Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Super Bowl 2017 Mock Draft

1. CLE: Myles Garrett, Edge, Texas A&M

The no-brainer pick, Garrett is the top player in the draft at an impact position. Jonathan Allen is the only other prospect I would consider at this spot.

2. SF: Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama

The value on the board does not match up with SF's needs, and I think they ultimately trade out of this spot. If they stay put, I expect them to trade or sign a QB rather than draft one. Foster is the top linebacker in the class and should be a fixture in the middle of the defense for the next 8 years.

3. CHI: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame

Chicago absolutely must find a long-term solution at quarterback, ideally one who can create his own offense. Kizer is my top-rated QB by a hair and should be a good fit with the run-oriented Fox offense.

4. JAX: Dalvin Cook, RB, FSU

Jacksonville loves drafting athletes from Florida in the first round under Dave Caldwell, and running back is a big need with both Yeldon and Ivory fighting injuries and ineffective play the past two seasons. Cook provides explosiveness that can help Jacksonville's offense, which ranked just 14th in PPG even during Blake Bortles' great sophomore season.

5. TEN: Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama

Tennessee could stand to add more talent on the defensive line, which currently features just star Jurrell Casey and second-year NT Austin Johnson as starters. Allen is arguably the top player in the class and is an immediate playmaker on defense.

6. NYJ: Jamal Adams, S, LSU

With the third-worst pass defense (by passer rating) in the league, secondary or pass rush help is a necessity. Adams is a game-changing safety in the Troy Polamalu mold who should make everyone's jobs easier in the secondary.

7. LAC: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Safety play was poor for the Chargers last season, and while offensive line help would be great, building a strong defense to help Phil Rivers seems to be the plan right now. Hooker drops a little due to offseason surgery, but it is doubtful the Chargers pass anyways.

8. CAR: Derek Barnett, Edge, Tennessee

Barnett was one of the most productive edge rushers in the country during his time at Tennessee, with the ability to play inside and outside while winning in a number of different ways. There were times he was a better player than 1st overall pick Myles Garrett even. Carolina struggled badly to get pressure off the edge last season, which needs to improve if they want to continue patching things together cheaply in the secondary.

9. CIN: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt

Cincinnati was just flat-out bad defensively in 2016, although the raw stats kindly place them around league average. Part of the problem is slow, unathletic linebacker play that Cunningham can help with. Cincinnati may finally be able to cover running backs and tight ends without giving up strength in the running game to do so.

10. BUF: OJ Howard, TE, Alabama

Howard provides a big upgrade on offense over former expensive free agent Charles Clay, who finished with 37 YPG and under 10 YPR despite having the second-most catches for Buffalo last season. Having an all-around stud at the tight end position is another step for Buffalo towards having a respectable group of skill position players to carry their offense.

11. NO: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

Defense is a higher priority for the Saints, but they don't pass up on the homegrown talent at a position of need. Ingram has struggled to fill a full-time role, and a reliable running game would do wonders for keeping the defense fresh and off the field. It also helps the Saints transition to the post-Brees world.

12. CLE: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

While Mitch Trubisky would be a great pick at this point, I have Cleveland continuing to go best player available at a need position. That is Lattimore, who immediately upgrades the CB position that was formerly handled by Joe Haden and a cast of thousands opposite him.

13. ARI: John Ross, WR, Washington

With Michael Floyd gone, Larry Fitzgerald near retirement, and John Brown struggling with his health, receiver has suddenly become a need in the desert. Ross has speed for days that would be absolutely deadly in the deep threat No. 2 role of a Bruce Arians offense.

14. IND: Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford

Henry Anderson was the first good defensive lineman the Colts had drafted in over a decade, and he promptly suffered a potentially career-altering lower-body injury as a rookie. Going back to the Stanford well again, Thomas has the physical ability to be a Cam Jordan type defender for the defense-less Colts.

15. PHI: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

It is actually pretty easy to see Davis falling out of the first round after skipping the Senior Bowl and not performing at the Combine, but he's still up in the teens on my board for now. Philadelphia would love a big, strong, reliable target on the perimeter of the passing game, especially a Brandon Marshall clone like Davis.

