Lenny scouts prospects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
    Oh, he's naturally bad too, just the bad work ethic amplifies it.
    Really? I didn't know about that. Shame for the Broncos.
    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Here's my WR rankings.

1. Calvin Ridley
      • He's good. Gets off of tight coverage, moves with QB, quick cuts, nice hands. Again if I'm nitpicking, he won't be breaking many tackles in the NFL.
      2. Courtland Sutton
      • Ideal male body. Physical, uses his size to his advantage, nice adjustments, had success even though his QB play was awful. Speed is meh, thought route running was just okay.
      3. DJ Shark
      • Didn't get a ton of opportunities at LSU but I was impressed with what I saw. Runs good routes, almost always getting YAC. Good returner as well.
      4. Christian Kirk
      • Ideal slot guy. Fast, quick cuts on his routes. Can line up both as a receiver and in the backfield.
      5. Anthony Miller
      • Stats are padded by catching a ton of screens. Doesn't run a ton of diverse routes. A ton of YAC, gets good separation. Great hands, surprisingly strong, was Memphis's go-to guy in big games. Would be another great slot guy.
      6. James Washington
      • Strong, surprisingly fast. Can outrun most corners, solid hands, gets good separation. Did play in a ****ty conference defensively.
      7. Dante Pettis
      • Another solid slot guy. Wasn't 'wowed' by him, but he plays a clean game. Nice speed, elusive, great route runner, nice hands, moves with the play.
      8. DJ Moore
      • Iffy on him. When he's on he's on, but he disappeared in a lot of games. Really damn fast, can outrun most corners. Will be a tough cover.
      9. Michael Gallup
      • Really liked his route running, gets a ton of separation. Nice cuts/stops on his routes. Solid hands.
      10. Equanimeous St. Brown
      • On paper, he looks good. Really didn't contribute much with Notre Dame, not sure if that's their offense or he's just lazy. When he was making plays he used his speed well and had reliable hands. Looks like a project receiver.
      sigpic

Comment

I like Moore and Gallup a lot.
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Here are my running back rankings. This was tough. People weren't lying when they said this class was incredibly deep. I'm pretty much going to solely use cliches and the word explosive in my descriptions.

1. Saquon Barkley: I have nothing new to add. He's good.
          2. Sony Michel: Probably my favorite guy to watch. Nice hands, elusive, surprisingly powerful. Very well rounded back and can be a number one guy.
          3. Derrius Guice: Another well rounded back. Seems like every time he touches the ball it's a positive play.
          4. John Kelly: Almost didn't watch him, but I'm glad he did. This guy is a workhorse and one of the tougher tackles I watched. Good hands, good cuts. Just a hell of a playmaker.
          5. Kerryon Johnson: Like I said earlier, outside of his patience and initial burst nothing 'wowed' me. But that's not a bad thing. He does most things well. Meh on his speed though.
          6. Nick Chubb: Watched him against Alabama and wasn't a fan. Other games opened my eyes though. Really nice outside runner and strong in the open field. Would be a great number two guy.
          7. Ronald Jones: He's fast and smooth. Also, think he's overrated. I see some 1st round grades on him and I don't honestly see it.
          8. Rashaad Penny: I was stunned when I found out he's 220. So damn fast and agile with fantastic power. As I'm writing this I could maybe see myself moving him up to 6.
          9. Nyheim Hines: Undersized. But a perfect number two back. Good pass catcher and elusive in the open field.
          10. Mark Walton: Just another damn good playmaker. Would be a perfect number two guy. Does dance around a tad much, but I don't blame it because it works a ton for him.
          Guess I'll have to take a look at Kelly. I wouldn't be opposed to the Lions taking Sony Michel like Charlie has.

These posts are reminding me of how many interesting names, as in the literal name itself, there are. Like Sony Michel. Either that is a nickname or his parents were big fans of Japanese electronics. Then we have DJ Shark, Equanimeous St. Brown, and a WR that will have Gallup on the back of his jersey. Now all we need is a Hingle McCringleberry.
          http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

Originally posted by kirmie View Post

Guess I'll have to take a look at Kelly. I wouldn't be opposed to the Lions taking Sony Michel like Charlie has.

