This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

I'm not saying that they're gonna make the playoffs. They only need to improve by two or three games to potentially be out of the running for the first two spots.

Everyone knows they're still going to suck.
    I mean, yeah, but where are you finding four wins on that schedule? Chargers and Bears at the end of the season look like potential wins, but even those are on the road.
    Originally posted by jepg
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    Blue is right

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue View Post

I mean, yeah, but where are you finding four wins on that schedule? Chargers and Bears at the end of the season look like potential wins, but even those are on the road.
      Two winnable games against the Bengals
      One against the Jets
      One against the Jags
      At Chargers
      At Bears
      Then add in the potential surprise win, or the surprising crappy team, and you have seven winnable games. Will they win all of them? Of course not. But with Tretter and Zeitler, they'll have a more solid OL. With Garrett and potentially Brantley, they've added talent to the DL, with Peppers, you have a good all over piece to help the defense, and Njoku is a potential mismatch weapon.
      Throw in Kessler for a whole season (which seems like the slightest of upgrades) and maybe some late games with Kizer at QB and you have enough to throw their chances at Darnold and Rosen/Allen/whoever.

That said, a changing stable of QBs would certainly help their cause to lose most of those winnable games and keep them in the running.

Comment

• Originally posted by kirmie View Post
        Cromartie's semen:1
        Vasectomy Doctor: 0

#14 on the way.
        Game of Thrones would find another explanation. No matter what, just incredible. Give it up for Cro!
        ~

Comment

• I don't know why anyone believes Tretter is going to be on the field, let alone an upgrade. You guys realize he's started just 10 games, right?

Thing is, even though they've added talent, they did that last year too. It got them one win. You named all those "winnable" games, but Cleveland will almost certainly have the worse quarterback in all but one (Jets) by a pretty wide margin. They let their top two pass catchers from last season go; their leading returning receiver is RB Duke Johnson. I don't see how Kessler is an upgrade on anything since he had the most starts and pass attempts of any Cleveland QB last year; he's never won an NFL game (0-8 as a starter) and averaged just 15.8 PPG. Not that he was healthy for all of them, but I don't see that changing ever.

For as bad as Cincy was last year, they still beat Cleveland twice by two touchdowns each time. Cincy was actually the team the Browns came the least close to beating in their division, and I find it really tough to believe the Browns can sweep them. I would sooner believe they beat a resting Pittsburgh in the season finale.

I don't think any of those games are unrealistic wins, but you are counting on a 1-win team to win over half those games because of...a bunch of rookies and a guard. Fact is that most of these rookies won't be as good as the guys they're replacing right off the bat, if they even win starting jobs. Not bagging on Cleveland here, it's just really optimistic to think rookies are going to make a meaningful impact on a team's W-L record. The only one of them who really has that kind of impact potential is Kizer, and that's solely because of the position he plays. Which finally leads to my point: if Cleveland wins enough games to be out of the QB sweepstakes, then it's because they found their QB, whether that's Kizer, Kessler, Hogan, Osweiler, or somebody else.

Blue is right

Comment

• Jets going 3-13 this year. Hopefully good enough for the top pick.
            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

• Well the Browns did start a ton of rookies last year, and it's patently true that no rookie ever improves in his sophomore year.

I'm guessing the Browns win 4-5.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post
                Well the Browns did start a ton of rookies last year, and it's patently true that no rookie ever improves in his sophomore year.

I'm guessing the Browns win 4-5.
                While that's fair, how many of those rookies are going to improve to the point where it matters in the W-L column? Corey Coleman getting another year and staying healthy would obviously be yuge. Spencer Drango had the third-most rookie starts for the Browns; is he even going to be in the lineup if John Greco is healthy? Did Ogbah show enough to think he's gonna be an impact defender?

I dunno. I don't think any of those guys makes enough of a leap, or that the rookies are good enough, for Cleveland to win more than 3 games without significantly improved quarterback play.

Blue is right

Comment

• I say Cleveland scraps it's way to 4-5 wins. They have the Jets and Jags on the schedule, the Vikings are vulnerable, I could see them stealing an AFCN win or two, and they have the Bears late, who may have shut it down by then. Or someone could overlook them late in the year. Their offense will probably blow unless Kizer explodes, but I could see an improvement defensively. They still suck overall, but no one is expecting that sunken ship to be raised anytime soon.
                  sigpic

Comment

• If I'm guessing the records, I'd say Cleveland goes 4-12. Winning one game was flukey even for the Browns.