16. BAL: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Tavon Young came on strong late for Baltimore while Jimmy Smith was good in brief spurts of health. Jones may be a year away, which gives Baltimore time to evaluate Jimmy Smith and decide if they want to let him go after another season. In the meantime, Jones has immense upside and can lock down a 3rd or 4th corner spot as a rookie.

17. WAS: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan

Defensive line was a mess for Washington in 2017, with just a platoon of older or untalented players anchoring the 27th-ranked run defense. Wormley is a good all-around player and, more importantly, just a plain-old good football player.

18. TEN: Adoree Jackson, CB, USC

Although not the top defender or player on the board, Jackson has something almost no other prospect has at this juncture: pure athleticism. He can impact the game as a star slot corner and as a return man, both needs for the Titans as they try to build an AFC South contender.

19. TB: Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

A bit high for Davis, but his instincts and athleticism would be greatly appreciated in the middle of the Tampa defense. Kwon Alexander should be a two-down player and Daryl Smith already is at this stage of his career.

20. DEN: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

A remarkable drop for the top left tackle prospect in the class, largely due to a lack of need at the position from 10-19, is Denver's gain. Ramczyk has a hip issue, but is otherwise an excellent prospect who solidifies Denver's least-effective position group in 2016.

21. DET: DeMarcus Walker, DT, FSU

Walker is undersized for a traditional defensive tackle. However, I see him as a good fit as a hybrid end-tackle prospect who can move inside and out depending on down and distance. He simply made plays for Florida State the past two years, racking up 26.5 sacks over the past two seasons against FBS opponents.

22. MIA: Taylor Moton, G, Western Michigan

Miami is taking the Dallas approach to building an offensive line here, with a fourth first-round pick drafted by them on the offensive line. Moton can play guard or right tackle, but probably the former given Miami's struggles at the position in recent years. Moton is a fantastic small school prospect and makes it two first-rounders for Western Michigan.

23. NYG: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

This is a long drop for Trubisky, who had hopes of going in the top-5 until a low ceiling and poor height hurt his prospects. Nonetheless, New York has begun thinking about a post-Eli franchise and picks up a potential successor at this point.

24. OAK: David Njoku, TE, Miami (FL)

It can never hurt to give your star quarterback more weapons. Oakland wants to give Derek Carr as much help as it can, with a seam-stretching tight end in the mold of pre-injury Jermichael Finley available. Fellow Miami alum Clive Walford was an acceptable starter last year but failed to make much of a long-term claim.

25. HOU: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

With several years of incompetent QB play, Houston may finally bite the bullet and draft a prospect who can actually play. Watson has some great physical traits to work with, and he may not be pressed into duty early as a rookie with Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage competing ahead of him. In any case, O'Brien could use some talent to develop while the defense can continue to carry the team to playoff contention.

26. SEA: Jalen Tabor, CB, Florida

Seattle has gotten by for years with just one high draft pick in the secondary, but two of their top four players suffered serious injuries this year and the other pair have fought nagging issues for the last two seasons. Tabor has the length and mentality of a Seattle cornerback, and his reckless ballhawking can be reined in by the veteran members of the Legion of Boom.

27. KC: Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky

If you're going to roll with Alex Smith at quarterback, you need to give him a lot of help. Offensive line is not a strength of the Kansas City offense, so adding a top guard like Lamp could boost the offensive production significantly.

28. DAL: Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn

Defensive tackle has not been a particular strong point of the Dallas defense, which often gets by on excellent coaching more than individual talent. Adams has some issues as a player, but he is also a phenomenal athlete for the position and should be a strong complement for their undersized DL like David Irving and Tyrone Crawford.

29. GB: Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi

Although undersized, Engram was a nightmarish matchup problem for everyone he played against the past several seasons at Ole Miss. Green Bay has Jared Cook, who will likely be resigned as a free agent, but they need to think to the future and continue giving Aaron Rodgers a Jordan Reed-like target to lean on.

30. PIT: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

A big drop for Williams, a near-consensus top-10 pick elsewhere, but I do not feel he is a consistent or high football IQ player. Nonetheless, Pittsburgh has a lot of questions at receiver with Antonio Brown's upcoming contract, Martavis Bryant's suspension issues, and Sammie Coates' inability to catch a football. Williams is a bigger target with the athleticism to get open and do some damage if he puts it all together.