These posts are reminding me of how many interesting names, as in the literal name itself, there are. Like Sony Michel. Either that is a nickname or his parents were big fans of Japanese electronics. Then we have DJ Shark, Equanimeous St. Brown, and a WR that will have Gallup on the back of his jersey. Now all we need is a Hingle McCringleberry.
            Too bad Gruden isn't still in the booth. "Sony Michel, this guy I like to call PlayStation, because you put the ball in the slot and he always plays! Down X Y Banana!"

I don't have much to say about this WR group. Some decent guys, probably. Haven't looked there a whole lot.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirmie View Post

In hindsight I'd drop Kelly a bit, maybe switch him with Penny.. Daniel did have a point that he waned towards the end of the season, but I'm still a fan. It's really tough to ignore those first few games because he was an absolute monster.
              sigpic

Comment

Tight end rankings. 'Good enough' is my go-to phrase here.

1. Mark Andrews: I get it's Oklahoma and the Big 12 but I loved watching Mark Andrews. Great hands, tough tackle. Liked his athleticism for his size. Acceptable blocker (By this, I mean he's not that good but not actively hurting a team as much as others).

2. Mike Gesicki: Good hands, like his route running. Seems like every route he runs he's open. Good enough blocker.

3. Hayden Hurst: Good enough blocker. Athletic, strong. Like his athleticism.

4. Tyler Conklin: Shame he's dealing with injuries. Beautiful hands. Good pass blocker, meh on run blocking. Not as physical as I'd like out of a tight end.

5. Dalton Schultz: One of the better blockers, maybe the best. Not really a pass catcher, but was involved a bit in Stanford's offense.

6. Dallas Goedert: Moves around a lot on offense. Pretty well-rounded guy, primarily a pass catcher.

7. Ryan Izzo: A worse version of Dalton Schultz. Great blocker, meh as a receiver.

8. Troy Fumagalli: Played a big part in Wisconsin's offense. Good enough blocker, solid catcher. Can kinda get cold at times and start dropping balls.

9. Chris Herndon: Pass catcher only. Lazy on blocks, gets thrown around a lot when blocking. Really nice hands.

10. Ian Thomas: I was shocked to see this guy ranked so highly on NFL.com. Okay blocker, particularly struggles to block when lined up wide. Meh on his routes, pretty easy cover.
                sigpic

Comment

That's a nice round-up, Lenny. For us, we have to hope Jordan Reed has a relatively injury-free year (for him) and/or Vernon Davis can still cheat Father Time.

On the blocking front, that's what we drafted Jeremy Sprinkle for (5th round last year), so this is his year to step up and show he can do it.

In other words, I think the TE draft is decent this year, but we're not going to be part of it.
                  ~

Comment

The biggest issue with Hurst is that he'll be 25.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hayden Hurst is a damn good blocker, while Gesicki isn't even a "get in the way" blocker.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

I took another look at Gesiki, seeing as how my memories of PSU last year basically consist of Barkley runs (in other words, I remember most of PSU's season). He's basically a big WR. Not a blocker at all. He's gonna be a good receiver though.
                        Last edited by steelers_pens_fan; 03-25-2018, 08:41 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hmm, maybe I was wrong in Gesicki. I never got the impression that he was a fantastic blocker but at least did enough that he wouldn't be actively hurting you on run plays. I'll have to pay closer attention to him when I give a few bigger guys another look once I finish my run through of all the positions.

------------------

An update so far on EDGE Rushers/Defensive Ends:

Arden Key was pretty meh. Looked slow, doesn't look like he has great strength. Solid at seeing a play develop. Had some nice interior pressure, struggled on outside rushes. He's been really good at showing up in crucial times in games, but then that makes wonder where was this Arden Key throughout the game.

