Alastair's Injury Corner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
    Those are for fat-shredding, if you're looking for mass-adding I could send you a template for a mass-adding workout that I can personally attest works - gain about 3-4 lbs of muscle per month, which is pretty darn good for the average person.
    Hook me up with that bruh. I've been looking to gain some muscle mass :O

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

Those are for fat-shredding, if you're looking for mass-adding I could send you a template for a mass-adding workout that I can personally attest works - gain about 3-4 lbs of muscle per month, which is pretty darn good for the average person.
      Yes please. I'm 32, but have the metabolism of a 16 year old and the genetics of a distance runner. It takes me forever to add muscle mass and strength. I'm 6'0" and the biggest I've ever been was when I was in the military at 184 lbs. I'm about 173 now.

Comment

Could you send me that too? I naturally hover around 220 but a lot of that's just my frame. I'd really like to add some more muscle.

Comment

• I'm working on my Bizzaro League gameplan now. Check your PMs tomorrow or Monday at the latest. It'll be a template for a set-up and I'll include actual workouts beyond the template too.
          Originally posted by Daniel
          Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
          lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
            Yes please. I'm 32, but have the metabolism of a 16 year old and the genetics of a distance runner. It takes me forever to add muscle mass and strength. I'm 6'0" and the biggest I've ever been was when I was in the military at 184 lbs. I'm about 173 now.
            I know the feeling, but check this out, it's almost freakish.

In the last 5 weeks, I started a new job on nights and it's incredibly physical (part of why I haven't been on the forum much). Tons of stacking and lifting. Added to that I've been doing core workouts with medicine balls and weighted vests, and very minor lifting. I also started running distances again (I ran cross country in high school) all while going to school. I cut 2 inches off my waist and put 15 lbs on in just over a month, and I have tons of energy without pounding down energy drinks or caffeine. I'm at my largest size ever, being 6' and 185.

When I was asked how I did it by my Health & Nutrition teacher (easy A class for me) I just said it's basically diet and hard work. Good diet and tons of sweat get results.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
              What Rofl said is true. I would definitely recommend exercising. Weight is just a number, health doesn't care what the scale says. I've seen skinny people who never exercise and they started getting chronic back pain as they got older because they were so weak they couldn't hold themselves in good posture (this is waaaaay more common than I ever imagined before I got in this profession). At your size, I probably wouldn't recommend interval running despite its awesome cardio. Your joints are going to get beat up if you try to do impact exercise like running. Try stuff like the elliptical, nu-step, stair climber, or stationary bike. Weightlifting, as Rofl said, is awesome for shedding pounds. Muscle tissue uses more calories in rest than any other tissue. As you build muscle, you'll shed more calories just by sitting around and reading walterfootball. When working out, don't worry about one rep maxes, or what anyone else in the gym is lifting. What will work best for you is finding a weight for each exercise that allows you to have perfect form and not recruit any secondary muscles (I watch guys all the time throw their shoulder forward and arch their back when trying to curl dumbbells way to heavy for them). To find the weight that is right for you, pick something that makes it slightly too hard to do 15 reps with, but aim for 12 rep sets. If you hit muscle failure before 12, or your form starts to slip, the set is done. When 12 becomes something that isn't too difficult, increase weight.

Going back to what Rofl said, losing weight is a simple formula of consuming less calories than you burn. There's some loopholes like soda beverages not overriding hunger signals and stuff like that, but it really boils down to eat less than you burn. If you don't mind paying for it, the weight watchers system works really well. I like it because it allows you to eat whatever you want, but coaches you to eat healthier and have smaller portions. It assigns you a daily and weekly number of points (if you eat too much in a day, you use your weekly points) and gives every food imaginable a point rating. You won't shed weight super fast, but that's ok, it's not really healthy to shed 50 lbs in 3 weeks or any other thing you may see in commercials.

