The Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx - Aaron Rodgers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx - Aaron Rodgers

Most everyone knows of the Sports Illustrated cover jinx...

"The Sports Illustrated Jinx is a myth that states that individuals or teams who appear on the cover of the Sports Illustrated magazine will subsequently experience bad luck.

While the list of "examples" of the jinx may be extensive, an individual record 49 cover appearances by Michael Jordan did not hinder his success. Similarly, Vince Young also overcame the Sport Illustrated jinx by appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice during Texas' National Championship season.

SI addressed their own opinions on the "alleged" cover jinx in a 2002 issue that featured a black cat on the cover.

The most common explanation for the perceived effect is that athletes are generally featured on the cover at the pinnacle of their careers, so future performance is likely to be less impressive by comparison. This decline in performance would then be perceived as being related to, or even possibly caused by, the appearance on the magazine cover. This perceived correlation is present for a statistically significant number of featured athletes. This effect is related to the statistical phenomenon of regression toward the mean.

This explanation does not apply to rookies or others who are featured relatively early in their careers.
    "

Look who's on the 7 September cover...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1283/index.htm
    sigpic

I may live in Florida, but I bleed Chicago navy & orange

What a wierd looking picture.
    "I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work. " - George Carlin

Comment

no way Rodgers trips up this year. he's been absolutely money during the preseason and unless Albert Haynesworth lays his fat *** on him like he did to Brady, he's going to dominate.

Comment

Romo has the same kind of cover doesn't he?
        LIVE NFL Draft Blog

DraftZoo.com

DraftZoo on Twitter

DraftZoo on Facebook

Comment

Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tony Romo are all featured on the cover as well. It's a regional cover.
          Originally posted by jepg
          I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
          Originally posted by jepg
          Blue is right

Comment

Originally posted by blue5213 View Post
            Ben Roethlisberger are all featured on the cover as well. It's a regional cover.
            Great first Madden now this.

Comment

Like they said Ben Roethlisberger is on mine ... and Tony Romo and others on the cover too!!

Comment

I have never believed in this curse. The Madden curse has hurt more people.

Comment

I have him in both of my fantasy leagues. He better not get bad luck.

Comment

Brady wasn't on the 2008 preview cover. Neither was Pollard.

Comment

Working...
                    X