This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha! Catch rule won't save you!

I wonder if Goodell told the referees to ease up on that rule tonight due to frequent outrage.

Ugh. Brady is set up perfectly though.
    sigpic

Comment

• Get wrecked Tommy! No win for you!
      sigpic

Comment

• AAaaaaaaaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahaha
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• My long national nightmare is finally over. For this year.
          ~

Comment

• 9:20: A super hot waitress with blond pigtails and glasses just had to break up the fight, and half the people left. Another lady just began yelling: "I would not have said this in front of my children."
            Nobody live-blogs like Walter. NOBODY!
            ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
              My long national nightmare is finally over. For this year.
              ~
              Pre-order that Alex Smith jersey yet?
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Pre-order that Alex Smith jersey yet?
                haha. I've never ordered any jerseys. just not an item that I like to wear.

As for the team, I hope they do nothing in free agency except sign some of our own guys. Zach Brown, for example. Let's get some compensatory picks next year for a change.
                ~

Comment

• Nickel says the Steelers try and sign David Amerson.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
                    Nickel says the Steelers try and sign David Amerson.
                    Any particular reason? I completely forgot about that guy. Seeing as how he's a player from the 2013 draft, I shouldn't be surprised.

What the Steelers do in FA depends on Bell. I'd personally let him go. Grab a good RB in the draft and let he and Conner duke it out. Letting go an expensive player with a ton of milage would be a classic Steelers move. But...these aren't the classic Steelers. That money should be used to build a better defense, as the 2017 version has a ton of holes that didn't get exposed as much due to a weak AFC and a ton of QB injuries.
                    ​​​​​​
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Any particular reason? I completely forgot about that guy. Seeing as how he's a player from the 2013 draft, I shouldn't be surprised.

What the Steelers do in FA depends on Bell. I'd personally let him go. Grab a good RB in the draft and let he and Conner duke it out. Letting go an expensive player with a ton of milage would be a classic Steelers move. But...these aren't the classic Steelers. That money should be used to build a better defense, as the 2017 version has a ton of holes that didn't get exposed as much due to a weak AFC and a ton of QB injuries.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Because they need help at CB, and he's long fast and athletic which is what they have shifted to in recent years.

I'd let Bell walk too. Think it would be a smart move, but the Steelers don't do what I think is smart much anymore.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

Because they need help at CB, and he's long fast and athletic which is what they have shifted to in recent years.

I'd let Bell walk too. Think it would be a smart move, but the Steelers don't do what I think is smart much anymore.
                        They don't really need help at CB, as their top 3 are solid. Artie is still super young, Haden had a great year, and Hilton came from nowhere. They can look at a vet dime back I guess? They have a couple of recent draft picks in the pipeline too. It's the safeties that need the upgrade. They blow, and it doesn't help those CBs at all.
                        sigpic

Comment

• On the subject, I was actually looking into the Pittsburgh defense a bit and man, it's going to be a mess next year without significant roster moves. Shazier covered a bunch of holes. As for capable players, there are the aforementioned top 3 corners, Watt, and the DEs. I think Hargrave would be really good in a 4 man line, but I don't see him thriving at nose. The LBs not named Watt are in rough shape. I like Vince for what he is, but you are in trouble if he's your best ILB. This is assuming Shazier doesn't return of course. Bud seems to have busted, and there isn't much behind him aside from some longshots and Chickillo, who is a stopgap at best. And again, those safeties are really, really bad. Mitchell is done, wasn't being used right anyways, and can be cut for significant cap savings. Davis is entering a make or break year. His sophomore slump was more of a canyon.

So basically the entire middle of the defense and one of the OLB spots need revamped. This bears repeating: let Bell walk. It will piss off casual fans and fantasy players, but it's common sense not to give a big contract to an RB with an injury history coming off 400 touches. Especially when RB can be filled fairly easily. The argument that I keep seeing is that no replacement will be of Bell's caliber. While that may be true, this is a team that is strong everywhere else on offense (execpt TE, but we will see if Vance can stay healthy). They can put in a new RB and rework the scheme. Which seeing as how they have a "new" OC anyways tweaks should be incoming. And let's be honest: Bell is extremely steady but never broke games open on his own this year. The last game I remember him taking over was the snowy Bills game from the year prior. This year, the game breaking was left to AB and Juju. So I figure get a back who can contribute to the passing game and let him duke it out with Conner. Bell's pass protection will be the thing most missed, but it's a small price to pay for an improved D. Plus, the OL is still really good. Ben should be fine as long as Fitchner doesn't give him free reign to ignore check downs and hold the ball for 20 seconds again.

These aren't popular thoughts on Stiller websites, as the fans range from super-homers to "fire everyone, every week". Though I'm not the biggest fan of some of these coaches either. I need to see Tomlin clamp down on the drama and keep the team focused to fully let him off the hook again.
                          ​​​​​​
                          sigpic

Comment

• Tomlin is never doing that. This is his team, so this is what you get. Losing Bell shouldn't be a big deal (not that that will happen, either) since they aren't a running team anyway. He can be replaced by any back that can catch. No idea who they'll get to replace Shazier, not because he was great or anything but because this isn't a good draft for ILBs imo. I kinda like the idea of Derwin James playing the Mack, though I suspect he goes in the top 20. Safety will be interesting. Neither Davis nor Mitchell are FS and there isn't much in the draft so I'll be mildly curious what they'll do. Two names that wouldn't surprise me are Whitehead and Watts. We'll start to get a better idea in the weeks leading up to and following the combine.
                            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• I would be ok with Dion Lewis, doubling up on Pitt Panthers in the backfield. Haley never could figure out how to use a player like that. Maybe Fitchner will.

Hubbard is probably gone too. So OL depth should be looked at. Every team should be doing that anyways though so it should go without saying.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X