Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How necessary are elite LTs for a franchise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How necessary are elite LTs for a franchise?

If you have been on this site for more than a day, you know that Walt says that you need a very good LT to do well in this league. I believed this for a while until I looked at the past few years and which LTs won SBs and even made the playoffs.

I will have a key next to each OT with how he grades out:

E=Elite
    VG=Very good
    G=Good
    A=Average
    SP=Subpar
    P=Poor

2009:

SB Winning LT: Bushrod (SP)
    Other SB LT: Johnson (SP)

Other LTs in the playoffs:

Flozell Adams (SP)
    Bryant McKinnie (SP)
    Chad Clifton (A)
    Mike Gandy (SP)
    Jason Peters (VG)
    Jared Gaither (E)
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson (VG/E)
    Matt Light (G)
    Marcus McNeill (A)
    Andrew Whitworth (G/VG)

2008 SB Winning LT: Max Starks (P)
    2008 SB Losing LT: Mike Gandy (SP)

2007 SB Winning LT: David Diehl (P)
    2007 SB Losing LT: Matt Light (E)

That stats do not lie. Maybe LTs are overrated a bit here.
    Last edited by wraith36444; 03-17-2010, 06:28 PM.

I disagree with a few of your grades but you do bring up an interesting point. KC Joyner wrote a book about this a few years and one of his big arguments is pointing out that some of the more successful teams didn't have elite left tackles:
    http://www.amazon.com/Blindsided-Ove.../dp/0470124091

Comment

Clifton was elite, especially before his injury and age began to take a toll
      And now for something completely different

Comment

Colts and Saints LT both sucked. You can make up for it with a great scheme and the rest of the OL being competent
        "Hey, don't hate, accelerate!"

Team CKane

Comment

Originally posted by packman_jon View Post
          Clifton was elite, especially before his injury and age began to take a toll
          This year he was not though.

Which grades seem to be way off? I do not want to hear why Starks is only subpar as opposed to poor, but why someone who I marked as average or below is very good or elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Sitisfit View Post
            Colts and Saints LT both sucked. You can make up for it with a great scheme and the rest of the OL being competent
            Also Brees has a quick release and both him and Peyton feel the rush and can move away from it.
            sigpic

Comment

And last year?

Comment

How is Peters VG?

I agree and have been trying to tell people this in the CMD.

Comment

Whoa whoa. Matt Light was defiantly an 'E' in 2007. He was the best OT that season. He just got debacled in the SB...

Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan
                  I hate you Kyle Orton, I hate your family, I hate your dog, if you have cats I hate those, I also hate any fish you have, I hate your hobbies, I hope you fail at most things you do.

Comment

Originally posted by mpg1995 View Post
                    How is Peters VG?

I agree and have been trying to tell people this in the CMD.
                    Basically the elite tackles IMO are: Thomas, Long, Gaither and Ferguson is borderline

Comment

Originally posted by wraith36444 View Post
                      Basically the elite tackles IMO are: Thomas, Long, Gaither and Ferguson is borderline
                      I know you hate him but I think Clady is elite.

Comment

Just saw Light's 2007 stats. Agreed and changed

Comment

I agree with the direction you are going, but I think you have to take into account the Quarterback's abilities as well. Manning doesn't need anything more than an average tackle because he reads defenses so well and knows when he has to get rid of the ball, making his lineman look good on paper in the process. Conversely Big Ben needs 5 bulldozers in front of him because he holds the ball forever and subsequently takes many sacks making his line look bad on paper.

Blindside pressure has derailed many a career, ask Carr and Harrington to name some recent ones. I think it is imperative in the maturation process for a young QB to be able to deal with the pressure and gain a level of comfort and trust with his line. Gaither was there for Flacco, Baker for Ryan, D'Brick for Sanchez and Backus for Stafford. The first two mentioned were obviously successful and maybe it can in some way be attributed to the LT protection. Sanchez had success in his rookie, but not on the level of Flacco and Ryan. If he didn't have someone of D'Brickshaw's caliber my guess is he would have looked real bad most of the season. Stafford looked promising as a rookie, is this in spite of Backus being the perceived awful LT he isn't. I think Backus is average as a LT and Stafford would've had a much tougher time with an inferior lineman.

My conclusion is that LT is a much more important position for a younger QB transitioning to the accelerated speed of the NFL. As a QB matures and settles, it is less important to have that "elite" LT to protect his blindside.
                          pheltzbahr 2016 NFL Mock

Comment

Originally posted by mpg1995 View Post
                            I know you hate him but I think Clady is elite.
                            Lets play a game:

Tackle A gives up: 1 sack, 6 hits and 36 pressure
                            Tackle B gives up: 0 sacks, 7 hits and 37 pressures

Tackle C gives up: 8 sacks, 6 hits and 20 pressures
                            Tackle D gives up: 8 sacks, 6 hits and 25 pressures

Who are tackles A-D?

Comment

Originally posted by pheltzbahr View Post
                              I agree with the direction you are going, but I think you have to take into account the Quarterback's abilities as well. Manning doesn't need anything more than an average tackle because he reads defenses so well and knows when he has to get rid of the ball, making his lineman look good on paper in the process. Conversely Big Ben needs 5 bulldozers in front of him because he holds the ball forever and subsequently takes many sacks making his line look bad on paper.

Blindside pressure has derailed many a career, ask Carr and Harrington to name some recent ones. I think it is imperative in the maturation process for a young QB to be able to deal with the pressure and gain a level of comfort and trust with his line. Gaither was there for Flacco, Baker for Ryan, D'Brick for Sanchez and Backus for Stafford. The first two mentioned were obviously successful and maybe it can in some way be attributed to the LT protection. Sanchez had success in his rookie, but not on the level of Flacco and Ryan. If he didn't have someone of D'Brickshaw's caliber my guess is he would have looked real bad most of the season. Stafford looked promising as a rookie, is this in spite of Backus being the perceived awful LT he isn't. I think Backus is average as a LT and Stafford would've had a much tougher time with an inferior lineman.

My conclusion is that LT is a much more important position for a younger QB transitioning to the accelerated speed of the NFL. As a QB matures and settles, it is less important to have that "elite" LT to protect his blindside.
                              True I think it is much more important in the QB's formative years

Comment

Working...
                              X