Locker at 12?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdb17 View Post
    Surely if you felt that Locker was a franchise QB (which I know you don't) then you take though at 12 right?
    This is what the QB draft positions usually comes down to. Buffalo had Matt Leinart and Vince Young listed as 2nd and 3rd round picks coming out, respectively, and that seemed to work out well for them. On the other hand, about 22 teams didn't have Aaron Rodgers as their BPA in a draft class that had one of the worst top 10s in recent history. It's not a total crapshoot, but a lot of it is "does this guy fit my system?" and whether a team is willing to overlook some concerns on the basis of "he's really good at everything else". Apparently, teams feel pretty good about Cam Newton's play on the field, so much so that they're ignoring his massive character red flags. The question with Locker is which teams feel comfortable with his inconsistency based on his incredible talents. If you think a guy is a franchise quarterback, you take him the first chance you get. Period.
    Originally posted by jepg
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    Originally posted by jepg
    Blue is right

Comment

Originally posted by Franchize View Post
      I hope 4 or 5 QB's go in the top 13.
      This, I want Robert Quinn to drop to Houston...

Comment

Originally posted by blue5213 View Post
        Locker is the only QB in this class who should go in the first round. He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers more than Favre. Sure, the accuracy's not elite and he doesn't have the numbers. When it comes right down to it though, he's got NFL talent and reeks of confidence and leadership on the field. As a Packers fan, I would hate to see him go to Minnesota.
        thnks blue

Surely with another BPA/Safe draft you'll likely be picking around the same spot next year too? You won't get a QB then next year either and you'll be in the Buffalo Bills scenario that was happened over the last 5-10 years.

If the Vikings feel Locker is a franchise QB you have to take him. If that is the evaluation they come to then they will either flourish or flounder because of that decision. Playing the 'wait and see' game at QB to me looks like a team without a plan or strategy. To me that is worse than making a brave (possibly stupid) decision because you haven't made a decision at all.

If the case is that the Vikings do not feel he is a franchise QB then I understanding playing 'wait and see'. They should not feel pressurized into taking a QB they do feel 100% confident in.
        precisely, its always been "wait for next yr" or "wait till so and so is a UFA"

we need to act
        2010 WF.com PPR Champion
        2011 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
        2014 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
        2013 VF Fantasy League Champion

CMD II Champion [co-owner with simonds]
        CMD III NFC North Champion [co-owner with simonds]
        CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

vikings need to act but act wisely, i like locker but with all the holes the vikes need to fill with an aging o-line, crappy secondary aside from winfield and griffin if he can stay healthy. if a prospect like amukamara is there he would have top trump most if not all other prospects at that point. anyways unless you think seattle is going to take locker he may still be around in the 2nd.
          Vikings Off- Season Wish List
          NFL Draft
          1a.) DT Sylvester Williams 1b.) WR Deandre Hopkins/ Keenan Allen 2.) MLB Manti Te'o
          3.) CB D.J Hayden 4a.) NT Brandon Williams 4b.) WR Chris Harper
          5.) S Sanders Commings 6.) P Brad Wing and 7ab
          Pick 1b and 7b acquired from Seahawks in Harvin trade
          Re-Signed
          Phil Loadholt, Jerome Felton, Erin Henderson, Simpson, Sanford
          Signed FAs
          Matt Cassel, Greg Jennings

Comment

Originally posted by zfootball13 View Post
            he may still be around in the 2nd.
            Locker is the one guy besides Newton that I can't see falling out of the top 25. There's too many QB-needy teams and a few are going to fall in love with him.

I could see scenarios that Gabbert or Mallett fall out of the 1st, especially Mallett

Comment

Originally posted by zfootball13 View Post
              vikings need to act but act wisely, i like locker but with all the holes the vikes need to fill with an aging o-line, crappy secondary aside from winfield and griffin if he can stay healthy. if a prospect like amukamara is there he would have top trump most if not all other prospects at that point. anyways unless you think seattle is going to take locker he may still be around in the 2nd.
              I say take a QB...no webb is not going to do for next yr, the problem is that Locker if picked at #12 will just be thrown in most likely as starter, lets he if he survives the Minny OL
              2010 WF.com PPR Champion

CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfan173 View Post
                I say take a QB...no webb is not going to do for next yr, the problem is that Locker if picked at #12 will just be thrown in most likely as starter, lets he if he survives the Minny OL
                well locker would do better than favre cause of his mobility, but the o-line is starting to fall apart, hutch is getting old and mckinnie just sucks. and im no lover of webb, but with all the holes on the team now, I say go BPA, but like everyone that gets paid to talk about the NFL says, you need a quarterback. if the vikes think locker is that franchise guy ( I don't think he is sure fire) you have to take him. the QB is the hardest position to draft cause you can find them all over the place.
                Vikings Off- Season Wish List
                NFL Draft
                1a.) DT Sylvester Williams 1b.) WR Deandre Hopkins/ Keenan Allen 2.) MLB Manti Te'o
                3.) CB D.J Hayden 4a.) NT Brandon Williams 4b.) WR Chris Harper
                5.) S Sanders Commings 6.) P Brad Wing and 7ab
                Pick 1b and 7b acquired from Seahawks in Harvin trade
                Re-Signed
                Phil Loadholt, Jerome Felton, Erin Henderson, Simpson, Sanford
                Signed FAs
                Matt Cassel, Greg Jennings

Comment

Don't see the Aaron Rogers or Brett Farve comparisons at all.

