Lenny scouts prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenny scouts prospects

I miss the forums so I'll bring them back single-handedly. This is where I'm gonna post my thoughts on prospects. I'm starting out with quarterbacks and will work my way through all positions except offensive line because I'm not going to pretend that I even know what to look for there. Mods, if there are any still here, please sticky this so it doesn't suffocate from all the spam.
    sigpic

I watched like one Draft Breakdown video on Tanner Lee and that guy really sucks.
    sigpic

Comment

I watched Lamar Jackson. I dig him. Foot work and mechanics obviously need work but I'd rather have a QB with those issues as opposed to piss poor accuracy. I know his completion percentage isn't the greatest but his team was trash and he had a ton of drops. Also Louisville's playcalling was some of the worst I've ever seen. I do hope he doesn't run as often as he did in college once he's in the pros. Probably my biggest concern with him. When he has time he does make some 'wow' throws. He'll compete for my number one QB spot.
      Last edited by Lenny; 03-04-2018, 11:16 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Sam Darnold was weird. When he's on, he's far and away the best QB I've watched. But boy does he have some of the worst ****ing throws at times. I've never said "What the hell" out loud that much in my life. I think arm strength concerns are overblown. I dig his accuracy and I like his mobility. Only concern is that he either seems like a guy who's trying way too hard or is easily flustered. Neither of those seem good, but at least the former is something I think can be coached out of him.

The Ohio State game was one of the most painful games to watch.
        sigpic

Comment

Luke Falk sucks. I thought he'd be a diamond in the rough type, but every damn throw is a check down. Thought his accuracy was pretty meh too. Was a total snooze to watch.
          Last edited by Lenny; 03-04-2018, 11:16 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Josh Rosen was good. I pretty much see him being a Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith level type of QB (Good not great.) Nothing really wowed me, pretty much does everything good. I don't see a high ceiling but I think outside of injuries he's the safest QB in the draft. Not really a fresh opinion. I guess his biggest risk is if the rumors are true and he's really a pain in the ass to coach.
            sigpic

Comment

I watched Josh Allen. Not as bad as I thought. Definitely the worst of the 1st round QBs though. I think a lot of it depends on stuff that internet scouts don't know which is Allen's personality. Is he the kind of guy that lives and breaths football or does he not give a ****. He usually is accurate on the throws he should make which surprised me. Has too much faith in his arm though, throws off his back foot too much. Needs to cut the cute **** out too, stop running backwards for 20 yards and just throw it away. Probably the weirdest thing is how he consistently gets worse as the game goes on. Maybe he's running out of gas or he's easy to figure out. If you can give him a couple of years and coach him up he could be solid. But I wouldn't touch in him the top 15.
              sigpic

Comment

Other QBs:

Mason Rudolph: Arm is just too damn weak. Finds decent gaps in a defense but floats every single throw. His game won't translate. WDYW said Bryce Petty 2.0 and I like that comparison.

Mike White: Probably my favorite post first round QB. Typically a smart passer, throws a nice ball. Sometimes too confident of a passer. Good accuracy. Painfully slow though. Basically a statue.

Kyle Lauletta: Smart decisions, accurate, good mobility. Any kind of pressure though and he folds. Intriguing but probably just good backup at the next level.

Kurt Benkert: Every throw is a missile. Has no kind of touch and his accuracy at that 8 to 15 yard range is pretty bad. Good mobility.

