No announcement yet.

Who is Seattle taking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next week will be our first real chance to evaluate how Walter Jones is coming along.

Also keep in mind when you are mocking us a corner that we are going to be playing more cover 2 this year.
    Last edited by Cicero; 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• I'm a Seahawks fan from day 1 in 1976, and live 40 miles south of Seattle. I'm here to tell you that Tim Ruskell is a moron. He will screw up this pick as he's screwed up every 1st round pick since he's been here.

But first, let me say this. Matt Hasselbeck will be 34 years old in September (not 32 like that complete imbicile Mike May**** said on NFL.com). He has a bulging disc in his back that pressed on a nerve to his leg last year and cost him 9 games because of it, and when he was in he was barely able to stand because of it. I don't buy this "he'll be OK with that this year" spin that is being put out. That said, we will not draft Stafford because the Lions are going to take him, I guarandamntee it.

We will not draft Sanchez because Ruskell wants an "impact" player at 4th overall (yeah, like Lawrence Jackson and Kelly Jennings and Deion Branch and Chris Spencer have been "impact players"). So he will blow this pick on Eric Crabtree (an immature sophomore WR from a gimmick offense who has no experience running precise routes, which is what the WCO calls for, and has a bum foot and won't be able to practice until at least June) because he's a big name player. Never mind that we have 3 starting wide receivers in Branch, Burleson and the new $40 million man T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and the new O.C. has said publicly that the Hawks will be running few if any 3 and especially 4 WR sets now. He wants to run the ball all the time in his new zone blocking scheme. If they don't blow the pick on Crabtree, they'll blow it on Aaron Curry, an overrated workout warrior whom I suspect will be the next Mike Mamula. One of the admins on this site did an eval of Curry and said he can't play weakside linebacker in the Tampa 2, which is the defense Seattle will be playing this year. Leroy Hill is a strongside linebacker playing out of position on the weakside where he was ineffective. So we'd have two linebackers starting that are not weakside linebackers. Swell.

The team seems to be singing the Pollyanna song, that a 35 year old left tackle who has undergone microfracture surgery, which no player in my memory has ever recovered from to play effectively again, including former Seahawk Marcus Tubbs, will be good as new this season. Or else they think Sean Locklear is a 16 game starter on the left side. Yeah, right, about as likely as Brian Russell being named to the All Pro team.

What the Seahawks should do is draft whoever between Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe is there at 4, I prefer Smith if he's available, take a center (Antoine Caldwell is my choice) in the 2nd round, a weakside linebacker like Jason Williams from Western Illinois in the 3rd (except that moron Ruskell never drafts anyone from a small school), and quarterback Stephen McGee from Texas A&M in the 4th, DE Michael Bennett from Texas A&M in the 5th, and pick up a RB like Marlon Lucky in the 7th or as an undrafted free agent (the way we orginally acquired Leonard Weaver). That won't happen and what we'll probably get from Ruskell in his final year as GM is this abortion: 1st Crabtree, 2nd Duke Robinson, 3rd Michael Hamlin S Clemson, 4th Zack Follett OLB Cal, 5th Nate Davis QB Ball State in the 5th.

So what's wrong with that? Well, Crabtree comes from an offense that thinks a route is some kind of rural mail address. He'll play 3rd receiver in the 5 or 6 games that Deion Branch will miss with his annual injury, and on those plays where we're in 3rd and long and Bobby Engram used to excell, Hasselbeck will be looking for Houshmandzadeh and Carlson, his only reliable receivers, and they'll send Crabtree on a skinny post because at least he understands that one. That's if Hasselbeck isn't on the sideline or IR from all the hits from his blindside given up after Walter Jones was placed on IR after week 2 and we didn't draft his replacement. Donald Brown would get the majority of carries after he proved that he's far superior to Julius Jones, who will sit on the bench and pout and whine about not getting carries again; and when he does he'll fumble or or fail to make yards after contact, yet still get paid $2 million. Michael Hamlin is a guy the Seahawks showed an extraordinary interest in at the combine, and he's really a strong safety. We need a free safety. Frankly I think we have starter on the roster in either C.J. Wallace or Jamar Adams, and this guy would wind up replacing the aging Deon Grant after a mediocre year at free safety. Zack Follet is the perfect linebacker...as an outside rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense, not for the Seahawks. But he went to a big school and he plays outside linebacker, so Timmay! will draft him. And he'll fail miserably in a weakside role in a 4-3 Tampa 2 defense. Nate Davis has a certified learning disability, as the analysis on this site says. He won't be able to pick up even the dumbed down version of the WCO that Greg Knapp wants to install. His non-performance in Ball State's bowl game is reason enough to stay away, but it's a bigger school than Central Washington so he won't draft Mike Reilly. And the Seahawks will stagger to a 6-10 or 7-9 season. The one ray of hope in that scenario is that Tim Ruskell would probably be fired at the end of the season.

