No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts. The Chargers took Dylan Cantrell.
    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

Cool. He's my fave Steelers defensive player. There is no way he is only the 290 or so that they list him at.
      I think he's 3 bills now. Super nice guy.
      sigpic

Comment

• 197. Washington Redskins: Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB, Alabama A- Grade
        -----------------
        Just call us Tide North, I guess.

P.S.

John Keim‏Verified account @john_keim52m52 minutes ago

The Redskins are now favored to win the SEC
        ~
        Last edited by ifthethunderdontgetya; 04-28-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• I have no idea why Luke Faulk was the pick. Like, even among QBs. He's not remotely similar to Mariota. Why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
            I have no idea why Luke Faulk was the pick. Like, even among QBs. He's not remotely similar to Mariota. Why.
            I'm with you. Nothing against Faulk, but for years I've felt it was important for your #2 QB to have a similar style to your starter so you don't have to change the O too much if your #1 goes down.
            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Apparently the Steelers wanted Evans, and were trying to trade up, but Tennessee beat them to it. After the main 4 first round ILBs they really didn't like anyone else, so they went elsewhere. No idea what the defense will look like this year. They can't try the same **** they did last year and expect the same result. Why run an LB heavy scheme when you aren't strong at LB, but have a strong DL and a secondary that is hopefully coming together? But I haven't agreed with this some of this team's decision making.

Overall, their draft was underwhelming. Decent 3rd day, but they didn't really improve the roster much. Nothing immediate, anyways.
              sigpic

Comment

• I feel like we played too safe at 13, and could have done more. After all, not only were Derwin James and Tremaine Edmunds sitting there, so was Davenport, the guy the Packers got that nice haul for. But I can't cry about Da'Ron Payne, I've liked him all along.

Trading back to get Derrius Guice at 59 was sweet. I don't know anything about his beef with the Eagles, but we play them twice a year so he can take it to the field.

And that means Geron Christian at 74 was basically a free pick. I hope Callahan can develop him.

Then we get to Troy Apke at 109. This feels like an Undead Al pick: "Who's the fastest guy left on the board?" Or as I saw on twitter: "Did the Redskins watch any Penn St. games?" Anyways, who knows. The pick can't really hurt us, I guess.

163: Tim Settle? Really, this late? I know the NFL doesn't value two-down NTs, but this feels like another steal for us.

197: Shaun Dion Hamilton isn't someone I've even thought about. But he'll be at Crimson Tide north, so he'll fit in the locker room at least.

241: Greg Stroman. I forgot we still had two 7th round picks.

256: "Mr. Irrelevant" Trey Quinn. Maybe this guy can prove the title wrong and make the roster.

So overall, my initial reaction was "B", same as Walter and some others. But now the 2nd and 3rd round picks, plus Tim Settle, have me feeling more positive.

P.S. My major disappointment is we that we didn't get one of the interior O.L. studs. That deal was sealed because they all went before pick 44. So LG still remains a worry.
                ~

Last edited by ifthethunderdontgetya; 04-29-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
                  Apparently the Steelers wanted Evans, and were trying to trade up, but Tennessee beat them to it. After the main 4 first round ILBs they really didn't like anyone else, so they went elsewhere. No idea what the defense will look like this year. They can't try the same **** they did last year and expect the same result. Why run an LB heavy scheme when you aren't strong at LB, but have a strong DL and a secondary that is hopefully coming together? But I haven't agreed with this some of this team's decision making.

Overall, their draft was underwhelming. Decent 3rd day, but they didn't really improve the roster much. Nothing immediate, anyways.
                  This seems to be a trend lately where the Steelers pick some good football players on the 3rd day, but the rest of the draft is hot garbage. They need to just let that guy run the whole draft imo.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Titans Draft: There was a good bit to love and hate about this draft. What I loved was trading up to get two quality players at the biggest positions of need. What I didn't like was that the Titans didn't address the DE position, even though there's NOTHING behind the two starters, one of whom tore a bicep at the end of the season. That is a big problem that they just kind of ignored. I also don't like that they didn't make better use of super deep DB and DL classes. B+

1. Rashaan Evans, LB, Bama: So, I wasn't super happy about this pick for a couple of reasons. First, the draft at ILB was deep. I liked Evans, but there are players that I thought were about the same level of talent available much later. That said, it fixes the second biggest need of the team, and Bama interior linebackers have a better history of panning out in the NFL than players at most other positions. B-

2. Harold Landry, PR, Boston College: I loved this pick. In fact, this pick made me like the first pick even more, because if you'd swapped these draft positions, I'd be totally happy with it. Now, I don't think Landry is an elite edge rusher, but I do think he'll be able to get to the QB, and since he'll be behind Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan for a year at least means his impact can be maximized. A+

5. Dane Cruikshank, S, Arizona: I wasn't thrilled about this pick, as he's just a height/weight/speed guy. That said, it's the sixth round, and safety depth was needed, so why not just take a HWS? Still, there were better players available IMO. B+

6. Luke Faulk, QB, Washington St: I mean, in theory, the value is great here. I was never a big fan of Faulk, and he isn't a similar player to Mariota, so he doesn't fill a need (Titans signed Blaine Gabbert already) and he has no future on the team. I guess, if you think Faulk is better than this, maybe you can trade him for something more than a sixth later? I just don't get it, but it's a late sixth, so it's whatever. C-

UDFAs: Only four notables so far, but I really like them; there are two that should compete for roster spots, and a couple others that have a great shot at the practice squad. A-
                    Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa: I thought Wadley was overhyped like crazy pre-draft, but I'll take him as a free agent all day long. Has a decent chance to make roster as RB3.
                    Ethan Wolfe, TE, Tennessee: Homering a bit, but Wolfe has been a great tight end for Tennessee for years. Titans could use some depth there, and if he's back to 100% from his injury, he ought to make the practice squad.
                    Mike Ramsay, DT, Duke: Ramsay looks better than the fourth player at DE on the depth chart right now, which tells you more about the state of the depth at that position than the quality of this signing.
                    Damon Webb, S, Ohio St: I actually mocked him to the Titans in the fifth, so I'm glad I kind of got a pick right.