31. NE: Taco Charlton, Edge, Michigan

New England does not have a consistent or threatening edge rush presence right now, with Jabaal Sheard expected to walk in free agency and a fluky Trey Flowers leading the team in sacks. Charlton is not a dominant force on the edge, but makes up for that with discipline and strong run defense.

32. ATL: Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington

While this is high for Qualls, he does fit the typical nose tackle type and would be a boost for Atlanta's interior run defense. Additionally, he may be athletic enough to provide some pass rush ability on early downs. With the 26th-ranked run defense in 2016, Atlanta could certainly use the help up the middle.
    Originally posted by jepg
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    Blue is right

So I'm guessing after you saw how high up Charlie had Wormley you went and had a change of heart?

Comment

Minor note, but Austin Johnson wasn't starting for the Titans.

Not a big fan of Allen there because of the late season injury, (Bama injury screams unsafe to me), but that's a tough pick for the Titans. No corner is worth taking there, so if they can't trade out, it'll probably be their BPA, which could be Allen. Just depends on whether they re-sign Klug and if they are satisfied with DaQuan Jones.

I'd take Tabor at 18, but that's just a difference in CB rankings. Jackson fills two needs and actually has the physicality to play the run too, unlike Lattimore, Conley, Wilson, and Tabor.

I like Foster that high, actually. Dude's a stud. I have him as the No. 3 overall player on my BB.
      Last edited by Daniel; 02-02-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Nobody wants to cooperate with my Colts draft.

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
        I like Foster that high, actually. Dude's a stud. I have him as the No. 3 overall player on my BB.
        He's in my top 4 (I'm only doing groupings this year rather than numbered slots) along with Allen, Adams, and Garrett.

Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

3 edge rushers and 1 offensive tackle in the first feels light
          CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

Originally posted by JLash View Post
            So I'm guessing after you saw how high up Charlie had Wormley you went and had a change of heart?
            I watched him after I saw how high Charlie had him-hadn't really paid attention to him before then. He's in the early 20s on my board, but he was the top guy who made sense for Washington at that point.

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
            Minor note, but Austin Johnson wasn't starting for the Titans.

Not a big fan of Allen there because of the late season injury, (Bama injury screams unsafe to me), but that's a tough pick for the Titans. No corner is worth taking there, so if they can't trade out, it'll probably be their BPA, which could be Allen. Just depends on whether they re-sign Klug and if they are satisfied with DaQuan Jones.

I'd take Tabor at 18, but that's just a difference in CB rankings. Jackson fills two needs and actually has the physicality to play the run too, unlike Lattimore, Conley, Wilson, and Tabor.

I know, I'm projecting for next season. Although I guess it wouldn't shock me if Johnson rode the bench another year.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Allen injury. As far as I can tell, he was never hurt this past season. He had a shoulder injury almost two years ago and that's the most recent thing I can find.

Fair enough. I like Jackson's versatility a little more than Tabor's size.

Foster No. 2 on mine, which makes two Alabama players at the top. 6 of my top 7 are defensive players, 3 of my top 8 are from Alabama, and 7 of my top 10 are SEC. 5 of those top 10 are from the SEC West. The SEC may not have been a great conference this year, but they sure produced a lot of defensive talent.

Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post
            3 edge rushers and 1 offensive tackle in the first feels light
            I agree. It's based off my personal board though, and I'm not high on any of the tackles in this class. Same with the edge rushers-I actually have Charlton as a 2nd rounder, but 32 guys gotta get drafted in the first round.

Blue is right

Comment

Originally posted by Blue View Post

The value on the board does not match up with SF's needs, and I think they ultimately trade out of this spot. If they stay put, I expect them to trade or sign a QB rather than draft one. Foster is the top linebacker in the class and should be a fixture in the middle of the defense for the next 8 years.

Jacksonville loves drafting athletes from Florida in the first round under Dave Caldwell, and running back is a big need with both Yeldon and Ivory fighting injuries and ineffective play the past two seasons. Cook provides explosiveness that can help Jacksonville's offense, which ranked just 14th in PPG even during Blake Bortles' great sophomore season.

