No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly the craziest news I've ever heard: Travis Swanson has a medical note for teams saying that he didn't have a concussion. It claims that he actually had a reaction to the medication used to treat concussions. That would be awesome if true, but why the hell would he take the medicine for concussions without having a concussion? Either he had one, even if only a small one, and was treated or they gave him drugs preemptively.

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    Just to keep rubbing the one time I was right about QBs in everyone's faces, I was a Newton believer from the start.
    I get the size comparison, but I don't think they're that similar as prospects. Newton had elite athleticism, stellar game tape, including the best comeback win in college football ever, and did his best work when everything was riding on him. Allen has none of that. And he had worse stats.

I see a taller, less athletic, less accomplished Jake Locker. He's my favorite to bust over Jackson because at least Jackson's legs will make him stick around for a while even if he doesn't make it as a full time starter.

Just from a numbers standpoint, I'm expecting at least two of Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, and Allen to bust.
    Bah! Newton was chucking the ball up into crowds in college and getting lucky in those comebacks. Then he went to an NFL team that had an above average running game with Steve Smith and Greg Olsen to drop balls off to. Most QBs don't get anywhere near that good of a situation when joining the NFL. The talent around him has been dropping and now that he is in what should be a QB's prime years he isn't any more productive than he was early on.

Though he still plays better than I thought he would. Much less Sexy Rexy than expected.
    http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

• I love Charlie's Barkley write-up:

Weaknesses (sic): Was contained in some games as a junior
      ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
        Haha yeah. That's kind of it. And that's because teams had to sell out to stop him. Even then, he'd do some crazy stuff on a KR or something. PSU is going to miss him. I kind of look for McSorley to take a step back next year without Barkley being priority numero uno for defenses.
        sigpic

Comment

• From what little I've seen, a worse McSorley is pretty frightening. Like, LSU quaterback bad.
          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
            LSU quaterback bad.
            Makes me wish for D.J. Chark that much more.
            ~

Comment

Ugh. I totally read that as "Charles Barkley's write up. Especially with "(sic)" in the quote after it. Barkley is the first guy that makes sense for the Barry Sanders comparison. I'd love to have him on the Lions since the Lions apparently can't win a playoff game with Barry.

Comment

• Barkley's a super stud, but I don't fault the Browns if they take a QB first. I agree with the consensus that the QBs are fairly equal as prospects, but we all know only one or maybe two will end up being actual stars at the position.
                If the Browns could know for sure that their guy was going to be there at 4, then obviously you don't let Barkley get away. But if the logic is "well, let's get Barkley and whatever QB is available is fine," then they should be firing all of their QB scouts, because they're pretty much betting that they'll get lucky and pick the one that won't bust after two other teams have a crack at it.

Although the smartest thing to do might be to take Barkley and give up a few seconds to move back up to 2. With all these high picks they'll be losing guys to free agency anyway. May as well get rid of some picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by kirmie View Post

Ugh. I totally read that as "Charles Barkley's write up. Especially with "(sic)" in the quote after it. Barkley is the first guy that makes sense for the Barry Sanders comparison. I'd love to have him on the Lions since the Lions apparently can't win a playoff game with Barry.
                  Reminds me a lot of Ladainian Tomlinson, only bigger.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                    ...because they're pretty much betting that they'll get lucky and pick the one that won't bust after two other teams have a crack at it.
                    It's a good bet if you're getting paid enough to make it (aka Barkley), and let's face it: All of these QBs have things to like (a lot), and also all of them have some warts.

Especially if they're inclined towards one of the non-Darnold or Josh Rosen choices. Roll the dice!
                    ~

Comment

From what little I've seen, a worse McSorley is pretty frightening. Like, LSU quaterback bad.
                      Yeah. His game is basically run around and throw deep. Which is fine on a loaded college team. Pro prospect he is not.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's a good bet if you're getting paid enough to make it (aka Barkley), and let's face it: All of these QBs have things to like (a lot), and also all of them have some warts.

Especially if they're inclined towards one of the non-Darnold or Josh Rosen choices. Roll the dice!
                        ~
                        I agree there. I'm just saying that in the end, they will not be equal players, and if you're the Browns FO, I would hope you think your scouts are able to parse out which one(s) will excel and which will bust. If you don't think they're capable of that, then why are they your scouts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

I agree there. I'm just saying that in the end, they will not be equal players, and if you're the Browns FO, I would hope you think your scouts are able to parse out which one(s) will excel and which will bust. If you don't think they're capable of that, then why are they your scouts?
                          At this point, the Browns should probably find the guys that don't suck and work their way up from there. Don't go for the home run, just get on base ffs. They've struck out way too many times.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Depends on how many QBs that they like. If there are only one or two guys that they feel are franchise worthy, then sure go get one 1st. There's a chance Barkley could be available at #4. If they like 3 of those guys though they can afford to take Barkley number one and pick their guy at 4. So far they have been linked to Darnold and Mayfield. Sounds like Hue still wants McCarron too so a rookie wouldn't have to start immediately.
                            sigpic

Comment

• "if you're the Browns FO, I would hope you think your scouts..."

See here, this is another reason to pick Barkley. Also: imagine all these QBs could bust, but a dynamic running back could make it so much easier for them not to?
                              ~

Comment

Reminds me a lot of Ladainian Tomlinson, only bigger.
                                LaDanian would have been the only other player like Barry. Forgot about him. Adrian Peterson was more straight forward like Emmitt Smith. Though I'd argue that Barry was slightly faster and cuts harder than all of them. I wouldn't be shocked if Barry ran a low 4.3 40 in a fantasy world where he was doing the combine this year due to the training and equipment for the event being better than Barry's show up at a field in sweats because a plane got you there late pro day.

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                                Browns FO... hope... think... Well, you don't here those words in the same sentence often. Also, yeah. If you don't trust your scouts then get different ones. Lions got rid of some old ones recently and I wouldn't be shocked if the Browns need to do the same.
                                Last edited by kirmie; 03-06-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X