Blaine Gabbert's Draft Stock Slipping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blue5213 View Post
    I strongly doubt it. There is no Sam Bradford/Matt Stafford in this class. Nobody thinks any of these QBs are first overall material. I completely understand what you're saying, though.
    Definitely. I think that if the draft were held today (hell if it were only a month away) I would put all my money down that a QB wouldn't go 1st overall. But I do think that it is more likely than you give it (just a tad). A month ago a lot of people mocked AJ Green 1st overall. Now Nick Fairley is the 'consensus' but it is slowly falling more towards Da'Quan Bowers. If Green, Fariley, and then Bowers peak too early and Newton continues to rise I really wouldn't be shocked.

In general there is no consensus 1st overall material QB (or best QB for that matter) but given the relative power of the draft and the positions that are strong (OT is crazier than QB 1st overall this year for instance) there are only a few player that could go 1st overall and Fairley/Bowers are just as much 1-year wonders with flaws and concerns as Newton is.

I realize more and more that I feel bad for the first 20 picks this year (except maybe picks 3-6 that get top-10 talent at a top-10 price)
    draftmaven.com

MY TWITTER

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rodriguez View Post
      There are scouts that specifically watch college players. I think for the early rounds, teams have their boards generally set once the college season ends. The reason mocks change is because of the misinformation that teams and "draft experts" give.
      This is was I think happens. The agents do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by mycarman View Post
        Definitely. I think that if the draft were held today (hell if it were only a month away) I would put all my money down that a QB wouldn't go 1st overall. But I do think that it is more likely than you give it (just a tad). A month ago a lot of people mocked AJ Green 1st overall. Now Nick Fairley is the 'consensus' but it is slowly falling more towards Da'Quan Bowers. If Green, Fariley, and then Bowers peak too early and Newton continues to rise I really wouldn't be shocked.

In general there is no consensus 1st overall material QB (or best QB for that matter) but given the relative power of the draft and the positions that are strong (OT is crazier than QB 1st overall this year for instance) there are only a few player that could go 1st overall and Fairley/Bowers are just as much 1-year wonders with flaws and concerns as Newton is.

I realize more and more that I feel bad for the first 20 picks this year (except maybe picks 3-6 that get top-10 talent at a top-10 price)
        I think it comes down to whether the Panthers are okay with Fairley's character issues and his one year of elite play. If not, Green is pretty much a lock. I strongly doubt Bowers is a top five pick when all is said and done.
        Originally posted by jepg
        I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
        Originally posted by jepg
        Blue is right

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
          According to ESPN's Mel Kiper, Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert's draft stock has begun "slipping" heading into the Scouting Combine.

According to Kiper, Gabbert's fall has occurred after NFL teams did "more film work" on the underclassman's junior year. It's true that Gabbert did not dominate his competition in 2010, throwing for 16 touchdowns compared to nine picks and averaging an unimpressive 6.71 yards per attempt. Gabbert was much better as a sophomore. The Combine starts on February 24.

Did these NFL teams simply not watch college football until now?
          Well then too you have to think, I saw tape and he looked much better as a Junior. Not saying much because he sucked as a Sophomore but still. I think he could still go Top 10, I mean other than Cam Newton who can realistically beat him out.
          If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
          Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by blue5213 View Post
            I think it comes down to whether the Panthers are okay with Fairley's character issues and his one year of elite play. If not, Green is pretty much a lock. I strongly doubt Bowers is a top five pick when all is said and done.
            Still counting out Peterson... I'm not gonna say he's a lock or anything, but he has to be a consideration

Comment

Originally posted by cutty View Post
              Give it a few weeks, the same thing will happen with Da'Quan Bowers.
              lol fail

Comment

His 2010 film is really bad. I am surprised more people haven't wondered this. I am wondering why he doesn't have the same kind of stock as Locker. Both have big time upside (still less than Newton does), but also have obvious flaws.

Michael Floyd > Justin Blackmon

Comment

Your move McShay.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Brown View Post
                    Your move McShay.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if McShay denies Gabbert's existence entirely now. He's there simply to hate.
                    sigpic

Comment

He will go higher than he should thanks to a lot of teams needing quarterbacks and a less than great quarterback class at best

Comment

Wait, what are Fairleys character issues? I don't remember him getting arrested or anything.

Comment

Every year you hope some team shores up their offensive line in the first round instead of passing on David Carr Syndrome to a young qb. And every year I put my head in my hands and cry for the GMs who will lose jobs over it. I also am not a fan of Gabbert's simply because I haven't seen a whole lot of good tape on him. The game that really hangs with me is the Nebraska game two years ago when Suh ate him alive. I understand that Suh is Suh and there probably wasn't gonna be a way for Mizzou to neutralize him in the first place, but Gabbert has had way too many games where he's just looked really mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggety View Post
                            Wait, what are Fairleys character issues? I don't remember him getting arrested or anything.
                            He gets called for a bunch of personal fouls, so people are now worried about getting a dirty player

Comment

Smart people?

Comment

Originally posted by Diggety View Post
                                His work ethic is also questionable. Not sure by who, but I have heard it. Its similar to why Mallet has character concerns.

Comment

Working...
                                X