Bradley Chubb: I remember his ****ty combine stats so I ready to be edgy and say he's overrated but I was impressed. Strong as hell, nice interior rush, quick hands. Definitely worth the hype.

Marcus Davenport: Love his quickness, can just blow past tackles. Great strength too, thought he had a good motor too. Really really liked him. I feel like his game is more suited for an EDGE rusher as opposed to defensive end but it size says d-end so...

Duke Ejiofor: Needs to clean up a his game a bit but I see upside. More of a finesse kind of guy. Really smooth moves, good at keeping distance between linemen. Can get thrown around when he gets engaged. Consistently overruns ball carriers.

Harold Landry: I wasn't as amazed with him as I thought I was going to be. Pretty good at following a quarterback, doesn't get tricked often. Good speed, has experience playing standing up, guy can get pretty low on his rushes. I go back and forth on his run defense, sometimes he misses tackles he should make next play he reads a run beautifully.
                          Last edited by Lenny; 03-25-2018, 01:27 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I expect Pittsburgh to look at this position probably with a mid round pick. They are disappointed in Dupree and may not use their 5th year option on him.
                            sigpic

Comment

Harold Landry: I wasn't as amazed with him as I thought I was going to be. Pretty good at following a quarterback, doesn't get tricked often. Good speed, has experience playing standing up, guy can get pretty low on his rushes. I go back and forth on his run defense, sometimes he misses tackles he should make next play he reads a run beautifully.
                              I wasn't as impressed with Landry either when I watched some of him the other day. Though I also heard about his ankle being an issue and that his 2016 tape looked better. I'll have to look at some of his older stuff and/or figure out if he was gimped in what I was watching. Lots of Lions fans are linking him because of ties to Patricia's underlings and it being a position of need. Personally I'd rather take Davenport at the moment if the Lions were choosing between the two, but I'd still rather have a DT overall so hopefully either Payne or Vea are available and make this entire exercise moot.
                              http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

Here's some more thoughts. I won't have my rankings done until I finish my other DL then I sort through who's who. I'm gonna say the word motor like fifty times here. Also the phrase 'hard worker'

Dorrance Armstrong: Tries his absolute heart. Like him in run defense. I wasn't crazy about the rest of his game but Kansas sucks and I've heard his tape last year was better.

Chad Thomas: Like him. Moved around the line. Powerful rusher, solid pass rush. Does seem lazy, and bites on like every play fake.

Garrett Dooley: Was pretty meh. Had some experience dropping back in coverage. Missed a lot of tackles.

Hercules Mata'afa: One of the many undersized guys I like. Gonna be awkward going from a DT to 3-4 RLB but from everything I've seen his work ethic is pretty damn good so I think he could be a steal later in the draft.

Jeff Holland: Liked him. Good hand fighting keeps himself from getting engaged with linemen. Has a lot of moves in his arsenal. Outside rushes are very nice. Pretty quick, moves with the play.

Josh Sweat: Really liked his power, constantly moving his feet and driving linemen. Strong initial burst. Thought he held his own on run D.

Anthony Winbush: If I remember correctly he's undersized but quick as hell. Really jumpy and energetic on the field. Another worthwhile guy to look at in the later rounds.

Davin Bellamy: Thought he was underrated as hell. Really strong tackle, high motor, good hand fighting. Does tend to overrun plays.

Tyquan Lewis: Didn't see a ton. Drew a lot of double teams, strong tackle. Was pretty forgettable.

Kemoko Turray: Good quickness, pretty nimble, can be a tough block, good motor. Can kind of stand still at times in plays.

Leon Jacobs: Didn't see much. Seemed like he lacked awareness, ran past plays a lot. Did lay some good hits though.

Lorenzo Carter: Probably my favorite pass rusher. Just takes over some games. Strong, nice awareness, good at reading plays.

Sam Hubbard: Fits every cliche that applies to white players. All around solid, wasn't amazed.

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo: Small but this guy was all over the field. Fast, quick hands, high motor.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X