More UDFAs:
                    Nick DeLuca, LB, NDSU: Another guy that looks like he could make a practice squad.
                    Deontay Burnett, WR, USC: He's awfully small, but quick, so he might have a shot at the practice squad. Caught a lot of Darnold passes, at least.
                    Last edited by Daniel; 04-29-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

This seems to be a trend lately where the Steelers pick some good football players on the 3rd day, but the rest of the draft is hot garbage. They need to just let that guy run the whole draft imo.
                      Well, Watt and JuJu were last year, and Artie isn't horrible. 2015 was bad but 2014 was Decastro, I think? I could probably delve into this more, but I just saw infinity war and that's basically all that's in my head at the moment lol. Big issue is: it used to be that the Steelers were one of the only, sometimes the only 3-4 team around. Now everyone is playing in sub packages and looking for similar players. Pittsburgh doesn't get the pick of the litter when it comes to defenders anymore. They know their offensive players, but I question what they look for in QBs, outside of big dudes. And the occasional mobile guy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, Watt and JuJu were last year, and Artie isn't horrible. 2015 was bad but 2014 was Decastro, I think? I could probably delve into this more, but I just saw infinity war and that's basically all that's in my head at the moment lol. Big issue is: it used to be that the Steelers were one of the only, sometimes the only 3-4 team around. Now everyone is playing in sub packages and looking for similar players. Pittsburgh doesn't get the pick of the litter when it comes to defenders anymore. They know their offensive players, but I question what they look for in QBs, outside of big dudes. And the occasional mobile guy.
                        In the timeframe I'm referencing Watt and JuJu are anomalies. They draft like an NBA team now. Younger and more athletic is better than being able to play the game, which is completely backwards considering the nature of the NFL, the cba, and how soon rookie contracts run out. By the time these guys get it figured out, the team will maybe have one good year to go on when they try to decide if they want to extend their rookie deals. And that's a big maybe. Artie, for example, may turn into a really good CB, but not in the Steelers system. He was young, athletic, and inexperienced. He was a traits guy better suited to bump and run schemes. So, the exact opposite of what Pitt asks it's corners to do.
                        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• The Colts all of a sudden have a mauling interior O-line. Then, of course, they draft a scatback to run behind it. Oh Irsay, you wacky pillhead you.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

In the timeframe I'm referencing Watt and JuJu are anomalies. They draft like an NBA team now. Younger and more athletic is better than being able to play the game, which is completely backwards considering the nature of the NFL, the cba, and how soon rookie contracts run out. By the time these guys get it figured out, the team will maybe have one good year to go on when they try to decide if they want to extend their rookie deals. And that's a big maybe. Artie, for example, may turn into a really good CB, but not in the Steelers system. He was young, athletic, and inexperienced. He was a traits guy better suited to bump and run schemes. So, the exact opposite of what Pitt asks it's corners to do.
                            Ugh, they keep saying they want to do more man coverage but never do it, save for once or twice per year. I hope they run the defense with a little more sense this year, but unless they lose their boner over that 2-4-5 setup it's not gonna happen.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ugh, they keep saying they want to do more man coverage but never do it, save for once or twice per year. I hope they run the defense with a little more sense this year, but unless they lose their boner over that 2-4-5 setup it's not gonna happen.
                              My gripe exactly. They draft traits now. H/W/S, not football players so much. It's like they're becoming the latter years of the Al Davis Raiders. I am curious to see if they use Samuels correctly, or they completely screw it up. He's a lot of fun to watch and create mismatches for if you have the slightest clue what you're doing. My fear is they're gonna ask him to drop 10-15lbs and make him a dedicated RB instead of put on 10-15lbs and make him a Pro Bowl FB.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

My gripe exactly. They draft traits now. H/W/S, not football players so much. It's like they're becoming the latter years of the Al Davis Raiders. I am curious to see if they use Samuels correctly, or they completely screw it up. He's a lot of fun to watch and create mismatches for if you have the slightest clue what you're doing. My fear is they're gonna ask him to drop 10-15lbs and make him a dedicated RB instead of put on 10-15lbs and make him a Pro Bowl FB.
                                They won't have him bulk up. At 220 they really wouldn't need him to lose weight either. They already have a dedicated FB in Nix that doesn't seem to get used, though was used more than most. Being a top FB doesn't mean much nowadays anyways, seeing as how there are like 5 FBs in the league. Really, he could be used in a lot of ways and could compliment Conner really well. Maybe this was preparation for Bell's possible departure. Hopefully they use him. Haley could never figure out how to use a complementary back, maybe Fitchner will.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X