Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple of notes after 25 Fantasy football mock drafts.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of notes after 25 Fantasy football mock drafts.

Players that are showing good value.

Frank Gore-
    People have seen this movie. Gore went in the 2nd round of every mock I was in except for two. One of those he went 12th overall and another he fell to the 3rd round. What you get with Gore is obvious, but with the RB class being not existent after round 4 or so. Point is Gore is tremendous value in the mid-2nd round.

Michael Turner-
    Turner is in a similar spot as Frank Gore. People are down on him, I'm guessing because of the amount of carries Turner has. Turner is a TD machine that will benefit from teams having defend both Julion Jones and Roddy White. Turner went in the 2nd round of every mock I was in.

Hakeem Nix-
    He is falling to the end of the 2nd round in most of the mocks I was in. He is a legit #1 WR that you can get in between picking up your two starting RBs.

Larry Fitzgerald-
    This is probably because of the Cardinals QB situation, but Larry Fitzgerald is falling to the 3rd round. He is AWESOME value there. Thought this could change if the Cards land Kolb.

Brandon Marshal-
    He is going to be there in the late 4th or early 5th. If he is jump all over him.

Ryan Mathews-
    He is falling to the end of the 4th round in some drafts. He is a good option if you go RB, WR, WR, RB.

DeAngelo Williams-
    He is falling behind guys like Knowshon. His average drafted spot in my mocks was 49. Though this is a moot point until we know where he goes in free agency.

Players showing terrible value.

Jamaal Charles-
    The dude is going 4th overall. I don't see how people are taking him over Ray Rice and MJD.

Peyton Hillis-
    He would be solid in the 4th round but the dude is going before Frank Gore and Michael Turner. Peyton Hillis is a monster but your not getting any value in the 2nd round. I'm not talking late 2nd either. The guy goes in the 13-18 range.

Knowshon Moreno-
    He is going in the third round with guys like Ahmad Bradshaw, Blount, and Johnathon Stewart. Guys like Ryan Mathews, DeAngelo Williams, and Jahvid Best are better players going in the 4th.

Matt Ryan-
    People are jumping on him way too early. By too early I'm saying 5th round. Wait and take Josh Freeman, Big Ben, or Eli
    Manning.

Jimmy Graham-
    Everybodys favorite sleeper is just that. So people are reaching for him in round 6. I'm not a fan of taking TEs that early, especially when he is a "breakout" player.

Guys who are all over the damn place.

Darren McFadden-
    The guy is going as high a mid 1st round to mid 3rd round. That kind of range that high is crazy. People just don't know how they feel about him.

Michael Vick-
    It's hard to say why(yeah right), but I've seen Vick go top 5 and as late round 3 if your in a room where people really hate him.

Random Notes

1. You HAVE to take two RBs within the first four rounds. If you don't you are screwed. If you're picking from 1-5 take a RB first. The depth in this fantasy season is shockingly slim. Make sure you get two solid starters by round 5 or your going to have Daniel Thomas, Mark Ingram, or Ryan Torain in your lineup.

2. The WR corps is pretty deep. You can get a solid WR2 in round 5.

3. If you pick 1-5 I recommend going RB, RB, WR, WR.
    If you pick 6-9 your in the weak spot. But you might have a shot at a top flight WR in round 2 like Andre Johnson or Roddy White. So I'd go RB, WR, RB, WR.
    If you pick at the end of the first round (10-12) you have two choices. You could go RB, RB and get a combo like Mendenhal and Gore. Though if it were me I'd go QB, RB, and then try to get a guy like Blount in the 3rd round. Then you could have a team that looks like Rodgers/Vick, Gore/Mendenhal/McFadden/Turner, and Blount/Stewart.
    Last edited by EllijayFalconsFan; 06-29-2011, 01:36 AM.

I've done a number of fantasy drafts and I agree with everything you've said. Good values, bad values, crapshoots. You HAVE to have two or three solid RBs in the first 5 rounds. I've been going with LeShoure later on cause I like him as my RB3. But I don't leave the 3rd round without 2 good RBs unless I get crazy value elsewhere. I've been going RB-RB-WR in the first three rounds on average. I can get a solid WR1 in the 3rd. Good assessment though.

Comment

I'm buying Knowshon Moreno. he showed some potential last year and with Fox as the head coach he is gonna get his carries.
      I AM THAT GUY

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLegend View Post
        I'm buying Knowshon Moreno. he showed some potential last year and with Fox as the head coach he is gonna get his carries.
        Even if you buy Knowhson Moreno you have to agree that in the 3rd round he just isn't good value.