Tennessee could stand to add more talent on the defensive line, which currently features just star Jurrell Casey and second-year NT Austin Johnson as starters. Allen is arguably the top player in the class and is an immediate playmaker on defense.

Howard provides a big upgrade on offense over former expensive free agent Charles Clay, who finished with 37 YPG and under 10 YPR despite having the second-most catches for Buffalo last season. Having an all-around stud at the tight end position is another step for Buffalo towards having a respectable group of skill position players to carry their offense.

Defense is a higher priority for the Saints, but they don't pass up on the homegrown talent at a position of need. Ingram has struggled to fill a full-time role, and a reliable running game would do wonders for keeping the defense fresh and off the field. It also helps the Saints transition to the post-Brees world.

With Michael Floyd gone, Larry Fitzgerald near retirement, and John Brown struggling with his health, receiver has suddenly become a need in the desert. Ross has speed for days that would be absolutely deadly in the deep threat No. 2 role of a Bruce Arians offense.

Walker is undersized for a traditional defensive tackle. However, I see him as a good fit as a hybrid end-tackle prospect who can move inside and out depending on down and distance. He simply made plays for Florida State the past two years, racking up 26.5 sacks over the past two seasons against FBS opponents.

Miami is taking the Dallas approach to building an offensive line here, with a fourth first-round pick drafted by them on the offensive line. Moton can play guard or right tackle, but probably the former given Miami's struggles at the position in recent years. Moton is a fantastic small school prospect and makes it two first-rounders for Western Michigan.

This is a long drop for Trubisky, who had hopes of going in the top-5 until a low ceiling and poor height hurt his prospects. Nonetheless, New York has begun thinking about a post-Eli franchise and picks up a potential successor at this point.

It can never hurt to give your star quarterback more weapons. Oakland wants to give Derek Carr as much help as it can, with a seam-stretching tight end in the mold of pre-injury Jermichael Finley available. Fellow Miami alum Clive Walford was an acceptable starter last year but failed to make much of a long-term claim.

Defensive tackle has not been a particular strong point of the Dallas defense, which often gets by on excellent coaching more than individual talent. Adams has some issues as a player, but he is also a phenomenal athlete for the position and should be a strong complement for their undersized DL like David Irving and Tyrone Crawford.

Although undersized, Engram was a nightmarish matchup problem for everyone he played against the past several seasons at Ole Miss. Green Bay has Jared Cook, who will likely be resigned as a free agent, but they need to think to the future and continue giving Aaron Rodgers a Jordan Reed-like target to lean on.

A big drop for Williams, a near-consensus top-10 pick elsewhere, but I do not feel he is a consistent or high football IQ player. Nonetheless, Pittsburgh has a lot of questions at receiver with Antonio Brown's upcoming contract, Martavis Bryant's suspension issues, and Sammie Coates' inability to catch a football. Williams is a bigger target with the athleticism to get open and do some damage if he puts it all together.

New England does not have a consistent or threatening edge rush presence right now, with Jabaal Sheard expected to walk in free agency and a fluky Trey Flowers leading the team in sacks. Charlton is not a dominant force on the edge, but makes up for that with discipline and strong run defense.

While this is high for Qualls, he does fit the typical nose tackle type and would be a boost for Atlanta's interior run defense. Additionally, he may be athletic enough to provide some pass rush ability on early downs. With the 26th-ranked run defense in 2016, Atlanta could certainly use the help up the middle.
              Ok, picks that stood out.

2. No way they go LB that high as you said, but he would be a pick I could see Lynch making if they trade back.
              4. I disagree here. Jax has much bigger needs and I can not see a team with Coughlin drafting any RB that high.
              5. If he falls to 5, the Titans would loooove him.
              10. Unconventional pick and likely based on if they re-sign Tyrod. But I really like the fit.
              11. I get the reasoning, but this is a deep draft at RB. They could wait till the 2nd for a CB though.
              13. I haven't seen this pick anywhere yet, but I love it. Assuming Palmer doesn't retire and can get him the ball.
              21. Not a fan of this pick. I think it's high for a tweener guy and there are better DL guys available.
              22. I guess this is a possibility if Albert is gone, as they'd need help at either guard spot. But I don't like the value at all.
              23. Makes a lot of sense and it would definitely cause a stir in NY. But they'll need DL help bad.
              24. That offense with Njoku would be terrifying.
              28. I like the position, but I have Adams as more of a 2nd-3rd round guy. Inconsistent motors are scary.
              29. A bit high imo, but he'd be so much fun in our offense.
              30. How much would Pitt love for this to happen?
              31. You like Taco this high? I'm just worried about how little he played in college.
              32. Another guy I don't have nearly this high. Honestly, I know very little about him. CB would be more likely imo.