BTW, we would not take Mike Goodson, not in the 5th or any other round. This guy had "personality" issues with the previous staff of R.C. Slocum as well as the new staff of Mike Sherman. A guy Ruskell wouldn't draft and for once I agree with him.

Comment

• Holy god that was a frickin novel.

Who is Eric Crabtree? Just saying...if you're going to criticize Mike Mayock for getting Hasselbeck's age wrong by two years...

Comment

• Ok, well first of all T.J. Houshmandzadeh or whatever, played better than Chad Johnson did last year for Cincinnati. I think they will start him as their main #1 receiver. And they think that there defensive line is good enough not to draft one here. I think, since they traded Julian Peterson, they are praying Kansas City passes him. And if they do, which they won't, they'll pick him in seconds. But I think that Chris Wells is too big of a reach here, way too big. Last year, the draft was weak in receivers, this year its weak in running backs. Crabtree's stock is falling. I say Oakland at #7. Anyways, I really think Mark Sanchez is the man for them. If they're sending half of their staff to watch him, then they're really interested. I think they are happy in their OT's and WR's. But, Hasselbeck isn't gonna be around forever. I think Sanchez is the man for them, but if he is, then the rest of the draft will be real interesting especially for Denver and the Jets. And Josh Freeman's stock may rise.

Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan
          I hate you Kyle Orton, I hate your family, I hate your dog, if you have cats I hate those, I also hate any fish you have, I hate your hobbies, I hope you fail at most things you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by navyhawk51 View Post
            do you realize that the hawks' D had the ball more then the O... think about it.

I dont care if you have the best D in the NFL... when your O can't stay on the field (completing 3rd downs to move the chains), your top notch D is going to suck... flat out.

Basic common football knowledge.
            I agree with you here, but this has nothing to do with overemphasizing wide receivers at the expense of other positions. The number one priority on offense is O-line. Especially if Wally is hurt worse than we know.

Comment

• Originally posted by ptrick View Post
              Do you realize that we had the 30th rated defense in the NFL? 30th!

If Seattle wants to win now we need to upgrade that side of the ball, not overload on wideouts. Steelers, Giants. You win Super Bowls with defense.

As far as selling jerseys, I think the umpteenth consecutive sellouts show that we are selling plenty of jerseys. This is a football decision, not a marketing one.
              ok, you know why seattles defense was ranked 30th? there was a friggin injury plague in seattle! kerney went down, red bryant was injured, tatupu etc.
              well of course you win games with defense, look at our 2007-2008 defense, the squad was not as different as last year, it's just that last year everyone either performed horribly or they went down with injuries. Trufant is a good example. he had a pro-bowl season 2 years ago, but last year he didn't perform to expectations. therefore, seattle has somewhat a similar defensive squad 2 years ago, but this time without peterson. they can be that dominant defense as long as they stay healthy.
              we're not overloading on wideouts, we're making a huge upgrade. deion branch is always injured, we can't depend on nate burleson, and the rest of our WRs suck. TJ Housh is good, but he needs an opposite threat. you realize last year we had to throw to billy mcmullen, koren robinson, and keary colbert? that was because we had no WRs left and we had to sign whoever was left on the market. WR no doubt is the answer to rejuvunate the seahawks playoff hopes.
              and I didn't say it was just a marketing decision, crabtree will help BOTH the business and the team. if jerseys sold out for all the other players, think about how many crabtree jerseys will be sold? bringing in crabtree means selling more jerseys and bringing in more fans to watch this dynamic receiver show his potential.
              sigpic
              gotta love them birds

Comment

• Originally posted by LoneBikerOfTheApocalypse View Post
                I'm a Seahawks fan from day 1 in 1976, and live 40 miles south of Seattle. I'm here to tell you that Tim Ruskell is a moron. He will screw up this pick as he's screwed up every 1st round pick since he's been here.......
                Biker,

I can tell from your analysis that you are a true and knowledgeable Seahawk fan. Especially with the center pick in the 2nd round. NOBODY talks about how Spencer has been a complete washout and that our backup is a converted guard (although I love the effort that Vallos brings, he's no long term answer).

My personal opinion of the Ruskell track record is mixed. He's 0-fer the first round, but did guess right with Tatupu, Hill and Wilson. This draft is his make or break draft. No excuses this time. And our 2nd round pick is just as crucial as our first.

I'm pulling for the trade down with either Philly or Jacksonville gunning for Sanchez.

Comment

Biker,

I can tell from your analysis that you are a true and knowledgeable Seahawk fan. Especially with the center pick in the 2nd round. NOBODY talks about how Spencer has been a complete washout and that our backup is a converted guard (although I love the effort that Vallos brings, he's no long term answer).

My personal opinion of the Ruskell track record is mixed. He's 0-fer the first round, but did guess right with Tatupu, Hill and Wilson. This draft is his make or break draft. No excuses this time. And our 2nd round pick is just as crucial as our first.

