2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post

He's been a quality locker room guy for us, but totally miscast in the NT role (which to his credit, he just accepted and did his best...Chris Baker would have been better at it while he was here, but Baker didn't want to play nose). However, now he's a reserve end and time and younger players may have finally caught up with him.

P.S.Re: Safety and Troy Apke - This is a comment I made elsewhere.

1) I'm all for giving UDFAs just as much a chance to make the team based on their performance as 6th and 7th round picks.

2) Call me crazy, but I think Troy Apke should have been a 6th round pick, not a 4th. People who watch Penn State football were surprised to see Apke picked before Marcus Allen, who went in the 5th round to the Steelers.
    ==========
    I don't actually see much, if any, Penn State football. I got that from you guys. The context is Apke is fast, but as far as learning to play football, he's got a LONG ways to go. Meanwhile, we have a UDFA named Kenny Ladler who was in the CFL the last two years. He's been the best safety in camp so far behind the two starters (DJ Swearinger and Montae Nicholson).
    ~
    Hood is miscast in a 3-4 period. Would have been better served playing nose in a 4-3. But he's a good dude and a hard worker, hopefully that still counts for something.

I have no idea what's going to happen with Apke, but I'm pulling for him.
    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
      My only issue with Vaccaro is how long it will take for him to be hurt again.

LSU needs to be fun this year. Maybe knock off Bama, have a stupid fun high scoring affair with Auburn?

I hear Guice is a big hit with the Washington staff. Pitt should have drafted him and let Bell go, but nooooooooo...
      Yeah, but I think they'll be OK with Vacarro until Cruikshank is ready to be a starter; word is that he's looked solid already in camp. They'll be really deep at DB overall, so as long as they have Vacarro for half the season, they should be OK.
      I mean, when you have an All Pro free safety and Malcolm Butler, Adoree Jackson, and Logan Ryan as the starting corners, you can be a little weak at strong safety.

Guice was a steal. That whole situation with him pre-draft was super weird.

Comment

• A couple of other guys I'm gonna have my eye on this college season:

TE Tommy Sweeney BC

OL Dalton Risner K St

DE Chase Winovich Mich
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• There have been several good reports coming out of Jags camp regarding DJ Chark, including praise from AJ Bouye.

David Bahktiari carted off at Packers camp.

Gruden unhappy with Martavis Bryant.
          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
            Gruden unhappy with Martavis Bryant.
            No backsies.
            sigpic

Comment

No backsies.
              Not a big surprise. Seems he's not getting on the practice field and not learning the playbook. Can't believe the Steelers got a 3rd for that clown.
              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Corey Coleman traded to the Bills.
                Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Corey Coleman traded to the Bills.
                  Can't wait to see what pick they got for him.
                  ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post

Can't wait to see what pick they got for him.
                    ~
                    I'm guessing a late rounder. Guy has had broken hands the past two seasons. Not a good thing for a WR.

Btw, is there anything you can tell me about Niles Paul?
                    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Not a big surprise. Seems he's not getting on the practice field and not learning the playbook. Can't believe the Steelers got a 3rd for that clown.
                      He's a one dimensional deep threat. No more, no less. I heard a rumor that they were worried about him getting suspended again at some point, but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

I wonder if Coleman can put it all together in Buffalo. He should have plenty of opportunities to do so there.

I didn't watch the HOF game but from what I've seen from the highlights the new helmet penalties were called everywhere. Hopefully it's a case of over-calling it in the preseason to send a message then ease up for the regular season. At any rate, the solution is teaching proper tackling technique. These guys were taught for years to pop each other in the jaw with their helmet, and I get the feeling NFL coaches not willing to change are still trying to teach that. You're never going to get rid of helmet to helmet hits entirely; the game is just too fast at this point. So better helmet tech could help, too.
                      ​​​​​​
                      I've heard more people talk about no helmets entirely, which would probably turn the game into rugby. Which I still haven't watched rugby, but I'd be willing to check it out.
                      sigpic

Comment

He's a one dimensional deep threat. No more, no less. I heard a rumor that they were worried about him getting suspended again at some point, but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

I wonder if Coleman can put it all together in Buffalo. He should have plenty of opportunities to do so there.

I didn't watch the HOF game but from what I've seen from the highlights the new helmet penalties were called everywhere. Hopefully it's a case of over-calling it in the preseason to send a message then ease up for the regular season. At any rate, the solution is teaching proper tackling technique. These guys were taught for years to pop each other in the jaw with their helmet, and I get the feeling NFL coaches not willing to change are still trying to teach that. You're never going to get rid of helmet to helmet hits entirely; the game is just too fast at this point. So better helmet tech could help, too.
                        ​​​​​​
                        I've heard more people talk about no helmets entirely, which would probably turn the game into rugby. Which I still haven't watched rugby, but I'd be willing to check it out.
                        People that talk about no helmets are people that shouldn't be talked about. They're idiots. There has been better helmet tech out there for over a decade, from racing to pilots helmets, but instead it seems people have focused more on rules changes than improving the gear. I suspect because the leagues has had exclusive licensing contracts. The new rule is ridiculous and written poorly. It seems to be there just to make sure a flag gets thrown on any play that might make the league look "bad" on repeated viewing. I may buy one of those "make football violent again" hats just because. ****ers.
                        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Clevetown gets a 7th for Coleman.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Lev Bell looking for somebody to give him a wii adapter for game cube in Miami. LoL. Hard times for a brother relaxing in South Beach and not able to play his video games. If only he had a huge paycheck that he could sign....
                            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Don't know how many WWE fans we have here, or who might remember the Hardy Boyz, but it seems Matt Hardy's low back and pelvis are fusing together. That can't be a good thing.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Don't know how many WWE fans we have here, or who might remember the Hardy Boyz, but it seems Matt Hardy's low back and pelvis are fusing together. That can't be a good thing.
                                This is the same league that said and still says "nuh uh" when talking about the link between blows to the head and brain trauma. I have little doubt that they would sacrifice proper player safety solutions for a business deal. The NFL doesn't do obvious solutions and is currently run by an incompetent moron. But, money.

Bell has to use that time to practice Smash Bros, you.know! If this football thing doesn't work out he could always sign up for EVO.

So he literally is becoming broken Matt Hardy. Wrestling is hard on the body, man.
                                ​​​​​​
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X