No announcement yet.

2017 NFL Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Cleveland is trying to trade for Trumaine Johnson. Depending on the price, I think that's a great move. Probably means Joe Haden is on the trade/cut block.
    Originally posted by jepg
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    Blue is right

Comment

Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post
      Denver still offered Osweiler 3 years/$45M, supposedly.

How can anyone know how good Glennon is or isn't when he's barely played in 3 years? Guy almost beat Seattle on the road in their SB season. You're talking about a $6-7M difference in marginal value between him and someone like Kaepernick or Hoyer in projected market value. That's worth, what, a slot corner in this free agent market? A box safety? You can find those guys in the draft, as well as another QB to develop.
      Yeah, they don't deserve a ton of credit for that one, but I bring it up mainly to point out that they were willing to let him go if they couldn't keep him for what they deemed appropriate value. And who knows, maybe Osweiler would have been less of a trainwreck if he stayed in the same system he'd been in for four years.

Matt Flynn set franchise records in a Week 17 spot start for Green Bay, you gonna pay him $10 million/year in this market? I could spend hours talking about QBs who "almost" won games against good teams or looked good coming in cold off the bench but didn't amount to anything long-term. I don't believe the league feels Glennon is a particularly great QB, and if Tampa thought he showed much on tape as a rookie, they wouldn't have drafted Jameis Winston first overall.

You're suggesting that $6-7 million in savings goes towards signing an additional player, but each team still has just 53 roster spots. It's far more likely they sign a superior free agent at a position than the free agent they otherwise would have signed-for example, New York signing Janoris Jenkins instead of Prince Amukamara last year. Or it would go towards retaining a current player who would otherwise be too expensive to keep. Keep in mind that guaranteed money is going to go up as well, making it harder to get out of that contract if it turns out to be a mistake.

Blue is right

Comment

Browns have been tied to pretty much every major free agent, and several trade options, which is understandable, considering their cap space and plethora of draft picks.

Comment

Look it's easy to say "if Chicago saves this much money at QB they can go spend this much on this player/position", but team building just isn't that binary. Any market-resetting contract has an effect on the locker room that can't be measured and sets a precedent for future extension negotiations with your draft picks that can be. It's why I don't see NYG's moves from last spring working out in the long run despite the immediate results.
          CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

If 49ers trade for Cousins, then Lynch and Shanny boutta be outta here in 3 years

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
              If 49ers trade for Cousins, then Lynch and Shanny boutta be outta here in 3 years
              What if they get a good deal because the Skins' alternative is having Cousins play on the tag and then walk for no more than a 3rd round 2018 comp pick?
              ~

Comment

Apparently Denver isn't looking to add a right tackle which is stupid. Especially if they plan on making a run at Romo.
                sigpic

Comment

If the Redskins trade Cousins, oh boy.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

So, I know Cousins costs a ton for an okay-to-pretty good QB, but what choice does the current Skins regime have? There is really no contingency plan in place, and getting a solid QB prospect in the draft may require tanking, which I can't see Snyder having the patience for. This year's QB crop has a ton of questions around each prospect as well. Finding these solid mid round guys may be happening more recently, but is still largely the exception to the norm. I just don't see what choice the current regime has if they want to keep their jobs. Of course, paying too much for Cousins may result in not having enough to go around to other positions. Quite the catch-22.

Anyone else think Romo may be fools gold at this point? I would love to see Tony get his ring, but he will break after 4 games.
                    sigpic

Comment

Tank for Lamar

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                        Tank for Lamar
                        Why tank for a Day 2 (at best) prospect?

Blue is right

Comment

You don't buy a QB in FA you draft one, Getting a franchise QB in FA is a once in a decade thing (Brees, Manning) every single "Franchise" QB has been drafted by their respective teams.

Mike Glennon may get 14+ Million but he's not gonna be worth close to that price, NFL teams rarely if ever learn from their mistakes and if they do (Raiders) it's because they eventually let a GM build the roster and gave them time to develop a franchise QB, Finding a franchise QB is hard to do but it can be done.

But congrats to Mike Glennon for stealing 14+ million from whichever team he signs with.

Annoyer of Everyone, and I'm not sorry about it.

Owner of the Portland Horned Owls.

Lord Of the Mentally Retarded

Long May MD4L homer Florida players

May Rags always be drunk.

Defense wins championships, Murderers win at everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post

After Allen's medicals and his awesome combine, I'm really preferring Jamal Adams.

Although in an ideal scenario, no QB will be off the board and someone will trade up to get ahead of the Jets. Then we can trade down, take Sidney Jones and OJ Howard, and win the draft.
                            well fuck you too
                            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Brandon Marshall to the Giants for two years. That'll be fun to watch next year.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xmadraven View Post
                                You don't buy a QB in FA you draft one, Getting a franchise QB in FA is a once in a decade thing (Brees, Manning) every single "Franchise" QB has been drafted by their respective teams.

Mike Glennon may get 14+ Million but he's not gonna be worth close to that price, NFL teams rarely if ever learn from their mistakes and if they do (Raiders) it's because they eventually let a GM build the roster and gave them time to develop a franchise QB, Finding a franchise QB is hard to do but it can be done.

But congrats to Mike Glennon for stealing 14+ million from whichever team he signs with.
                                It'll probably be the Bears. Though when it's all said and done, he'll still be in the bottom third in the league for starting QB pay.

Personally, I liked Glennon when he was drafted and my opinion really hasn't changed. I don't think he's a horrible signing at $14 million. He's certainly better than any QB the Bears had last year. (Granted, that's not saying a lot.....) However, he's not a franchise QB, but he's serviceable. The way QBs are paid nowadays, whether you agree with it or not, $14 million a year is average for an average QB.

Be that as it may, I'm hoping that Trubisky is there at #3 for the Bears.

Comment

Working...
                                X