This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    6-10 seems like a reasonable expectation for Jacksonville; I expect them to be more middle of the pack this year than that, but I see it. That defense is tough, but Campbell won't be young forever, and they won't stay as injury free next season. They also probably won't have four easy games in the division anymore; at least one game vs the Colts and Texans will feature a healthy starting QB.

Plus, one injury to Leonard Fournette and they suddenly have no offense.
    I cam see teams selling out to stop Fournette and making Bortles throw, which is an ugly proposition for them. That nasty defense will keep them relevant though.
    sigpic

Comment

• I could see Jax falling off some, but not to 6-10 unless disaster strikes. I could also see DJ Chark having a big rookie season with everybody stacking the box to stop the run.
      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
        I could see Jax falling off some, but not to 6-10 unless disaster strikes. I could also see DJ Chark having a big rookie season with everybody stacking the box to stop the run.
        I'm thinking right at 8 wins for them, but I could see 6. Titans beat them both times last year, Texans will be better, as will the Colts.

I also think they had a decent draft, but not one that's likely to pay off much this season. And their big free agent add was a guard, who I don't think is going to make that much of an impact on the run or the pass.

It would take them being unlucky, but they aren't as good as their win total from last season suggests. There's a reason you rarely see a team improve or decline more than 4 games, and that's because teams just don't make jumps like that without luck playing a part.

Comment

I'm thinking right at 8 wins for them, but I could see 6. Titans beat them both times last year, Texans will be better, as will the Colts.

I also think they had a decent draft, but not one that's likely to pay off much this season. And their big free agent add was a guard, who I don't think is going to make that much of an impact on the run or the pass.

It would take them being unlucky, but they aren't as good as their win total from last season suggests. There's a reason you rarely see a team improve or decline more than 4 games, and that's because teams just don't make jumps like that without luck playing a part.
          You really don't think much of guards.
          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

You really don't think much of guards.
            Nope. Plus, in this case, I just don't see Norwell providing that big an impact to the Jaguars specifically. Fournette had a monster season with the blocking they already had. I don't see him adding 300 or 400 yards even with drastically improved play at one guard spot, especially if they show nothing in the pass game and opposing teams stack the box.

Second, I don't know if he helps the passing game that much either. Bortles, IIRC, has a tendency to hold the ball a long time anyway, so it's not like it's been quick sacks or having to get rid of the ball too soon that have been problems for him. So Bortles having more time from interior pass rushers on the left side/not having a collapsed pocket as often probably won't have a huge effect on his game.

That's why I don't value guards that much. Overall, your offensive line is only about as good as its weakest link, and improving one spot doesn't have as big an impact overall. As a unit, I think the Oline is the most important one on a team (not counting QB of course), but it's a group effort, not an individual effort.

Comment

Nope. Plus, in this case, I just don't see Norwell providing that big an impact to the Jaguars specifically. Fournette had a monster season with the blocking they already had. I don't see him adding 300 or 400 yards even with drastically improved play at one guard spot, especially if they show nothing in the pass game and opposing teams stack the box.

Second, I don't know if he helps the passing game that much either. Bortles, IIRC, has a tendency to hold the ball a long time anyway, so it's not like it's been quick sacks or having to get rid of the ball too soon that have been problems for him. So Bortles having more time from interior pass rushers on the left side/not having a collapsed pocket as often probably won't have a huge effect on his game.

That's why I don't value guards that much. Overall, your offensive line is only about as good as its weakest link, and improving one spot doesn't have as big an impact overall. As a unit, I think the Oline is the most important one on a team (not counting QB of course), but it's a group effort, not an individual effort.
              Coaching is a big part of that, too. That's why I'm such a big fan of Munchak. Interior linemen can do a lot for a QB but Bortles is still Bortles.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Coaching is a big part of that, too. That's why I'm such a big fan of Munchak. Interior linemen can do a lot for a QB but Bortles is still Bortles.
                Best position coach in the game. Terrible choice for head coach, but as good as it gets for OL.

Comment

Best position coach in the game. Terrible choice for head coach, but as good as it gets for OL.
                  He really is. Love me some Munchak.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• I think Walter is too down on the Jaguars. They've got a great D and a rock solid running game.

So all Bortles has to do is not fuk it up too much. And if he does, they can easily replace him with some other backup-level QB.
                    ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
                      I think Walter is too down on the Jaguars. They've got a great D and a rock solid running game.

So all Bortles has to do is not fuk it up too much. And if he does, they can easily replace him with some other backup-level QB.
                      ~
                      I agree that 6-10 is way too low, though of Bortles sucks I could easily see 8-8. Even decent backups can be difficult to find. If they are the unlucky team to be calling Brandon Weeden this year they are screwed.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
                        I think Walter is too down on the Jaguars. They've got a great D and a rock solid running game.

~
                        Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

I agree that 6-10 is way too low, though of Bortles sucks I could easily see 8-8. Even decent backups can be difficult to find. If they are the unlucky team to be calling Brandon Weeden this year they are screwed.
                        They did have a great defense, and Houston has shown in recent years how unstable that can be. A big part of that defense was Calais Campbell having a career season at like 42, which I doubt he repeats, and a very healthy set of starters, which is also unlikely to repeat. I agree that 8-8 is a likely figure, but 6-10 isn't that far from 8-8, and with just a few things going against the Jags, it could happen.

Given his predictions for the Titans and the Colts (7-9), I think he's expecting the teams to split wins and losses against each other, which seems likely. Titans won every AFCS game last season except one against Houston, and the Jags swept the Colts and Texans. I don't see either of those things happening this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if both won fewer games this season.

That said, if he predicts 10 wins for Houston, I'ma laugh my ass off.

Comment

• Poor Cleveland. Stipe loses his belt, Lebron leaves for LA, and Hue Jackson is still the Browns coach.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

That said, if he predicts 10 wins for Houston, I'ma laugh my ass off.
                            You may need a new ass.
                            sigpic

Comment

You may need a new ass.
                              Wow. 12-4? Walt went full retard over a rookie mobile QB that won three of the seven games he played in.

Are we the only sane people on the planet?

Comment

1. There are no sane people left on the planet.

2. If Brandon Weeden starts an NFL game this year I'm going to lmao until I have no a to l. off.

3. Also whoyouwantit should have to make this his profile pic again.

Brandon Weeden.jpg
                                ~

Comment

Working...
                                X