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Allen injury. As far as I can tell, he was never hurt this past season. He had a shoulder injury almost two years ago and that's the most recent thing I can find.
                Oh you haven't heard? The "unconfirmed" new shoulder surgery?? It sounded like full blown bs to me when it came out and it still sounds that way to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post

Ok, picks that stood out.

2. No way they go LB that high as you said, but he would be a pick I could see Lynch making if they trade back.
                  4. I disagree here. Jax has much bigger needs and I can not see a team with Coughlin drafting any RB that high.
                  5. If he falls to 5, the Titans would loooove him.
                  10. Unconventional pick and likely based on if they re-sign Tyrod. But I really like the fit.
                  11. I get the reasoning, but this is a deep draft at RB. They could wait till the 2nd for a CB though.
                  13. I haven't seen this pick anywhere yet, but I love it. Assuming Palmer doesn't retire and can get him the ball.
                  21. Not a fan of this pick. I think it's high for a tweener guy and there are better DL guys available.
                  22. I guess this is a possibility if Albert is gone, as they'd need help at either guard spot. But I don't like the value at all.
                  23. Makes a lot of sense and it would definitely cause a stir in NY. But they'll need DL help bad.
                  24. That offense with Njoku would be terrifying.
                  28. I like the position, but I have Adams as more of a 2nd-3rd round guy. Inconsistent motors are scary.
                  29. A bit high imo, but he'd be so much fun in our offense.
                  30. How much would Pitt love for this to happen?
                  31. You like Taco this high? I'm just worried about how little he played in college.
                  32. Another guy I don't have nearly this high. Honestly, I know very little about him. CB would be more likely imo.
                  2. Totally fair, I don't like putting an off-ball backer that high but there are a lot of low-value positions at the top of my board.

4. New York took David Wilson in the first round with Coughlin as head coach. He's always been a run-first guy as well. I can definitely see it.

11. I think there's a big drop-off from the top two backs to the next tier. These two and maybe Samaje Perine/Jeremy McNichols are the only bellcows.

21. I know there are quite a few concerns with Walker, but when it comes down to it, he was one of the best college defensive players I saw this year.

22. I don't think Albert matters for Miami's draft plans at all. Pouncy has also been unreliable in recent years, don't forget. Moton could also kick out to tackle if James walks in a year.

23. After cutting Victor Cruz and Rashad Jennings, New York will have a little over $35 million to resign Hankins and/or Pierre-Paul. They have some depth on the line with Owa, Okwara, and Bromley too. I highly doubt they look DL early.

28. I have Adams as a second-rounder, but again, 32 guys have to go in the first. He's at 31 overall.

31. No, he's just next man up on my board (33rd overall). He started 4 games prior to this season and played a bunch as a junior. Michigan's DL rotation is varied enough that it isn't a big concern for me.

32. See 28. When we get down to these picks, it's really hard because it is so dependent on what individual teams' boards look like and how they see these players fitting into their schemes. There aren't a ton of scheme-transcendent players at the bottom of the first round.

Blue is right

Comment

Walker is a 4-3 edge/3-4 INT. He's an interior 3rd down rusher.

Comment

Fair enough. I like Jackson's versatility a little more than Tabor's size.

Foster No. 2 on mine, which makes two Alabama players at the top. 6 of my top 7 are defensive players, 3 of my top 8 are from Alabama, and 7 of my top 10 are SEC. 5 of those top 10 are from the SEC West. The SEC may not have been a great conference this year, but they sure produced a lot of defensive talent.
                      Yeah, like JLash said, it's rumored, not confirmed. I'm more worried about it being true than he is since he already had two shoulder surgeries, but it could be bull****. I also try to stay away Bama players generally, since they tend to be overdrafted and often come with a ton of wear and tear at the Pro level. When I hear even rumors about an injury, with that team's history, it concerns me. If he does well at the combine, he's a top player for sure.

