No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a tough time making my mock draft contest entry. I've been wrong plenty before, but usually not so uncertain, lol.
    ~

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
      As far as legendary numbers go, I think it's a team by team basis. The aforementioned 20 for Detroit, 34 for Chicago, like a dozen different numbers for Pittsburgh, etc.

There aren't any numbers, like Gretzky's 99 that are just universally retired. The closest I think is probably Unitas' 19, which only a couple of WRs will touch. I think Joe Montana wore it with the Chiefs, too, kinda adding to its legacy.
      NFL is too big to retire a number league wide. Gretzky kind of saved the NHL. The best example of that where numbers should be universally retired in a sport would be Magic and Bird in the NBA.

Staubach, Bradshaw, and Stabler make a great case for 12. Allen, OJ and Jim effin Brown for 32.
      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
        I'm having a tough time making my mock draft contest entry. I've been wrong plenty before, but usually not so uncertain, lol.
        ~
        If you wanna go halfsies, I'll do the entry with you.
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

Billy Simms, Sanders, and another guy. Hard to beat for one team. I don't get the Ty Cobb reference (one of the greatest sports movies of all time).
          It's a programmer related joke based on the fact that Cobb was around before the players had numbers. There are 6 life sized statues of the Tigers players who had their numbers retired in left field of Comerica Park and it includes Cobb. There are some other retired numbers though. #11 Sparky Anderson who was a great coach for both the Tigers and Reds as well as #42 Jackie Robinson who wasn't a Tiger, but is retired for the entire MLB even though he was actually the 3rd or 4th (depending on if you count a light skinned guy who pretended to be white) black major league baseball player. Go 1884 Toledo Blue Stockings and the Walker brothers! Congratulations to those who read this paragraph. You now know something that the vast majority of MLB fans know nothing about. You could probably use it to win a bar bet or two for free beer.
          http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

If you wanna go halfsies, I'll do the entry with you.
            I just made one...took me forever. But also, you only get to put one mock in, so it makes more sense for two people to put in two separate entries, contest-wise.
            ~

Comment

• Yeah mocks take forever to make.

Also: this could be the Titans new jersey:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ0wbDqVQAArWIk?format=jpg Pic is too big, had to link to it.
              ​​​​​​
              sigpic

Comment

• Not exactly a huge change, is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                  Not exactly a huge change, is it?
                  No, just tweaked the numbers and made the shoulders white. Though we haven't seen the pants or helmet yet. The jersey is ok, but they should have made the side stripes white as well, or omitted them all together.
                  sigpic

Comment

No, just tweaked the numbers and made the shoulders white. Though we haven't seen the pants or helmet yet. The jersey is ok, but they should have made the side stripes white as well, or omitted them all together.
                    People here like the two tone blue. And yeah, I'm curious to see the rest of it. It'll be revealed tomorrow night, so not much of a wait now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

People here like the two tone blue. And yeah, I'm curious to see the rest of it. It'll be revealed tomorrow night, so not much of a wait now.
                      ​​​​​​Two tone blue is okay, but the different stripes throw me off a bit. There are rumors that there may be a helmet change. ​​​​
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah mocks take forever to make.
                        Is Justin Reid at 28 a decent pick for you guys, or just something boring that everyone is doing?
                        ~

Comment

Is Justin Reid at 28 a decent pick for you guys, or just something boring that everyone is doing?
                          ~
                          I think it's a good pick for them, as a new safety would either push Davis or be there to replace Burnett when he moves on. Plus, the Steelers have no real depth at the position; they released everyone from last year except Davis and JJ Wilcox, who is as good as gone if they draft someone high.
                          sigpic

Comment

I just made one...took me forever. But also, you only get to put one mock in, so it makes more sense for two people to put in two separate entries, contest-wise.
                            Les Snead loves to trade, I wrote. Crazy cat couldn't even wait until the draft.
                            ~

Comment

• Rams stop! You're too nuts!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Meanwhile the Pats are stockpiling picks. There aren't any Rutgers players that I can think of this year so what's their plan?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X