Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 NFL Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Blue View Post

    It is the Browns' incompetence that Pryor isn't under contract with them for next year because they easily could have just franchise tagged him and then worked out an extension. The agents have absolutely nothing to do with it. Congratulations on not knowing how the franchise tag works.
    Why am I even talking here? You're just assuming my argument for me and having your own little discussion in your head. You don't need me here since you're obviously arguing for me regardless of what I'm saying, and don't even bother to read what I'm writing. Just make your assumptions, and have fun with your little head arguments.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post

      Why am I even talking here? You're just assuming my argument for me and having your own little discussion in your head. You don't need me here since you're obviously arguing for me regardless of what I'm saying, and don't even bother to read what I'm writing. Just make your assumptions, and have fun with your little head arguments.
      I'm sorry you can't understand that Pryor's agents have absolutely nothing to do with Pryor hitting free agency, and that saying they're busy with another player's contract (which is itself unbelievable for a number of reasosn) is not an excuse for Cleveland not having him under contract because the agents had literally zero control over whether Pryor would be a Brown in 2017.

      If you don't like me pointing that out, maybe you shouldn't have brought it up.

      Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post

      It will definitely be a disappointment if they cannot come to agreement before the deadline hits. I'm not crapping on them yet for taking so long because his agents are the same agents as Antonio Brown's, and they had been focusing on getting the Brown contract down since it was such large money, and put Pryor on the back burner. Supposedly the agents are at the combine to work with the Browns FO now, but we'll see.

      I know you just want to point at the Browns FO for being completely incompetent because the agents were working on other cases, but it's not solely the case here.
      Originally posted by jepg
      I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

      I should be put on an island and nuked.
      Originally posted by jepg
      Blue is right

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by kirmie View Post

        Paying somebody almost as many millions of dollars per year as he has started games is almost always a bad idea.
        $14M/yr is not that much for a starting QB
        This is honestly all I'm trying to say, and what I really mean by that is, will someone please give Dallas a Day 2 pick for Romo I don't wanna waste Year 2 of Dak's rookie contract because of cap/depth issues
        CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

        Comment


        • #49
          I would much rather have Kaep at like 8 mil a year than Glennon at 14

          It's unleash the dragon time yall

          Comment


          • #50
            $14 million would make Mike Glennon t-23rd highest paid player in the league (although that will inevitably drop into the high twenties or low thirties once free agents start signing). Who do you think is more likely to have an impact on whether his team wins games or not: Mike Glennon or Luke Kuechley? Mike Glennon or Eric Berry/Tyrann Mathieu? Mike Glennon or Dez Bryant?

            I am still a strong believer that if you have a quarterback like Andy Dalton or Kirk Cousins who needs great talent around them to succeed, you can't pay them like they're difference-makers on their own because you need that money to get that supporting talent on the roster. A team like Cincinnati is already at a disadvantage to Pittsburgh because of inferior quarterback play, paying that quarterback like he isn't a liability is just compounding the problem.
            Originally posted by jepg
            I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

            I should be put on an island and nuked.
            Originally posted by jepg
            Blue is right

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Daniel View Post

              You think Glennon has a better chance of saving their jobs than a rookie QB? With Glennon, you can't pitch the whole "Look, we're up and coming now, the pieces are in place." All Glennon gives you is a garbage QB to win 5 to 7 games with. Maybe you survive with seven wins. Maybe. But they already have a lot of other problems, and he's not solving them.

              You win 4 games with a rookie QB that looks even remotely good and you have a better chance of keeping your job. Plus then you may have even longer security. Them being on the hot seat is exactly why they should draft a QB instead of sign Glennon.
              You just want Jamal Adams or Jonathan Allen to be there for Tenn.


              Flinchy McTapQwik

              Lol

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Blue View Post
                $14 million would make Mike Glennon t-23rd highest paid player in the league (although that will inevitably drop into the high twenties or low thirties once free agents start signing). Who do you think is more likely to have an impact on whether his team wins games or not: Mike Glennon or Luke Kuechley? Mike Glennon or Eric Berry/Tyrann Mathieu? Mike Glennon or Dez Bryant?

                I am still a strong believer that if you have a quarterback like Andy Dalton or Kirk Cousins who needs great talent around them to succeed, you can't pay them like they're difference-makers on their own because you need that money to get that supporting talent on the roster. A team like Cincinnati is already at a disadvantage to Pittsburgh because of inferior quarterback play, paying that quarterback like he isn't a liability is just compounding the problem.
                I agree with all of this in theory, but the salary cap is going up, could be $200M by the '20s if the league stops fudging their revenue numbers, and there aren't any Kuechly/Mathieu/Berry/Bryant caliber players in UFA this year or ever.