I guess last piece of advice I can give you is to hydrate a ton. With a lot of larger people, they are dehydrated from drinking caffeinated beverages and beer all day, without getting enough water in their system. The body reacts to this by storing water. Carry a bottle of water with you wherever you go and drink from it regularly. If you really want to get serious with this, I would recommend not drinking anything but water while you are trying to shed weight. Alcohol slows metabolism, and most of it is loaded with carbs along with that. Hope all this helps, and good for you for recognizing your family history early and getting on this now. There are tons of people out there who wait until things start failing to change things.
              I'm really not a water guy, I've been drinking vitamin water zero and arnold palmer zero (both 0 calorie drinks) do you have a particular opinion on those?
              I really don't consider myself too large. I'm in decent shape, good enough to play ball with the guys here at college. It is more so about future health. I also have a lot of room to fill out, I feel like 240-250 is about where I should be, after losing weight and adding muscle.
              so
              1. Avoid running.
              2. Lift weights, and do non-impact cardio
              3. Hydrate
              4. Watch carbs/calories....I think this is probably the hardest. being a broke college student, I really don't have many too options when it comes to what I eat. Generally that's whatever they're serving in the cafe....which is usually the option of pasta, cheeseburgers, or pizza. However I can always make a sandwhich or salad...

thanks for the input.

Comment

• Originally posted by T99W View Post
                I'm really not a water guy, I've been drinking vitamin water zero and arnold palmer zero (both 0 calorie drinks) do you have a particular opinion on those?
                I really don't consider myself too large. I'm in decent shape, good enough to play ball with the guys here at college. It is more so about future health. I also have a lot of room to fill out, I feel like 240-250 is about where I should be, after losing weight and adding muscle.
                so
                1. Avoid running.
                2. Lift weights, and do non-impact cardio
                3. Hydrate
                4. Watch carbs/calories....I think this is probably the hardest. being a broke college student, I really don't have many too options when it comes to what I eat. Generally that's whatever they're serving in the cafe....which is usually the option of pasta, cheeseburgers, or pizza. However I can always make a sandwhich or salad...

thanks for the input.
                Try to become a water guy. Those drinks are certainly better than most store bought products, but they still have a ton of things in them that aren't water. That means that instead of washing your system out with water, you're adding more things for you kidneys to filter out when you pee. From a pure weight gain standpoint, it's not too bad, but from a health standpoint, you can't beat the real thing. I can't stress enough how important this is. Those zero calorie drinks may not have calories themselves, but they mess with your metabolism and trick your system into processing other foods slower and less efficiently.

As far as the diet goes, I'm usually less concerned with carbs than calories. The biggest thing is portion size. Start reading nutrition facts on everything. Keep in mind that the way those labels are printed these days, there usually is 3 or 4 servings in what most people will consider a single serving package. If you want to really boost your metabolism, eating several tiny meals a day is better than three squares. Another good trick is to eat raw vegetables as snacks. Raw veggies are loaded with water weight, are filling, and have few calories. Baby carrots and snow peas are excellent for this. Try to avoid mass produced snacks, they're usually loaded with horrible ingredients and pack a ridiculous number of calories.

Comment

• Alright Alastair. Do you have any idea what Matt Stafford might have?
                  The Future. The Way. The Life. Stafford 2013.

Comment

• I must easily be the biggest person on this board lol
                    Last edited by henry3; 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM.
                    Originally posted by Zodiac
                    No disrespect to Kobe but Teague has the prettiest floater in the league
                    Teague has abused Westbrook tonight when he's been on him, Every shot is highly contsted and apWestbrook just simply cant keep up with Teague's quickness and speed
                    I see Davis as a much more polished Biyombo, so I dont see what the hoop-la is
                    Zodiac. He's as crazy as you think.White Power

Comment

• Originally posted by Fanisy View Post
                      Alright Alastair. Do you have any idea what Matt Stafford might have?
                      An inability to score fantasy points when I desperately need them. Only word I've seen is it's believed that he injured both his knee and ankle and will have an MRI. Stafford seem confident that he's going to be ok, but any time an MRI is indicated, it's probably a little bit more serious. When I hear results of the MRI I'll have a better idea. I haven't been able to get a good look at the injury yet. If I get a real clear view, I might be able to give a better guess.