Realistically, I'm not going to love any pick at this spot for Tennessee. My big board (and most other people's) just doesn't match up with their needs. Foster and Allen are stud players, but the Titans have one good and one decent ILB, and they already have a great DE set with Casey and Jones. Adams makes sense, but I honestly think that's a little early to take him. Ditto with Mike Williams.

I think the Titans will try to trade down from the first pick if at all possible. They may release McCourty, their best corner, when corner was already the biggest need on the team. They can't get out of the first round without one, IMO.

Comment

Are you sure DaQuan Jones is not just getting extra love? He's a 322 pound non NT.

Comment

I could see Lynch trading back with ten for a couple selections (not 5. 19, first next year and a second or something of that nature) and picking peppers because #hardhittingsafety
                          A mans reputation is what his friends say about him. His character is what his enemies say about him

Live everyday as if it is your last, one day it will be

Life has defining moments, define the moment or the moment will define you

Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable giving your 2 best friends keys to your house. If not, find new best friends

Dont trust a women who doesn't close her eyes when you kiss her

Comment

2. Totally fair, I don't like putting an off-ball backer that high but there are a lot of low-value positions at the top of my board.

4. New York took David Wilson in the first round with Coughlin as head coach. He's always been a run-first guy as well. I can definitely see it.

11. I think there's a big drop-off from the top two backs to the next tier. These two and maybe Samaje Perine/Jeremy McNichols are the only bellcows.

21. I know there are quite a few concerns with Walker, but when it comes down to it, he was one of the best college defensive players I saw this year.

22. I don't think Albert matters for Miami's draft plans at all. Pouncy has also been unreliable in recent years, don't forget. Moton could also kick out to tackle if James walks in a year.

23. After cutting Victor Cruz and Rashad Jennings, New York will have a little over $35 million to resign Hankins and/or Pierre-Paul. They have some depth on the line with Owa, Okwara, and Bromley too. I highly doubt they look DL early.

28. I have Adams as a second-rounder, but again, 32 guys have to go in the first. He's at 31 overall.

31. No, he's just next man up on my board (33rd overall). He started 4 games prior to this season and played a bunch as a junior. Michigan's DL rotation is varied enough that it isn't a big concern for me.

32. See 28. When we get down to these picks, it's really hard because it is so dependent on what individual teams' boards look like and how they see these players fitting into their schemes. There aren't a ton of scheme-transcendent players at the bottom of the first round.
                            2. I agree that Reuben is a great prospect. I get you.
                            4. I forgot about David Wilson. I still think they have much bigger needs.
                            11. I agree on the drop-off but I think it's Fournette, then Cook a bit after then everyone else. But I think there are a couple of other RBs that are bellcow capable.
                            21. Fair enough. Do you think he could be a Melvin Ingram type player? I saw some similarities in how they were used in college.
                            22. Probably true. James played very well down the stretch so I think they re-sign him. And yes, Pouncey has been annoyingly hurt.
                            23. I doubt the re-sign both though. I could see an early DL pick especially if Hankins walks.(I doubt JPP does).
                            28. I have him more towards the third round myself.
                            31. Ok, I just knew he wasn't staring at the beginning of the season. I know there wasn't a tone of production until the last 2/3rds of the year.
                            32. I haven't looked into him much at all so you could be right.

Comment

1. CLE: Myles Garrett, Edge, Texas A&M

The no-brainer pick, Garrett is the top player in the draft at an impact position. Jonathan Allen is the only other prospect I would consider at this spot.

3. CHI: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame

Chicago absolutely must find a long-term solution at quarterback, ideally one who can create his own offense. Kizer is my top-rated QB by a hair and should be a good fit with the run-oriented Fox offense.

6. NYJ: Jamal Adams, S, LSU

With the third-worst pass defense (by passer rating) in the league, secondary or pass rush help is a necessity. Adams is a game-changing safety in the Troy Polamalu mold who should make everyone's jobs easier in the secondary.

