Blaine Gabbert's Draft Stock Slipping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutty View Post
    Yeah that's true, good point. I just don't get the feeling that any real work is done unitl this time of the year. I would think that scouting department people have more important things in-season than watching college prospects
    AFAIK, nearly all the scouting work that could be called somewhat extensive is done regionally, near the teams' headquarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade View Post
      AFAIK, nearly all the scouting work that could be called somewhat extensive is done regionally, near the teams' headquarters.
      I would think that in-season, those guys are 100% focused on scouting future opponent teams and players. Watching college kids is more or less a waste of resources, they'll have more than enough time to focus on that stuff from February till the end of April

Comment

I would think that in-season, those guys are 100% focused on scouting future opponent teams and players. Watching college kids is more or less a waste of resources, they'll have more than enough time to focus on that stuff from February till the end of April
        Teams have a lot of scouts, though. IIRC, they have some designated as college scouts, and some as NFL scouts (not exactly that terminology, but you get the gist)

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade View Post
          Teams have a lot of scouts, though. IIRC, they have some designated as college scouts, and some as NFL scouts (not exactly that terminology, but you get the gist)
          I don't think teams have full-time scouts dedicated to just college football 12 months out of the year, at least not more than one. I could only imagine walking into Andy Reid's office to tell him about Bruce Carter, and he'd probably tell me to stop bothering him with this shit when he has the Giants in 4 days.

I think we overblow just how much attention the NFL gives to the draft during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
            According to ESPN's Mel Kiper, Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert's draft stock has begun "slipping" heading into the Scouting Combine.

According to Kiper, Gabbert's fall has occurred after NFL teams did "more film work" on the underclassman's junior year. It's true that Gabbert did not dominate his competition in 2010, throwing for 16 touchdowns compared to nine picks and averaging an unimpressive 6.71 yards per attempt. Gabbert was much better as a sophomore. The Combine starts on February 24.

Did these NFL teams simply not watch college football until now?
            scouting process
            step 1: listen to mcshay blindly
            step 2: actually watch tape
            http://www.footballfanspot.com/

Comment

I don't think teams have full-time scouts dedicated to just college football 12 months out of the year, at least not more than one. I could only imagine walking into Andy Reid's office to tell him about Bruce Carter, and he'd probably tell me to stop bothering him with this shit when he has the Giants in 4 days.

I think we overblow just how much attention the NFL gives to the draft during the season.
              There are scouts that specifically watch college players. I think for the early rounds, teams have their boards generally set once the college season ends. The reason mocks change is because of the misinformation that teams and "draft experts" give.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Silver and Black View Post
                I wouldn't be surprised if he falls to the late 1st round.
                Pete Carroll may take a chance on him however. He may count on Hasselback for another year o two and get Gabbo ready for the future.
                Noooooooooooooo don't say things like this.

Comment

The Bills will draft Gabbert. I have a horrible feeling about it.

Comment

I don't think Andy Reid would care during the season but I bet he wants to know as much as he can after he takes a week off.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rodriguez View Post
                      The Bills will draft Gabbert. I have a horrible feeling about it.
                      i honestly have a gut feeling of this too...when they were supposed to have gone for it last year and didn't, they heard everyone criticize it so i feel now they will revisit the idea and botch this years pick too
                      Originally posted by eagles1990
                      "Need to get a first down.... But that ref's ass is just so nice!!!"-Brady
                      Originally posted by Antec
                      A horse doesn't want you to rape it.
                      Originally posted by GongKong
                      Athletes are super into the gang banging of chicks. It breeds team work.
                      GIFSoup

Comment

I live under the impression that Kiper/McShay/Mayock/Schefter(since he ruins the actual draft now by telling everyone the picks in advance I add him to the hate list) all get about 80% of their info in one way or another from scouts. So it's no shock to me that the same week that the 'Cam Newton stock is rising' info comes out when 'Blaine Gabert's stock is slipping.' I mean Locker is still loved enough by the major media folks that makes me truly believe he is still a 1st round QB (see Tebow give or take).

I still think that a QB isn't out of the question to Carolina because it seems like right now-ish every year the "best player in the draft (the fairley/Bowers/Green nod right now" is mocked to the 1st overall very early by the big wigs and then the QB starts to slide over there for the consensus.
                        draftmaven.com

MY TWITTER

Comment

Originally posted by shoffma1999 View Post
                          In my mind there isn't a single first round caliber QB in this class. If I were a QB needy team I would wait until the 2nd - 4th round range form someone like Christian Ponder or Greg McElroy (who are both better then the supposed top rated guys, IMO).
                          CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

it's about ****ing time

Comment

One thing people have to keep in mind is that NFL Scouts haven't seen Gabbert until now. His rise up draft boards has been 100% due to draftniks, which of course doesn't amount to much considering 90% of them have no clue when it comes to real evaluations - scouts inc. included

NFL teams probably don't lift a finger to do anything draft related until their season's over, and even then it's a very slow process.

Give it a few weeks, the same thing will happen with Da'Quan Bowers.
                              Actually, Gabbert's high stock was a stunner to even the draftnik community. He literally came out of nowhere after Luck went back to Stanford. I still don't know where that hype train came from.

Originally posted by mycarman View Post
                              I still think that a QB isn't out of the question to Carolina because it seems like right now-ish every year the "best player in the draft (the fairley/Bowers/Green nod right now" is mocked to the 1st overall very early by the big wigs and then the QB starts to slide over there for the consensus.
                              I strongly doubt it. There is no Sam Bradford/Matt Stafford in this class. Nobody thinks any of these QBs are first overall material. I completely understand what you're saying, though.
                              Last edited by Blue; 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM.
                              Originally posted by jepg
                              I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
                              Originally posted by jepg
                              Blue is right

Comment

Originally posted by blue5213 View Post
                                Actually, Gabbert's high stock was a stunner to even the draftnik community. He literally came out of nowhere after Luck went back to Stanford. I still don't know where that hype train came from.
                                yeah, it LITERALLY came out of nowhere. from like 3rd round consideration to top 10

Comment

Working...
                                X