This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post
    Right now we have way too many needs to satisfactorily address in the draft.
    At least you still have your 3rd round pick. I guess there's no way we're gonna pry it away from you now.
    ~

Comment

I just can't see what those reasons would possibly be, apart from needing time to wear down Jerry to get him to okay the decision. Like I said they didn't even offer him a paycut, which means this wasn't a leverage play, or really about cap room at all- just about getting rid of him. Which, if the QB and coaching staff were through with him, then fine. But we'd be in a much better spot if we'd done it earlier and filled some more holes in FA. Right now we have way too many needs to satisfactorily address in the draft.
      Look, you're a fan and are hurt. I get that. But Dez has been straight garbage for 2+ years, has lost a step he didn't have to lose in the first place, has been mouthy about getting his money and respek, and who knows what else behind the scenes. It's easy to argue that he was no longer worth one red cent to the team so, yeah, its about money and getting rid of him imo. At the very leaast you can't dismiss it out of hand. Did they designate him as post June 1 or no?
      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

Look, you're a fan and are hurt. I get that. But Dez has been straight garbage for 2+ years, has lost a step he didn't have to lose in the first place, has been mouthy about getting his money and respek, and who knows what else behind the scenes. It's easy to argue that he was no longer worth one red cent to the team so, yeah, its about money and getting rid of him imo. At the very leaast you can't dismiss it out of hand. Did they designate him as post June 1 or no?
        No I mean I get all of that, this was easy to see coming given how he failed to step up in Tyron and Zeke's absences and basically just got worse and worse over the course of the year. I just don't understand the timing aspect. Nothing about how this was handled signaled a unified organization.

They straight cut him, no post-June 1. Some are taking that as a sign that we're gonna trade for Earl Thomas, but I'm dubious
        CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

No I mean I get all of that, this was easy to see coming given how he failed to step up in Tyron and Zeke's absences and basically just got worse and worse over the course of the year. I just don't understand the timing aspect. Nothing about how this was handled signaled a unified organization.

They straight cut him, no post-June 1. Some are taking that as a sign that we're gonna trade for Earl Thomas, but I'm dubious
          I would say that makes no sense, but with Jerry that doesn't mean much. No idea why the wait then, but I don't see anything to suggest a lack of unity. I think you're being alarmist in that regard. Could be a case of "fall in line or else" type message being sent to the other players. No clue. But after Dez beaked off about there being no way in hell he'd accept a pay cut I quit caring how this happened. The only thing I can say is this FO has a habit of sitting on their hands until faced with some sort of deadline. With the draft rapidly approaching as well as roster bonus dates and the like, perhaps that was the impetus. Me, I'da cut him immediately if I was gonna cut him.

A bigger problem imo, if it indeed turns out this way, is no heir apparent to Witten. This needs to be his last year, so drafting his replacement should be a priority. Getting rid of Sean Lee's crippled ass should be a priority. Finding a good 3-tech should be a priority. We'll see what they do. But if they go Ridley 1 and a LG or RT 2, I'll throw something. Probably just a nerf ball, but I'm still gonna huck that sum*****.
          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• What is it, two weeks now? Really can't wait! I'm just hoping this isn't a repeat of 2013 where most of the draft sucks.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
              What is it, two weeks now? Really can't wait! I'm just hoping this isn't a repeat of 2013 where most of the draft sucks.
              We have Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson left from that draft. Jordan Reed is so good when he's not hurt. Which is mostly. Chris Thompson is a pretty good 3rd round back (until he got hurt last year, like everybody else just about). It seems like a weak draft if you need offensive tackles or 1st round wide receivers, but makes up for that in some less sexy areas (defensive tackles, center/guards, safeties).
              ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post

We have Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson left from that draft. Jordan Reed is so good when he's not hurt. Which is mostly. Chris Thompson is a pretty good 3rd round back (until he got hurt last year, like everybody else just about). It seems like a weak draft if you need offensive tackles or 1st round wide receivers, but makes up for that in some less sexy areas (defensive tackles, center/guards, safeties).
                ~
                Steelers got Bell and Vince Williams. Jarvis Jones sucking still stings the team.
                sigpic

Comment

~

Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Steelers got Bell and Vince Williams. Jarvis Jones sucking still stings the team.
                  While the Titans spent the 10th overall pick on a bust right guard. But that's OK, in the later rounds they got....oh wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Don't forget Landry Jones, Superstar QB of the Future!

Seriously, that draft was abysmal. I'm not sure it's possible to predict that level of suck, because we so badly want these guys to be good that our minds just won't accept it.
                    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

~
                      Jordan Reed is really good, and a better blocker than people think. But health is kicking his butt.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Jordan Reed is really good, and a better blocker than people think. But health is kicking his butt.
                        Concussions, hamstrings...and stem cell treatment?!!

Here's hoping tho, cause that springs eternal. Until it doesn't.
                        ~

Comment

Concussions, hamstrings...and stem cell treatment?!!

Here's hoping tho, cause that springs eternal. Until it doesn't.
                          ~
                          The stem cell stuff is for his hammy, yeah?
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

The stem cell stuff is for his hammy, yeah?
                            No, he got it in his left toe in summer, 2017. But it didn't work out, so then his ankle got rolled via compensation, yada yada...
                            ~

Comment

No, he got it in his left toe in summer, 2017. But it didn't work out, so then his ankle got rolled via compensation, yada yada...
                              ~
                              It never ends with him, does it?
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Looks like LVE has some medical red flags.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X