7. LAC: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Safety play was poor for the Chargers last season, and while offensive line help would be great, building a strong defense to help Phil Rivers seems to be the plan right now. Hooker drops a little due to offseason surgery, but it is doubtful the Chargers pass anyways.

8. CAR: Derek Barnett, Edge, Tennessee

Barnett was one of the most productive edge rushers in the country during his time at Tennessee, with the ability to play inside and outside while winning in a number of different ways. There were times he was a better player than 1st overall pick Myles Garrett even. Carolina struggled badly to get pressure off the edge last season, which needs to improve if they want to continue patching things together cheaply in the secondary.

9. CIN: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt

Cincinnati was just flat-out bad defensively in 2016, although the raw stats kindly place them around league average. Part of the problem is slow, unathletic linebacker play that Cunningham can help with. Cincinnati may finally be able to cover running backs and tight ends without giving up strength in the running game to do so.

12. CLE: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

While Mitch Trubisky would be a great pick at this point, I have Cleveland continuing to go best player available at a need position. That is Lattimore, who immediately upgrades the CB position that was formerly handled by Joe Haden and a cast of thousands opposite him.

14. IND: Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford

Henry Anderson was the first good defensive lineman the Colts had drafted in over a decade, and he promptly suffered a potentially career-altering lower-body injury as a rookie. Going back to the Stanford well again, Thomas has the physical ability to be a Cam Jordan type defender for the defense-less Colts.

15. PHI: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

It is actually pretty easy to see Davis falling out of the first round after skipping the Senior Bowl and not performing at the Combine, but he's still up in the teens on my board for now. Philadelphia would love a big, strong, reliable target on the perimeter of the passing game, especially a Brandon Marshall clone like Davis.

16. BAL: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Tavon Young came on strong late for Baltimore while Jimmy Smith was good in brief spurts of health. Jones may be a year away, which gives Baltimore time to evaluate Jimmy Smith and decide if they want to let him go after another season. In the meantime, Jones has immense upside and can lock down a 3rd or 4th corner spot as a rookie.

17. WAS: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan

Defensive line was a mess for Washington in 2017, with just a platoon of older or untalented players anchoring the 27th-ranked run defense. Wormley is a good all-around player and, more importantly, just a plain-old good football player.

18. TEN: Adoree Jackson, CB, USC

Although not the top defender or player on the board, Jackson has something almost no other prospect has at this juncture: pure athleticism. He can impact the game as a star slot corner and as a return man, both needs for the Titans as they try to build an AFC South contender.

19. TB: Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

A bit high for Davis, but his instincts and athleticism would be greatly appreciated in the middle of the Tampa defense. Kwon Alexander should be a two-down player and Daryl Smith already is at this stage of his career.

20. DEN: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

A remarkable drop for the top left tackle prospect in the class, largely due to a lack of need at the position from 10-19, is Denver's gain. Ramczyk has a hip issue, but is otherwise an excellent prospect who solidifies Denver's least-effective position group in 2016.

25. HOU: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

With several years of incompetent QB play, Houston may finally bite the bullet and draft a prospect who can actually play. Watson has some great physical traits to work with, and he may not be pressed into duty early as a rookie with Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage competing ahead of him. In any case, O'Brien could use some talent to develop while the defense can continue to carry the team to playoff contention.

26. SEA: Jalen Tabor, CB, Florida

Seattle has gotten by for years with just one high draft pick in the secondary, but two of their top four players suffered serious injuries this year and the other pair have fought nagging issues for the last two seasons. Tabor has the length and mentality of a Seattle cornerback, and his reckless ballhawking can be reined in by the veteran members of the Legion of Boom.

27. KC: Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky

If you're going to roll with Alex Smith at quarterback, you need to give him a lot of help. Offensive line is not a strength of the Kansas City offense, so adding a top guard like Lamp could boost the offensive production significantly.

Watson will never be a Texan if OB has any say. He has none on personal except for ideas, but Smith and McNair (who has more input than you think) call the shots.

Watson grades as a 3rd-5th round pick. Inaccurate and you can't teach that. And he is not good at reading a D. Drive and desire he has...but the other 2 things are making scouts put him as a backup unless he has SB talent on D and amazing weapons.

Comment

Working...
                              X