Comment

• Just saw some good news for Giants fans. 1st round pick Amukamara is back at practice. For some reason, I though he was on IR for the year, but I guess he might make his debut this weekend.

Comment

• Can you give more info on back injuries? Eben Britton has been struggling with one since training camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phatal View Post
                            Can you give more info on back injuries? Eben Britton has been struggling with one since training camp.
                            Back injuries are by far the most complex injuries that PTs have to treat (the only exception being fibromyalgia, but that's a whole other bag of worms). Outside of some larger muscles that control the shoulders that originate on the back, the actual muscles that the back uses are generally tiny and multiple in number. This is why it is relatively easy to "throw your back out" with a simple movement, that can be debilitating for a long time. In the case of Britton, it appears that he suffered from a herniated disc while doing explosive squats in the weight room. This is also known as a slipped disc and can happen anywhere along the spine, just like Peyton Manning's neck injury. The discs in the spine can be imagined as sort of like a candy. They have a firm/hard outer shell, and a mostly liquid interior. When they herniate, the shell either protrudes into the spinal cord, or ruptures completely and the liquid filling pours out into the spine. Both cause shooting nerve pains, weakness in the extremities below the injury, and general discomfort.

I have to run right now, but I'll be on later and provide more info with the treatments and recovery.

Comment

• So more on herniated discs. Although it doesn't specify, I'm going to assume that this injury is in the most common area to get a herniated disc, the lumbar spine (lower back, under the ribs). Generally, surgery is not indicated to start with unless it is a severe herniation. Usually, these occur while the spine is in flexion (bent over forwards) and does a sudden move into extension, or picks up something heavy while in flexion. This is why most people who get this are doing improper lifting (everyone's heard that you're supposed to lift with your knees, not your back). The discs are a cushion, or pad, between the bodies of the vertebrae. The bodies of the vertebrae are located to the front of the spinal cord. As you can see in this picture (looking from the front/right, also illustrating what a HNP (herniated nucleus pulposa) looks like:

Generally, when the injury occurs, there's a sudden pressure on the disc and it ruptures, sort of like popping a pimple. There are different grades depending on the degree of rupture, with the slightest being the outer, firmer, portion of the disc simply bulging, to the extreme: when the liquid inside bursts out completely. If surgery is not indicated, we usually give the patient light exercises that put the back into extension (like a seal stretch) in the hopes that we'll essentially be stopping any excess fluid from escaping, and the rupture will heal itself, just like a cut, or a popped zit. If the patient doesn't progress from this treatment, or if the rupture is severe enough, surgery might be indicated. There are a ton of different surgeries that can be done. Anything from a discectomy (removal of the disc) with fusion of the neighboring vertebrae (again, what Peyton Manning had), to a chemical injection that dissolves the liquid on the outside of the disc, to even a artificial disc that is fused to the neighboring vertebrae. Recovery times vary wildly with this surgery, but I would guess Britton's will be on the lowest end. A lot of people with back problems are generally deconditioned, so my gut call is the averages are skewed to long recoveries. Even if it is fairly quick, I would think that he'd be looking at at least two months from the time of surgery, likely three before he was fit to play again. As this happened in August, I think you should see him return in the next few weeks. It's a positive sign that they didn't put him on IR, so I would guess he's making a good recovery.

Comment

• Hi Alastair

The injury im going to point out here isnt from a football player, but from a soccer player

My cousin is a professional Goalkeeper (play in smaller teams here in Brazil), and he just tore his Achilles Tendom in the last game. Im really worried, as it seems to be a very nasty injury. The doctors said he will be sidelined for about 6 months. I would like some info on that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X