Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yeah the Brady debate is useless at this point. The dude has done it longer than most with a constantly changing supporting cast. And the only time he had a true #1 WR (not counting Gronk) was Moss for a little while. People get too whiny about it though.

    And BB is definitely on the mount Rushmore of coaches. Can I stop talking about them now?
    ​​​​​
    sigpic

    Comment


    • T.O. is apparently getting into the Hall. Makes sense. Jerkass or not, he had the stats and impact.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
        T.O. is apparently getting into the Hall. Makes sense. Jerkass or not, he had the stats and impact.
        And, you know, the fame.

        I always feel like that aspect is overlooked when we have these conversations- like, sports is supposed to be an entertainment industry. TO was consistently dominant and entertaining.
        CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

        Comment


        • Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

          And, you know, the fame.

          I always feel like that aspect is overlooked when we have these conversations- like, sports is supposed to be an entertainment industry. TO was consistently dominant and entertaining.
          Kinda tied that in with impact, but yeah. He and Moss were the face of that whole "diva WR" thing that made the NFL ***** about celebrations and where term "character issues" came from. Kinda era defining, in a a way.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

            And, you know, the fame.

            I always feel like that aspect is overlooked when we have these conversations- like, sports is supposed to be an entertainment industry. TO was consistently dominant and entertaining.
            I don't know where this notion of "sports is an entertainment industry" came from, but I suspect it was a combination of talking heads on an entertainment network(s) and Vince McMahon. Sports is supposed to be a legitimate athletic contest. That it is massively entertaining is what makes it a viable money making venture. The thing itself, however, is competition and not entertainment.
            Flinchy McTapQwik

            Lol

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Castiron View Post

              I don't know where this notion of "sports is an entertainment industry" came from, but I suspect it was a combination of talking heads on an entertainment network(s) and Vince McMahon. Sports is supposed to be a legitimate athletic contest. That it is massively entertaining is what makes it a viable money making venture. The thing itself, however, is competition and not entertainment.
              I see what youre saying, certainly the nature of sports has changed alongside society over thousands of years, but what exactly is the point of the Hall of Fame if not to engender discussion and intrigue? Other countries dont share the obsession with it that America does. If the point is just to honor the best of the best and then let them be at peace, why call it the Hall of *Fame*? The objective is in the title.
              CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

              Comment


              • Yeah sports and entertainment have become intertwined here in 'Murica, and have been for decades. Sports, especially football, have gotten to the point where it's become part of people's identities. Heck, football routinely still shatters the ratings of everything else, and we're even talking about it fading a bit. Most people are causal fans though. Let's be honest: with how corrupt sports organizations tend to be, people would leave in droves and look towards the smaller, amateur leagues (and college is definitely not amateur at this point) to get their fix if athletic feats and the integrity of the sport were all they cared about. They don't though, because the product and pageantry are entertaining, to the point of even enveloping the viewer. The feats are certainly a part of it, but sports, thanks to the media surrounding them, have developed a narrative. We talk about the rookies that are changing the game, the grizzled vet giving it one last shot, the QB looking for that ring to cement himself among the greats. And there are hundreds more. Even the Olympics, which are supposed to be as pure as sport can be, sees this. And we could delve into how sport has impacted business and medicine as well. It may have started off as simply a competition, but we've pushed it beyond that, to the point that it's a culture itself.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • I can get into the weeds on this too. See our worship of "the troops" "the cops" and "cowboys." We are a violent people who drop bombs all over the planet while convincing ourselves that we do it because we're the good guys.
                  ~

                  Comment


                  • So really, why was Butler benched last night? He's gotta be as good as gone from NE right?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
                      So really, why was Butler benched last night? He's gotta be as good as gone from NE right?
                      Team Patriot isn't talking. But some deep doodoo went off, for certain.
                      ~

                      Comment


                      • Nick Fairley's career looks to be over because of a heart condition.

                        In the biggest shocker ever the Lions hired Matt Patricia. Never saw that one coming.

                        As a kicker, @PrideOfDetroit and people that follow it have had a bit of an obsession with Toto's Africa and have officially turned it into a Lions thing. The Lions hired Patricia on the anniversary of the song becoming a #1 hit and @Lions welcomed him by spelling out Toto Africa with the first letter of their tweets.

                        Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
                        I can get into the weeds on this too. See our worship of "the troops" "the cops" and "cowboys." We are a violent people who drop bombs all over the planet while convincing ourselves that we do it because we're the good guys.
                        ~
                        The USA is weird like that. Take WWII for example. Nuke Japan twice? Become best friends for life! Fight on the same side as Russia? Cold war. Help fight off Japanese invasion of China? Almost immediate relations breakdown. It's like countries don't like the USA unless we've beaten them in a war. Well, other than Israel I guess. Obviously it's not quite that simple, but it's weird how that seems to be a pattern.
                        http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

                        Comment


                        • I though Fairley already retired because of that. It's a bummer for sure.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Wow. Josh McDaniels.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                              Wow. Josh McDaniels.
                              Lol. Suck it Irsay.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

                              Lol

                              Comment


                              • Poor Clots.
                                ~

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X