2017 NFL Combine Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
    I don't think gaudy combine stats should jump a guy more than a round in the draft if his college play couldn't it.

OTOH, you never know if quality college play will translate to the NFL, so issues like arm-length or poor agility are valid reasons to downgrade a player.
    ~
    I think that's how teams use the combine. If you're an athletic freak that doesn't stand out otherwise, there's developmental potential. I feel like it doesn't change the grade of a player that much, it just answers questions about prospects physically, which does matter. For me, the difference between a lot of these players is pretty slim, so a bad showing or good showing can bump a player several spots.

For instance, I had Tabor as the No. 2 corner in the class, with his big problem being that he's not very physical. Seeing him perform so badly across the board makes me question whether he'll be able to tackle any big receiver. That makes me think his good game tape is maybe more a result of playing next to a bunch of other good DBs in a great defense than I thought previously. It also shows me that the concerns about his trouble tackling and beating downfield blocks or 50/50 balls are completely legitimate. Knowing that he's such a poor athlete doesn't change his great game tape, but it does put it in a different context.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeLegend View Post
      You kidding me. They just said he wont be ready to start the season. Here we go Jaylon Smith all over again lol
      Smith's injuries were more severe, I think. And I don't think he's had much of an injury history beyond his recent labrum/core muscle thing. Plus, Hooker would be missing OTAs anyways due to OSU's quarter system.

But I encourage you to talk up his injuries. Make him drop. Preferably to #30.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
        I don't think gaudy combine stats should jump a guy more than a round in the draft if his college play couldn't it.

OTOH, you never know if quality college play will translate to the NFL, so issues like arm-length or poor agility are valid reasons to downgrade a player.
        ~
        I don't think it effects the team's grades very much, but it can effect mine.
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• If a player blows up the combine when not expected to do so, it can raise his stock tremendously. If he's already known as a workout warrior though, I don't think it matters as much to most teams unless that player has some legendarily freaky numbers.

It works the opposite way too; stinking up the joint causes teams to go back to the tape, combing through it to find any apparent lack of athleticism.
          sigpic

Comment

• Here's an interesting guy, probably moved himself from 3rd day to 2nd day. With 10 picks and this many good DBs in the draft, I hope we double up on safety.

Josh Jones
            ~

Comment

• Sometimes it's not always the stats players put up that effect them. Take Takk McKinley for example, I read somewhere he got a 3 on the Wonderlic. Normally, who cares, but if you add in the fact it was horribly evident he couldn't take in information on the fly during drills considering how many times he didn't finish them due to repeatedly doing them wrong. There's no doubt in my mind he's practiced them before, how could he STILL not figure them out?? That should scare teams, because he may be able to digest a playbook, you may spend a high first on a guy who only understand how to run straight forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeLegend View Post
                You kidding me. They just said he wont be ready to start the season. Here we go Jaylon Smith all over again lol
                When did they say that? Because it contradicts not only what I heard Malik Hooker say today, but everything that's been said about his injury, the recovery time table, etc.

Originally posted by JoeLegend View Post
                Which by the way i was right about Smith last year. Also didn't I say Myles Jack would drop cuz dont typically draft 4-3 LBs in tge 1st round. I already wasnt that high on Cunningham and Foster now I'm sure they drop. Only way Foster goes in the 1st is if its by a 3-4 team.
                Jack dropped because of a knee issue, not because of his on-field play. Although if you want to play that card, Jack was talked about as a multi-positional athlete in exactly the same terms you talk about Peppers.
                Originally posted by jepg
                I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
                Originally posted by jepg
                Blue is right

Comment

• Originally posted by JLash View Post
                  Sometimes it's not always the stats players put up that effect them. Take Takk McKinley for example, I read somewhere he got a 3 on the Wonderlic. Normally, who cares, but if you add in the fact it was horribly evident he couldn't take in information on the fly during drills considering how many times he didn't finish them due to repeatedly doing them wrong. There's no doubt in my mind he's practiced them before, how could he STILL not figure them out?? That should scare teams, because he may be able to digest a playbook, you may spend a high first on a guy who only understand how to run straight forward.
                  How do you score a 3 on the Wonderlic? That almost has to be on purpose.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue View Post

When did they say that? Because it contradicts not only what I heard Malik Hooker say today, but everything that's been said about his injury, the recovery time table, etc.

Jack dropped because of a knee issue, not because of his on-field play. Although if you want to play that card, Jack was talked about as a multi-positional athlete in exactly the same terms you talk about Peppers.
                    Everything I've see about Hooker says he'll be ready by training camp.

I see Peppers as a more athletic, slightly smaller Shaq Thompson. If Peppers can get to 225-230 in an NFL weight room, I think he can play LB just fine. I'd never put him in man coverage against a TE, but a running LB that spies RBs? I think he could do great in that role. To me, Peppers' success will be based mostly on if he goes to a team that has the ingenuity to know how to use him.

Comment

• Wait, did Tak screw up the combine drills?
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
                        Wait, did Tak screw up the combine drills?
                        Like he was autistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post

Like he was autistic.
                          Well, ****. I missed it.

Wonder how much that will effect how a 4-3 team views him when all he has to do is see-ball-get-ball.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Myles Garrett looks like the hero in a 70s blaxploitation movie.

Comment

• I would put Jabrill at strong safety. He lets you use more 2 man under and cover 4 schemes.

Comment

• Also can throw Peppers in the slot and still play man coverage. Can cover TEs and if paired with good depth at safety help shadow an athletic TE with size (Think Kelce/Olsen)

Comment

Working...
                                X