2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

I concur. Don't get the Miller hype, though I think it's more a correlation thing since tackles that were fast have done well in the pros recently.
    Well, he has some impressive flashes on tape, and he's got those traits that make scouts and coaches drool. I like the kid, but I'm a full-on fanboy for Williams. If he's the player we saw last year, kid will be a studmuffin.
    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• I have no idea how to scout lineman, beyond the obvious man-among-boys types that just embarrass anyone in front of him. I would place a lot of importance on technique though. I'm reminded of when the Steelers drafted Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum in the same draft. One of them was a football player, and it wasn't the bigger, more athletic guy. Athleticism is important to an extent, too: I wouldn't touch someone like Orlando Brown with a ten foot pole. But there is waaaay more technique in the trenches than most fans (including myself) know about, too much to want a super raw guy there either.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
        I have no idea how to scout lineman, beyond the obvious man-among-boys types that just embarrass anyone in front of him. I would place a lot of importance on technique though. I'm reminded of when the Steelers drafted Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum in the same draft. One of them was a football player, and it wasn't the bigger, more athletic guy. Athleticism is important to an extent, too: I wouldn't touch someone like Orlando Brown with a ten foot pole. But there is waaaay more technique in the trenches than most fans (including myself) know about, too much to want a super raw guy there either.
        It's kinda like greco roman wrestling tbh. Even if you don't understand the techniques, you will be able to see power, athleticism, balance, and attitude/nasty. Who is willing to embrace the suck? I don't believe you can get by with just one or two of those. More than maybe any other position, I feel O-linemen have to be football players, not athletes that play football. Start there and you'll know most of what you need to.
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Has it occurred to anybody else how funny having two uber divas like Rosen and OBJ on the same team in front of the NY media could be?
          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Woohoo! We've just acquired 45 year-old Andrew Luck!!

P.S. Walter doesn't like it. But...Kevin Hogan played H.S. football at Gonzaga in Washington D.C. You know WHO ELSE is a Gonzaga alumnus? Me.
            ~
            Last edited by ifthethunderdontgetya; 04-07-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
              Has it occurred to anybody else how funny having two uber divas like Rosen and OBJ on the same team in front of the NY media could be?
              Good thing I don't watch ESPN anymore.

I think Rosen could be great, but the spotlight of NY probably isn't the best place for him. He should probably avoid the state of Florida as well.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Good thing I don't watch ESPN anymore.

I think Rosen could be great, but the spotlight of NY probably isn't the best place for him. He should probably avoid the state of Florida as well.
                I think he's a spoiled, entitled little super rich **** and I hope he goes Ryan Leaf. While playing for the Brawnks or Bills. Or Jets. Really, just not the Browns or Giants.
                Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
                  Woohoo! We've just acquired 45 year-old Andrew Luck!!

P.S. Walter doesn't like it. But...Kevin Hogan played H.S. football at Gonzaga in Washington D.C. You know WHO ELSE is a Gonzaga alumnus? Me.
                  ~
                  Didn't know you were a Zag.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post
                    I was gonna post a mock draft in here but forgot Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds and only had 2 CBs (Ward and Alexander)

...Could possibly see 2/3 of Vea, Payne, and Hurst falling out based on the depth of the DT class...
                    Here's a nice post comparing Vea and Payne. And like you, suggesting they're likely being over-drafted relative to what they'll actually do in the NFL (John Sheeran does think they'll both have decent NFL careers, though).
                    ~

Comment

Here's a nice post comparing Vea and Payne. And like you, suggesting they're likely being over-drafted relative to what they'll actually do in the NFL (John Sheeran does think they'll both have decent NFL careers, though).
                      ~
                      Lemme guess, its a bunch of "but they dont rush the QB!!!11!", right?
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

Lemme guess, its a bunch of "but they dont rush the QB!!!11!", right?
                        Not just that, but that they didn't get the other things (tackles for loss) e.g. in college. Also, a good examination of what they do well. It's worth the read, trust me!

P.S. Don't misunderestimate "don't rush the QB!!" when it comes to the draft. Remember Andrew Billings?
                        ~
                        Last edited by ifthethunderdontgetya; 04-07-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

~
                          Yeah that was my thinking. There's just not that much recent precedent for DTs going early.

I remember two years ago having Vernon Butler, Jonathan Bullard, and Andrew Billings rated as Top 20 prospects- all very different players- and they ended up being a late 1st, a 3rd, and 4th rounder. Not gonna overestimate how teams value the position anymore- even though it would seem that interior disruption is more valuable than edge disruption these days.
                          CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

• Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

Yeah that was my thinking. There's just not that much recent precedent for DTs going early.

I remember two years ago having Vernon Butler, Jonathan Bullard, and Andrew Billings rated as Top 20 prospects- all very different players- and they ended up being a late 1st, a 3rd, and 4th rounder. Not gonna overestimate how teams value the position anymore- even though it would seem that interior disruption is more valuable than edge disruption these days.
                            Shortest distance etc...
                            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Not just that, but that they didn't get the other things (tackles for loss) e.g. in college. Also, a good examination of what they do well. It's worth the read, trust me!

P.S. Don't misunderestimate "don't rush the QB!!" when it comes to the draft. Remember Andrew Billings?
                              ~
                              Oh, I don't care about the draft positioning. Teams passing on Payne are just dumb if they do. Vea has bust potential the size of Andre Smith's man boobs though.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Didn't Billings have some knee/ankle issues as well? Or am I thinking of another NT? Even if a guy isn't putting up numbers, freeing up other players to do so is still invaluable, run or pass.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X