2017 NFL Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    That and the saying is "dumb as a bag of hammers," not "sharp as a bag of hammers."
    Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
      Blue the king of narratives.

Lamar's a little raw in terms of footwork, but the raw passing ability is there. His arm talent is incredible. If he improves as expected, then he's going to be a top tier QB prospect.

If you knock Lamar's offense for being simple, then you have to do it for literally all QBs in college football, and your narrative doesn't even make sense. All these QBs have to make reads, they're not being blindly told what to do. College coverages aren't even that different from NFL one's either. It's just everything is faster at the NFL

Lamar is a really smart QB who reads defenses well. I don't think his intelligence is going to be an issue. If his mechanics improve, he's a surefire QB1
      He was a 56% passer last year despite teams having to commit heavily to the box to stop him from running all over them. How does a player even complete under 60% of his passes in an offense designed for easy completions, anyways?

No, I just have to knock the ones that consistently churn out players who aren't ready to play in the NFL. Since, y'know, my whole point is that there are issues with this specific system. For example, there is a massive difference between making a read on a play and being able to consistently move to the second and third reads. Petrino QBs have to do the former, not the latter. Petrino's offense is very simple, and a lot of what the QB does on a given pass play is already determined before he even snaps the ball. With Jackson, Louisville runs a lot of rollouts. The reason is both simple and obvious: it reduces the amount of field Jackson has to look at, and if his first read isn't there, he's free to tuck and run. Making more than one read, maybe two reads, on a given play is extremely rare.

When Jackson does have to make those multiple reads, it isn't pretty. Look at the Clemson game: Jackson accounted for nearly 500 yards of total offense, but he had plenty of plays where he took a sack or scrambled around for a loss/no gain because he didn't know what to do when his first read was gone. That meant that, even on a simple 3rd and 6, he ended up taking a sack and forcing Louisville to punt because he couldn't identify where the pressure would come from or what to do if his No. 1 option was covered. Instead, he stared down the left sideline and didn't look back to his right until the defense was on top of him.

Besides which, saying that college defenses "aren't that different from the NFL" is horrifically bad. College defenses aren't half as complex or varied as the NFL.Even veteran NFL quarterbacks can struggle to correctly read defensive coverages. Claiming college QBs see anything close to that is too ridiculous to be deserving of further comment.

I never questioned Jackson's intelligence, but I doubt he's going to be any more successful than Brian Brohm, who was a coach's son and basically grew up in the QB room. Intelligence is not a substitute for experience, something Jackson is not getting at the college level. An offense that consistently limits its quarterback's reads is not going to help him be successful long-term, especially not a quarterback who is maybe pushing 210 lbs and has average-at-best accuracy. Jackson can't run 20 times a game in the NFL unless he puts on about 20-25 pounds, which is a lot to ask from a player who relies so heavily on his quickness to make plays. A lot of what he does won't translate to the NFL, and his college offense isn't teaching him the skills to make up for it. I think we look back in five years and laugh at the idea that Lamar Jackson was considered a first overall type talent.
      Last edited by Blue; 03-09-2017, 01:57 AM.
      Originally posted by jepg
      I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
      Blue is right

Comment

• Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 23m23 minutes ago

Bears set to sign Mike Glennon to a deal at close to $15M APY. Others (NYJ, Buf) kicked tires in $8M-$10M APY range, bailed when price rose.
        -----
        ~

Comment

• Stephon Gilmore to the Pats for $14M+/year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...tephon-gilmore

Comment

• Looks like the Pats will sign Stephon Gilmore to a big deal.

Very un-Patriot like of them.
            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

• Whitworth to the Rams, also per Breer:

Deal b/w Andrew Whitworth and Rams: 3 yrs, $36 million. $13 million in 2017. $24.5 million over 2. $15 million guaranteed.
              -------
              ~

Comment

• The New England Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints for Brandin Cooks per sources

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/statu...56687989293056

This is so weird to see the Pats so active this time of year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
                  The New England Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints for Brandin Cooks per sources

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/statu...56687989293056

This is so weird to see the Pats so active this time of year.
                  Am I the only one that thinks that sounds a little lopsided?

Comment

• I dont get why the Pats would make that trade
                    Legendarily swinging and missing on draft predictions since '10.

Comment

• A butler and a cook

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeLegend View Post
                        I dont get why the Pats would make that trade
                        They just signed Stephon Gilmore for ~$14M/season

Comment

• All WRs named Kenny get $32 million.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

The Browns are signing WR Kenny Britt, source said (as @caplannfl reported). 4 years, $32.5M.
                          ~

Comment

• I'll be waiting on Okung with no agent again

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

As long as they don't sign their back-up TE for $6 mil a year, right?
                              Ha, yeah. At least Escobar isn't here anymore
                              CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

• Originally posted by EL Guapo View Post
                                A butler and a cook
                                Haha, nice.
                                I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
                                Blue is right

Comment

Working...
                                X