UT – 1st round
                      2. DE – 3rd/4th round
                      3. SS – Considine was only paid like a backup yet has been thrown into the starting lineup. Need a guy who can compete with him and take over as starter by the time Considine is gone. 3rd/4th round.
                      4. OG/C – Guys who can step in for Meester, Manuwai, and Williams (who are all in their 30s). 5th to 7th rounds

In 2011, I believe we should look for our franchise QB. By that time, the two tackles should be solid and the defense should be improved, making his job easier.

In 2012, we might look at a 1st round CB.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                        The previous Jags poster did a great job. It might help you, redjet, if I post my thoughts as well.

I believe that GM Gene Smith has to look at this as a rebuilding process. Given that, we need to address the core of the team. You can determine your own core positions, but I will post mine:

Franchise QB
                        Bookend OTs
                        Entire Defensive Line
                        Shutdown CB

You don’t necessarily have to agree with that but please bear with me. Obviously there is much more than those positions in building a team but I believe that is where you should start.

What we have:
                        Bookend OTs (Monroe and Britton), 1 DE (Harvey), NT (Knighton)
                        What we might have (jury is still out):
                        1 DE (Groves), Shutdown CB (Cox)
                        What we don’t have:
                        Franchise QB, UT (Henderson is too old to consider as a long-term piece to this equation)

I know the golden rule about never passing on a QB in the draft if you don’t have one. I just see it as part of the big picture and not the only piece that matters. In this scenario let’s say Groves shows some flashes of greatness, but is hurt by his size and isn’t consistent.

2010 needs:
                        1. UT – 1st round
                        2. DE – 3rd/4th round
                        3. SS – Considine was only paid like a backup yet has been thrown into the starting lineup. Need a guy who can compete with him and take over as starter by the time Considine is gone. 3rd/4th round.
                        4. OG/C – Guys who can step in for Meester, Manuwai, and Williams (who are all in their 30s). 5th to 7th rounds

In 2011, I believe we should look for our franchise QB. By that time, the two tackles should be solid and the defense should be improved, making his job easier.

In 2012, we might look at a 1st round CB.
                        Real nice job. I think DT would be a great pick for them if they're in the top 15. Gerald McCoy will be gone, but they may have a shot at guys like Suh and Brian Price if he declares.

If Jevan Snead or Clausen declare, taking their franchise QB may be a real possibility

Comment

Real nice job. I think DT would be a great pick for them if they're in the top 15. Gerald McCoy will be gone, but they may have a shot at guys like Suh and Brian Price if he declares.
                          Yes, my favorites are Suh, McCoy, Arthur Jones, and Brian Price.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                            Yes, my favorites are Suh, McCoy, Arthur Jones, and Brian Price.
                            I'm definately anti-Arthur Jones at this point, but there's a lot of season left.

I actually had the Jags taking Raji last year, but taking an OT was definately understandable

Comment

I'm definately anti-Arthur Jones at this point, but there's a lot of season left.

I actually had the Jags taking Raji last year, but taking an OT was definately understandable
                              As a Penn State fan, I saw Arthur Jones first hand last Saturday. He was hurt early on, but got right back in and held his own against one of the better centers in the country, Stefen Wisnewski. It's especially impressive given that he has virtually no help on that defense.

Going into draft day, I was all but certain Monroe would be gone before our pick. So with that thought, I was all for Raji. I thought Knighton was a reach, but I think Gene Smith did his homework on that one. He is looking really good so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X