The best comparison for him is pre-eagle Vick.

When plays broke down last year he ran and ran hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Death In Taxes View Post
                    The best comparison for him is pre-eagle Vick.
                    You're saying the ****tiest possible comparison is the best? Michael Vick's success in the NFL is predicated on elite agility, explosiveness, and speed. . . none of which Locker has.

Michael Floyd > Justin Blackmon

Comment

If Locker goes at 12, it's a good move because the Vikings FO obviously feels he can be our franchise QB. If we pass on him at 12, it's a good move because the Vikings FO obviously feels he can't be our franchise QB.

See what a good fan I am.

Comment

I didn't miss the part when you said one year. That's why I referred to the Buffalo Bills problems getting a franchise quarterback. They haven't either gotten lucky with a mid-late round guy or been so bad they've gotten a top prospect at the position. Do you think the Vikings will be one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL next year? That is the most likely way they have a chance of getting a franchise QB.

Then again you clearly didn't read what I said properly at all then. Talk about being very hypocritical. Just because it is a bad year for Quarterbacks does not mean the Vikings don't think that Locker is a franchise QB. You don't think he is. There is a huge difference there.
                        Yeah well that's THEIR mistake if they think he is. They'd be fools to do it. I wasn't being hypocritical and I don't know where you got that from.

Joe Webb isn't much worse than Jake Locker. Jake makes some nice throws every now and then on film, but it's just not enough. He's too inconsistent to be worthy of going at 12. I don't care whether the team looks at him as franchise QB or not, they'd be wrong to think that he is because consistency is a franchise QB's best asset... and Locker has proven he doesn't have consistency.

Originally posted by vikingfan173 View Post
                        well the repercussions of ****ing up this year means we're going to be a very very bad situation. You think now is ****ty? I wonder how much AP will want to stay with the team if they are picking in the top 5 and he's 27. I'm sure he'll have complete faith in the team and not go looking for a job with another team. There is a lot more on the line here than just 1 season. Not to mention the stadium situations.
                        Last edited by vikingsteve26; 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonds View Post
                          If Locker goes at 12, it's a good move because the Vikings FO obviously feels he can be our franchise QB. If we pass on him at 12, it's a good move because the Vikings FO obviously feels he can't be our franchise QB.

See what a good fan I am.
                          lol
                          2010 WF.com PPR Champion

CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Originally posted by vikingsteve26 View Post
                            Yeah well that's THEIR mistake if they think he is. They'd be fools to do it. I wasn't being hypocritical and I don't know where you got that from.

Joe Webb isn't much worse than Jake Locker. Jake makes some nice throws every now and then on film, but it's just not enough. He's too inconsistent to be worthy of going at 12. I don't care whether the team looks at him as franchise QB or not, they'd be wrong to think that he is because consistency is a franchise QB's best asset... and Locker has proven he doesn't have consistency.

well the repercussions of ****ing up this year means we're going to be a very very bad situation. You think now is ****ty? I wonder how much AP will want to stay with the team if they are picking in the top 5 and he's 27. I'm sure he'll have complete faith in the team and not go looking for a job with another team. There is a lot more on the line here than just 1 season. Not to mention the stadium situations.
                            If you don't have a QB this year and don't even try to fix the situation why would AP think that anything is going to change? If you don't get a QB you're still going to be picking in the top 5. And Jake Locker is much much better than Joe Webb. I know you don't like Locker and I can respect that, but try not to look at it with jaded eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by HurricaneNation View Post
                              If you don't have a QB this year and don't even try to fix the situation why would AP think that anything is going to change? If you don't get a QB you're still going to be picking in the top 5. And Jake Locker is much much better than Joe Webb. I know you don't like Locker and I can respect that, but try not to look at it with jaded eyes.
                              Jaded eyes? If the guy was more consistent, I wouldn't have a problem with him. He is not much better than Webb, they are both athletes playing QB with poor accuracy and good leadership.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

There.
                              Last edited by vikingsteve26; 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingsteve26 View Post
                                Jaded eyes? If the guy was more consistent, I wouldn't have a problem with him. He is not much better than Webb, they are both athletes playing QB with poor accuracy and good leadership.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

There.
                                well its a ****in joke...how in the world is gabbart considered a top 5 pick and locker not...its just stupid, at least Locker has proven to play at a high level before, gabbart has shown nothin
                                2010 WF.com PPR Champion

CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X