And Blue, you do realize that my original statement is that with the talent they added, the Browns might play their way out of getting Darnold, and may even play themselves out of second overall.

That's the statement you're arguing against. Just to give you some clarity on how Blue you're being right now.

Comment

While that's fair, how many of those rookies are going to improve to the point where it matters in the W-L column? Corey Coleman getting another year and staying healthy would obviously be yuge. Spencer Drango had the third-most rookie starts for the Browns; is he even going to be in the lineup if John Greco is healthy? Did Ogbah show enough to think he's gonna be an impact defender?

I dunno. I don't think any of those guys makes enough of a leap, or that the rookies are good enough, for Cleveland to win more than 3 games without significantly improved quarterback play.
                      Ogbah's pressures really took off after we swapped from our base 3-4 to a base 4-3. He was much better with his hand in the dirt. Putting a threat like Garrett on the other side could really open up opportunities for him, especially if he shows any improvement.

Shon Coleman will probably be our starting RT, and he looked pretty alright at the RT spot. Getting rid of Cam Erving and Alvin Bailey as our interior OL should instantly eliminate the majority of the completely whiffed blocks from our OL.

Corey Coleman getting healthy could be huge, yeah. Maybe one of our other WR sophomores like Ricardo Louis or Hollywood Higgens will step up and actually want to have a second contract.

The biggest issue will remain the secondary. Haden finally had his groin surgically repaired 2 years too late, so it's a question mark how effective he will be. Jamar Taylor looked like he figured it out, so CB 2 isn't a huge worry. Briean Boddy-Calhoun has proven to be a really solid slot corner. Free safety is a complete questionmark, and the one spot I really wanted addressed, and it's unknown what Williams will get out of Peppers in terms of coverage at SS.

The biggest benefit we could have is if Kessler can get faster with his decision making. Despite the hilariously bad occasional complete OL whiffs, Kessler usually had a decent amount of time to pass, but his problem was actually making the passes on time and getting rid of it. He held onto the ball longer than most QBs. His arm isn't as bad as what most people think, his accuracy is really good, but his processing speed left much to be desired.
                      Last edited by Johnnyallstar; 05-15-2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                        If I'm guessing the records, I'd say Cleveland goes 4-12. Winning one game was flukey even for the Browns.

And Blue, you do realize that my original statement is that with the talent they added, the Browns might play their way out of getting Darnold, and may even play themselves out of second overall.

That's the statement you're arguing against. Just to give you some clarity on how Blue you're being right now.
                        I do. The way I look at schedules is to try to find the games a team should and shouldn't win, then assume they win half the remaining "winnable" games. So if you're saying Cleveland has no games they should win and seven "winnable" games...well, 3-4 wins places them solidly in the top five range. And don't forget they have an extra 1st and two extra 2nds to move up with if they really want to. And that's assuming Darnold plays like a first overall type talent, which I don't think he is. I would be very surprised if Cleveland didn't have an opportunity to get him if they wanted to next year.

Blue is right

Comment

• Charlie put up a post about the college QBs today.

Scout Evaluates 2018 Quarterback Class; Down on Josh Rosen
                          ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
                            Charlie put up a post about the college QBs today.

Scout Evaluates 2018 Quarterback Class; Down on Josh Rosen
                            ~
                            So Rosen didn't have any teammates at his birthday party?

Comment

• Josh Allen sounds like he'd be a fun QB to root for.
                              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I do. The way I look at schedules is to try to find the games a team should and shouldn't win, then assume they win half the remaining "winnable" games. So if you're saying Cleveland has no games they should win and seven "winnable" games...well, 3-4 wins places them solidly in the top five range. And don't forget they have an extra 1st and two extra 2nds to move up with if they really want to. And that's assuming Darnold plays like a first overall type talent, which I don't think he is. I would be very surprised if Cleveland didn't have an opportunity to get him if they wanted to next year.
                                Fair. I expect Darnold to make big strides in his second year, and I think most others do too, since he's just a redshirt freshman. I'm generally assuming that between Browning, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, and the field, at least one franchise level QB emerges. Most classes have one, and this class has a ton of potential already. And when franchise QBs do come, they're hard to get (see what I said previously about the Titans and Mariota, or how much the Eagles/Rams gave up for ****ing Goff and Wentz).

I'm saying that the position that the Browns may be in is just good enough to miss on absolute stud QBs, so they're going to be facing the decision to either gamble with Kizer and take another great player who isn't a QB, or take QB2 or QB3 (whichever is the next best non-sure-thing) in 2018.

Comment

Working...
                                X