Riley Ferguson: Really liked this guy. Lanky as hell. Good accuracy, can move around a bit in the pocket (not lightning quick). Makes quick decisions. Ball placement can be shaky at times. Maybe could be developed into a low end starter. Very least a good backup.
                sigpic

Comment

Finished Baker Mayfield. QB1 for me. Obviously very accurate, good placement on his throws, gives his receivers a chance to do something. Smart with the ball. Pretty strong. Okay mobility but not that great. Honestly, I think sometimes he thinks he's faster than he really is. He benefits from a good offensive line, so many plays he has like 10 seconds to make a decision. He usually makes the right one but still, he's had opportunities that some QBs on lesser teams don't have. Does get flustered when he gets pressured, especially in the Georgia game once they got a pass rush going. Some plays you wish he would just throw the ball away and go to the next down. Needs to slide more. Footwork like most rookie QBs needs work. I think Rosen and Mayfield are two of the safer QBs to me. I don't think their ceilings are as high as say Darnold or Jackson.
                  sigpic

Comment

QB Rankings

1. Baker Mayfield
                    2. Josh Rosen
                    3. Lamar Jackson
                    4. Sam Darnold
                    5. Josh Allen
                    6. Mike White
                    7. Riley Ferguson
                    8. Mason Rudolph
                    9. Kyle Lauletta
                    10. Luke Falk

Onto running backs next.
                    sigpic

Comment

Glad to see ya. I don't think any mods are still around to sticky this. It would be nice though, especially to kill off these spam bots.

I agree with you on Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson. With Rosen his main issue are the rumors about his personality. So he may be solid, or he could be Jay Cutler. Darnold could have used an extra year to build consistency. He's really gotta clean up those turnovers. Jackson is boom/bust. If his mechanical issues get solved he'll be an absolute nightmare. Mayfield is in the same boat but I think the bust potential is a little less.

I'm not a fan of Allen though. Just a big strong armed guy that can run around. Sucks at everything else. Lauletta and White could turn into strong backups, maybe stopgap guys.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                        QB Rankings

1. Baker Mayfield
                        2. Josh Rosen
                        3. Lamar Jackson
                        4. Sam Darnold
                        5. Josh Allen
                        6. Mike White
                        7. Riley Ferguson
                        8. Mason Rudolph
                        9. Kyle Lauletta
                        10. Luke Falk

Onto running backs next.
                        Interesting rankings. I'm a fellow non-believer in Faulk and Allen. For me it's Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen. Baker Mayfield looks like the most well rounded prospect, but lack of size and no elite speed makes me wonder if he can do the same kind of stuff he did in college at the next level. Rosen lacks the it factor, but looks ready. Darnold is an all day No. 1 overall in 2016, but he was lacking in 2017. Still got the right skills. Jackson has the highest ceiling, obviously, but needs work.
                        Allen I don't get the hype for. He was great last year when he had a stellar running back. Just seems like this year's "tall, big armed QB that brings nothing else to the table" prospect.

You ought to get a mod to sticky this before it gets buried by bots.

Comment

Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
                          Glad to see ya. I don't think any mods are still around to sticky this. It would be nice though, especially to kill off these spam bots.

I agree with you on Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson. With Rosen his main issue are the rumors about his personality. So he may be solid, or he could be Jay Cutler. Darnold could have used an extra year to build consistency. He's really gotta clean up those turnovers. Jackson is boom/bust. If his mechanical issues get solved he'll be an absolute nightmare. Mayfield is in the same boat but I think the bust potential is a little less.

I'm not a fan of Allen though. Just a big strong armed guy that can run around. Sucks at everything else. Lauletta and White could turn into strong backups, maybe stopgap guys.
                          Yeah, it seems like there's a few guys in the 1st who kind of have that personality question surrounding them. Which is scary because on the outside you'll probably never really know if these guys have the work ethic to actually make it at the next level. I'm still reeling from Paxton Lynch being a lazy idiot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post

Yeah, it seems like there's a few guys in the 1st who kind of have that personality question surrounding them. Which is scary because on the outside you'll probably never really know if these guys have the work ethic to actually make it at the next level. I'm still reeling from Paxton Lynch being a lazy idiot.
                            And here I thought Lynch was just naturally bad at pro football. Of course I don't follow the Denver gossip that much. Outside of knowing them to be one of Cousins' admirers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, he's naturally bad too, just the bad work ethic amplifies it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X