                Again, I'm mostly making the point that $14M is a reasonable rate for a starting QB because THAT'S HOW MUCH ROMO MAKES THIS YEAR ON A NON-GUARANTEED DEAL AND HE'S AWESOME CAN I AT LEAST HAS A THIRD ROUNDER
                CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

                  I agree with all of this in theory, but the salary cap is going up, could be $200M by the '20s if the league stops fudging their revenue numbers, and there aren't any Kuechly/Mathieu/Berry/Bryant caliber players in UFA this year or ever.

                  Again, I'm mostly making the point that $14M is a reasonable rate for a starting QB because THAT'S HOW MUCH ROMO MAKES THIS YEAR ON A NON-GUARANTEED DEAL AND HE'S AWESOME CAN I AT LEAST HAS A THIRD ROUNDER
                  No, you can't have anything. Dallas will have to cut Romo, who will then sign with the Texans and immediately get injured.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

                  Lol

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Britt could be a good pick up for Dallas

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Dallas just needs to sign their own and draft well.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

                      Lol

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

                        I agree with all of this in theory, but the salary cap is going up, could be $200M by the '20s if the league stops fudging their revenue numbers, and there aren't any Kuechly/Mathieu/Berry/Bryant caliber players in UFA this year or ever.

                        Again, I'm mostly making the point that $14M is a reasonable rate for a starting QB because THAT'S HOW MUCH ROMO MAKES THIS YEAR ON A NON-GUARANTEED DEAL AND HE'S AWESOME CAN I AT LEAST HAS A THIRD ROUNDER
                        There are never players of those caliber in free agency, except for exceptionally rare occasions like Ndamukong Suh two years ago. And I get what you mean by the cap going up; like I said, Glennon won't be in that exact range once free agency opens. But at no other position are below-average starters paid among the top 30 players in the league. Obviously you pay whatever you have to in order to keep a good quarterback, but Mike Glennon isn't a good quarterback. Paying that much money to a poor starter just so you can say you have a not-terrible starter at the position hamstrings the franchise in the future.

                        Denver is just about the poster child for how to manage the QB position. They built up the roster to the point where they were an attractive destination for Peyton Manning, developed a competent backup in Brock Osweiler, refused to match what he was offered in free agency, and then refused to trade for Colin Kaepernick when they had Trevor Siemian on roster (they basically got the same production Kaepernick or Osweiler would have given them at a tenth of the price via Siemian). Yes, Manning coming available was a rare situation-but isn't the situation with Romo right now nearly identical? Weren't Carson Palmer and Alex Smith on the trade block within the last five years? Granted, I thought the Palmer and Smith trades were a little rich for the caliber of player involved, but my point stands that a number of teams couldn't even try to make those moves because of the money they already had invested in bad quarterbacks. It makes no sense to me to do that when there are potential upgrades to be had every year in free agency, the draft, and via trades.
                        Originally posted by jepg
                        I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

                        I should be put on an island and nuked.
                        Originally posted by jepg
                        Blue is right

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Castiron View Post
                          You just want Jamal Adams or Jonathan Allen to be there for Tenn.
                          After Allen's medicals and his awesome combine, I'm really preferring Jamal Adams.

                          Although in an ideal scenario, no QB will be off the board and someone will trade up to get ahead of the Jets. Then we can trade down, take Sidney Jones and OJ Howard, and win the draft.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Denver still offered Osweiler 3 years/$45M, supposedly.

                            How can anyone know how good Glennon is or isn't when he's barely played in 3 years? Guy almost beat Seattle on the road in their SB season. You're talking about a $6-7M difference in marginal value between him and someone like Kaepernick or Hoyer in projected market value. That's worth, what, a slot corner in this free agent market? A box safety? You can find those guys in the draft, as well as another QB to develop.
                            CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Daniel View Post

                              After Allen's medicals and his awesome combine, I'm really preferring Jamal Adams.

                              Although in an ideal scenario, no QB will be off the board and someone will trade up to get ahead of the Jets. Then we can trade down, take Sidney Jones and OJ Howard, and win the draft.
                              If the Titans got Allen or Adams, I might have to become a half-ass fan.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

                              Lol

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post
                                Denver still offered Osweiler 3 years/$45M, supposedly.

                                How can anyone know how good Glennon is or isn't when he's barely played in 3 years? Guy almost beat Seattle on the road in their SB season. You're talking about a $6-7M difference in marginal value between him and someone like Kaepernick or Hoyer in projected market value. That's worth, what, a slot corner in this free agent market? A box safety? You can find those guys in the draft, as well as another QB to develop.
                                Yeah, there's nothing saying they can't sign Glennon and draft a guy like Peterman, or Kizer won't be there in the 2nd. Reaching, even for a QB, is still reaching.
                                Flinchy McTapQwik

                                Lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X