Comment

Well it depends on what they drafted and whats left. The only name you mentioned that I would take higher is DeAngelo Williams.
          I AM THAT GUY

Comment

You do realize that Jeff Legwold has been reporting the Knowshon is heading for a role as a 3rd down back right?

Comment

Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
              You do realize that Jeff Legwold has been reporting the Knowshon is heading for a role as a 3rd down back right?
              How would he even know that? Considering there's been zero team workouts and the coaching staff really doesn't even know him yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JLash View Post
                How would he even know that? Considering there's been zero team workouts and the coaching staff really doesn't even know him yet.
                Maybe because Knowshon has been extremely unimpressive in his first 2 seasons as the starter? Also DeAngelo Williams reuniting with John Fox is just too easy to see happening.

Comment

Maybe because Knowshon has been extremely unimpressive in his first 2 seasons as the starter? Also DeAngelo Williams reuniting with John Fox is just too easy to see happening.
                  Except NOTHING has happened yet, so "well on his way" means pretty much nothing. And to edit, he didn't do terrible last year considering how little McDaniels used him.

Comment

Except NOTHING has happened yet, so "well on his way" means pretty much nothing.
                    Sounds like you need to call him out JLast. Shoot him an email.

Comment

Sounds like you need to call him out JLast. Shoot him an email.
                      I may have to.

Comment

I may have to.
                        So you got nothing about my other notes I've layed out?

Comment

Some notes I have gathered from 10 team mocks:

-People are overlooking Sam Bradford. You can wait until late to draft him and have a potential top 5 fantasy QB.
                          -Phillip Rivers has slipped to the fourth round in several mocks I have been in.
                          -Marcedes Lewis is going even later than Sam Bradford in every mock, so you can wait on your starting tight end unless Gates falls to you.
                          -People are drafting Pittsburgh's defense way too early, and IMO, if you don't get Pitt or Green Bay, you might as well make defense one of your last picks and play match-ups the entire season.
                          -You need to reach for Steve Johnson if you want him.
                          -If Steve Smith leaves the Giants, Mario Manningham can be a major steal this year.
                          -Arian Foster has been the universal 1st pick.
                          -Roddy White is going late first/early second round, which is way too high because Jones will snake some of his TD's this year.
                          -Everybody is unsure what to think of Brandon Lloyd this year.
                          -Word is starting to get out that Brandon Marshall has devoted himself to speed training.
                          -I think people are undervaluing Cedric Benson. The Bengals are going back to a run-heavy offense and Benson is the only one, as of right now, that can carry the load for the Bengals.

Comment

So you got nothing about my other notes I've layed out?
                            Aside from you struggling with name spellings, no.

Comment

As a person that has done about 10 mock drafts online, as well as some unorthodox live mock drafts with Walt and other long-time fantasy competitors:

I have to refute a few of these trends

1. Hakeem Nicks - While he does sometimes slip to the back of round 2, for the most part he goes early to mid-round 2. Highest drafted spot I have witnessed was 12th overall (a first round appearence that was a bit shocking).

2. Ryan Mathews - Last month you could probably get Mathews in the 4th round 2 out of 3 times. But, people are getting more excited about him, most likely because he is being called a strong breakout candidate by a ton of experts. In my past few mock drafts his stock has risen considerably and he goes in the mid 3rd round. Usually he gets taken about the same time as Ahmad Bradshaw.

Overall though I really enjoyed Eli's assessment. He was on the money everywhere else.

Love his point about Darren McFadden. He is a huge wildcard. Its almost a 50% chance he gets taken late 1st, very early 2nd, but when the people at the back end of the draft pass (11 & 12) it seems like he can fall so far. I have gotten McFadden as a major steal in the late 2nd round in a mock draft or two. It always makes me a little sad because I doubt it will happen on actual draft day.

Steve Johnson is an interesting player with a wide range. I know he was already brought up, but his draft range is fascinating. Can go Late round 3 through almost to round 6. I like Steve Johnson very much and usually select him. But in a recent draft I was eyeing him up with the 1st pick of round 4, but opted to take a player that had fallen to me and was too good to pass up. Only to see Steve make it back to me after 2 full rounds. In most drafts you likely have to reach for him to get him, but if you are drafting with less educated fantasy football players than you might be able to wait. Casual football fans tend to never know anything about the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Working...
                              X