Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The More I Think About It, The More I Think I Love John Lynch As A GM.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The More I Think About It, The More I Think I Love John Lynch As A GM.

    Yeah, I saw Walt's Jed York awful grade. But here's the thing. John Elway had literally no front office experience whatsoever before he took over as the Broncos GM. And that's turned out quite well. Millen was an abomination and he worked in the broadcast booth just like Lynch has. And neither one of those hires has any relevance to Lynch being hired.

    To try and legitimately compare either of these situations to John Lynch being hired is at best lazy journalism. And yes Walt, that is pointed towards your comment about how the last time this happened it was Millen. But come on. Not only did Millen move to a front office over 15 years ago(very different game)... but you've spent the last year+ talking about how you learned from your betting mistakes when it came to following trends...and yet you reference this hiring grade off a one time 'trend'? There's absolutely no way to have any clue. You have a borderline/probable HOF-level safety who has remained very connected with the NFL since he retired. At least the guy will know what kind of player he wants. And hell, I personally would love to see a video of Jed York trying to tell John Lynch no.

    Yes, York could have stayed with the media-choice safe hires from the Seahawks, Pats, Pack, Chiefs, or whatever other team the media decides has a respectable front office. You know...the guys that have no real name power. If you work in media, who gets more attention... John Lynch, the guy who laid out every player in the league while he played(Including the best RB ever in Barry Sanders)? Or Neckbeard McSeahawk that even reporters will barely pay attention to or know the name of? So you have to give York credit for taking a guy that is very clearly going to have the mindset and the balls to speak his mind and build a team in his image. Because if he doesn't, the backlash will be way worse than it even was with Harbaugh. This time York won't have a GM to deflect off of.

    And if the rumors are true and Lynch was the choice for over two weeks, then you know that Kyle Shanahan knew Lynch was the choice. Which makes that hire look even better because at least Shanahan knew who his GM would be. So they were quite likely on board with working together. And as a long time football fan, when I look at the toughness of Lynch and the smarts of Shanahan, that seems like a pretty solid combination. So if we assume that, based on media reports, both knew they would be hired by the 49ers a couple weeks ago...you have a HOF-level defensive player who has stayed very involved in the NFL world working with a highly respected offensive coordinator and both being hired on 6 year deals. As much as I think York has been a retard in the past...if he planned this, I think he did a pretty good job.

    But here's the fun part...no matter if Lynch succeeds or fails, it will have literally nothing to do with him going into the broadcasting booth after retirement.


  • #2
    It looks like a solid combination on paper, But John Lynch has zero experience working as a front office person and that in itself it pretty awful considering many GMs who have worked in the front office for decades can't get it right. I'm assuming Kyle Shanahan will have the final say on everything but that still doesn't explain why the 49ers didn't ease Lynch into the role, make him the assistant GM for 2 years so he can learn the process and not learn it on the fly. Plus committing to him for 6 years, while that does show commitment from York given that roster will take at least 3 seasons to get into 7-9ish shape, it's an overly commitment contract wise, there's a reason most coaches get 3-5 year contracts, a lot can change in 3 years, and if you signed them for 6 and fire them after 3.....Yeah. It's not the best hire but John Lynch is a solid football guy who will be able to relate to players and has a solid connection with Shanahan who will handle the bulk of the decisions.

    IMO it would've made sense to Bring in Mike Shanahan to be the GM until John Lynch was ready, Mike will probably take an advisory role regardless but still Lynch should've been groomed.

    Walt was too harsh on giving it a York grade, it seems like a really bad hire but Kyle Shanahan and him come as a duo and I think Shanahan will be a solid HC so that should even it out to a C+ or C-.

    But there's the option, John Lynch is York's "enforcer/yes man" who will do whatever he says, which if it ends up like it has with the past 3 coaches... won't end well. York will probably screw them both over anyway so it's a mute point I guess.

    Annoyer of Everyone, and I'm not sorry about it.

    Owner of the Portland Horned Owls.

    Lord Of the Mentally Retarded

    Long May MD4L homer Florida players

    May Rags always be drunk.

    Defense wins championships, Murderers win at everything.

    Comment


    • #3
      Either you're practicing for a debate class, or your brain has frostbite. Or you just think this could be good fun for those of us who aren't 49er fans, in which case fair play.
      Flinchy McTapQwik

      Lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Castiron View Post
        Either you're practicing for a debate class, or your brain has frostbite. Or you just think this could be good fun for those of us who aren't 49er fans, in which case fair play.
        I felt like arguing that other side.

        And we know it'll be hilarious.

        Comment


        • #5
          Lynch is an obvious "no one else wanted to work for me" hire. That doesn't mean he can't do a good job, but it's painfully obvious he's working for Shanahan, not the other way around. Jed York hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt on this kind of stuff, either.
          Originally posted by jepg
          I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

          I should be put on an island and nuked.
          Originally posted by jepg
          Blue is right

          Comment


          • #6
            Millen didn't just work in the broadcast booth. He worked in the broadcast booth for Fox, just like Lynch. Lynch was only one year away from having the same amount of time between retiring and being a GM. They're within months of being the same age when they became GMs. Both also played defense, are 6'2", and were on SB winners as players. Heck, they even both have 4 children and 7 of those 8 children have the same first initial as their last.

            Obviously none of that has anything to do with anything, but if Lynch grows a mustache and is caught with kielbasas then SF might be in trouble.
            http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

            Comment


            • #7
              Elway had a ton of business experience and some with running an arena team, so I wouldn't say he was totally inexperienced to run a franchise. Although, rumors are that Lynch will hire a more experienced number two to help guide him along, so that's encouraging at least.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Already being reported that Mark Dominik will be Lynch's top assistant.
                Originally posted by jepg
                I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

                I should be put on an island and nuked.
                Originally posted by jepg
                Blue is right

                Comment


                • #9
                  Undeniably a huge risk, since they're putting a zero experience guy in charge of the roster, but it's not Mike Lombardi bad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think putting someone with no experience in is almost always a bad idea. Even if it works out (like Elway), it doesn't mean it was necessarily a good idea.

                    I mean, if you're firing a gun into a crowd and you just happen to kill the mecha-zombie-Hitler that just came out of the sewers, it doesn't mean firing a gun into a crowd was a good idea. Just because it works doesn't mean it was a good call.

                    And I don't think good players make good coaches or administrative guys. The opposite usually seems to be true.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                      I think putting someone with no experience in is almost always a bad idea. Even if it works out (like Elway), it doesn't mean it was necessarily a good idea.

                      I mean, if you're firing a gun into a crowd and you just happen to kill the mecha-zombie-Hitler that just came out of the sewers, it doesn't mean firing a gun into a crowd was a good idea. Just because it works doesn't mean it was a good call.

                      And I don't think good players make good coaches or administrative guys. The opposite usually seems to be true.
                      I agree completely, but I think the difference between Elway and others is that Elway was a QB. The more "in charge" a person was as a player, the more likely they will know how to be in charge as a coach or GM. I think this logic works better with coaches than FO guys and will vary by player, regardless of position. For example, I'd much rather take a shot on Lynch than Michael "QB Dog Killer" Vick, even though Vick was a QB. On the other hand, Peyton Manning seems like the kind of guy who can run things. <insert Peyton's teams can't run the football joke here>

                      It's like how good MLB coaches seem to have usually been catchers and most of them sucked and got by through work ethic and knowledge. Then again, catchers work with pitchers, hitters, and their own fielders. Picking up opposing hitter tendencies while trying to fix issues and help their own staff. It's borderline training for scouting and coaching, especially the mediocre ones in the minors trying to help developing players all the time.
                      http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Jim Trotter ‏@JimTrotter_NFL 42m42 minutes ago

                        I misspoke earlier. Lynch will have final say over the draft, free agency and 90-man roster. Shanahan will have final say on 53-man roster.
                        ----
                        ~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
                          Yeah, I saw Walt's Jed York awful grade. But here's the thing. John Elway had literally no front office experience whatsoever before he took over as the Broncos GM. And that's turned out quite well. Millen was an abomination and he worked in the broadcast booth just like Lynch has. And neither one of those hires has any relevance to Lynch being hired.

                          To try and legitimately compare either of these situations to John Lynch being hired is at best lazy journalism. And yes Walt, that is pointed towards your comment about how the last time this happened it was Millen. But come on. Not only did Millen move to a front office over 15 years ago(very different game)... but you've spent the last year+ talking about how you learned from your betting mistakes when it came to following trends...and yet you reference this hiring grade off a one time 'trend'? There's absolutely no way to have any clue. You have a borderline/probable HOF-level safety who has remained very connected with the NFL since he retired. At least the guy will know what kind of player he wants. And hell, I personally would love to see a video of Jed York trying to tell John Lynch no.

                          Yes, York could have stayed with the media-choice safe hires from the Seahawks, Pats, Pack, Chiefs, or whatever other team the media decides has a respectable front office. You know...the guys that have no real name power. If you work in media, who gets more attention... John Lynch, the guy who laid out every player in the league while he played(Including the best RB ever in Barry Sanders)? Or Neckbeard McSeahawk that even reporters will barely pay attention to or know the name of? So you have to give York credit for taking a guy that is very clearly going to have the mindset and the balls to speak his mind and build a team in his image. Because if he doesn't, the backlash will be way worse than it even was with Harbaugh. This time York won't have a GM to deflect off of.

                          And if the rumors are true and Lynch was the choice for over two weeks, then you know that Kyle Shanahan knew Lynch was the choice. Which makes that hire look even better because at least Shanahan knew who his GM would be. So they were quite likely on board with working together. And as a long time football fan, when I look at the toughness of Lynch and the smarts of Shanahan, that seems like a pretty solid combination. So if we assume that, based on media reports, both knew they would be hired by the 49ers a couple weeks ago...you have a HOF-level defensive player who has stayed very involved in the NFL world working with a highly respected offensive coordinator and both being hired on 6 year deals. As much as I think York has been a retard in the past...if he planned this, I think he did a pretty good job.

                          But here's the fun part...no matter if Lynch succeeds or fails, it will have literally nothing to do with him going into the broadcasting booth after retirement.
                          This is a bad take. Elway had experience with owning and running an AFL team. Lynch is out here saying dumb **** on TV like how Alex Smith is good and how Cam Newton isn't

                          Also bold is the same logic that got Trump elected lol

                          It's unleash the dragon time yall

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is 2017. People with no experience being unexpectedly tasked with managing major organizations is the norm nowadays.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kirmie View Post
                              Millen didn't just work in the broadcast booth. He worked in the broadcast booth for Fox, just like Lynch. Lynch was only one year away from having the same amount of time between retiring and being a GM. They're within months of being the same age when they became GMs. Both also played defense, are 6'2", and were on SB winners as players. Heck, they even both have 4 children and 7 of those 8 children have the same first initial as their last.

                              Obviously none of that has anything to do with anything, but if Lynch grows a mustache and is caught with kielbasas then SF might be in trouble.
                              John Lynch's first four 1st round picks will all be wide receivers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X