I'm pulling for the trade down with either Philly or Jacksonville gunning for Sanchez.
                  Wilson? Aka the guy who is never going to be decent playing anything besides nickleback/kick returner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Draztek View Post
                    Wilson? Aka the guy who is never going to be decent playing anything besides nickleback/kick returner?
                    Think you are wrong there. For me, Wilson was one of the few bright spots on D last year. He really came a long way last year, and I predict you will see him push Jennings for a starting position. Especially with the shift in defensive philosophy to playing the ball, not the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by MesaBlanca View Post
                      ok, you know why seattles defense was ranked 30th? there was a friggin injury plague in seattle! kerney went down, red bryant was injured, tatupu etc.
                      well of course you win games with defense, look at our 2007-2008 defense, the squad was not as different as last year, it's just that last year everyone either performed horribly or they went down with injuries. Trufant is a good example. he had a pro-bowl season 2 years ago, but last year he didn't perform to expectations. therefore, seattle has somewhat a similar defensive squad 2 years ago, but this time without peterson. they can be that dominant defense as long as they stay healthy.
                      we're not overloading on wideouts, we're making a huge upgrade. deion branch is always injured, we can't depend on nate burleson, and the rest of our WRs suck. TJ Housh is good, but he needs an opposite threat. you realize last year we had to throw to billy mcmullen, koren robinson, and keary colbert? that was because we had no WRs left and we had to sign whoever was left on the market. WR no doubt is the answer to rejuvunate the seahawks playoff hopes.
                      and I didn't say it was just a marketing decision, crabtree will help BOTH the business and the team. if jerseys sold out for all the other players, think about how many crabtree jerseys will be sold? bringing in crabtree means selling more jerseys and bringing in more fans to watch this dynamic receiver show his potential.
                      I agree that the injury bug decimated us teamwide last year, but the Defense stunk out of the gate before Tatupu and Kerney went down. Yes, I know lofa was probably hurt from day 1, but there was some serious underperforming in addition to injuries, and the systemic problems on defense were exposed for the whole world to see in the playoff game at Green Bay the year before. Gain a half second on the snap count because of our home field advantage has hidden our underlying defensive weaknesses, over pursuit and lack of size up front.

We were good in 2005 because we had Tubbs clogging the middle and freeing our LBs to make tackles. That is what we need. Will Cole and Mebane be the answer? Hard to say. (Redding is playing end primarily except for 3rd downs.)

Ask any Seahawk fan who is really paying attention and they will tell you nothing has been the same since we let Hutch go. Walter and Hutch on the left side is what made Shawn Alexander go, and gave Hass the time to find his receivers. Everything falls apart on offense unless the O-Line holds up.

I don't care how great Crabtree is. He ain't gonna do us any good when Matt is Flatonhisback.

And trust me, Seattle fans are smart enough to buy plenty of Monroe or Smith jerseys if they are the pick. The jersey argument is just silly. There is a case for Crabtree, but that ain't it. Not in Seattle.

Comment

Think you are wrong there. For me, Wilson was one of the few bright spots on D last year. He really came a long way last year, and I predict you will see him push Jennings for a starting position. Especially with the shift in defensive philosophy to playing the ball, not the receiver.
                        Well it's not hard to push Jennings for a starting spot because he sucks too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Draztek View Post
                          Well it's not hard to push Jennings for a starting spot because he sucks too.
                          Sad but true. The bar ain't high.

Comment

• Originally posted by navyhawk51 View Post
                            it was interesting to read that scoutinc had stafford going to the hawks... at first i was like WTF MATE!! but then the more i thought about it the more i liked it.... that is if he's available. Nothing frustrates me more then seeing a top notch QB drafted high, just to be thrown into the lions den (no pun intended) and fail. Very very few survive. I believe Payton is the latest one to survive. What better way for Stafford to learn the WCO then to sit behind Matt and learn the game from the sideline and fill in if needed. I know we have Wallace but lets face it... he's not the future.

That said, i dont think the hawks will pick crabtree even though i'd love to have him on my team. Wether your a hawk fan or not, you have to realise... it IS a new regime which will focus more on the run game and not the passing game. In Atlanta, Jimbo jr had unproven WR's and a stout running game which did include a solid Oline. Where am i going with this? OT. Eugene Monroe.

Look to see Jimbo Jr to beef up that front line (now and for the future) for the run game. I'm willing to bet (and believe) that there's no way on earth or hell that the hawks go through what they did last season, which was 9 different WR's starting... all before the 6th game of the season. I'm willing to bet the front office is thinking that wont ever happen again. I'm willing to bet that the FO believes in their WR's that we have now to be "good enough" to make the game plan balanced enough to open up the run. Thus we wont be taking crabtree (even though i believe he is a God of a WR :P).

There are pleanty of top 10 WR's to be had in the 2nd and even 3rd round. I myself am eyeing Brandon Gibson but that's a whole different story all together.
                            OUT.
                            Rotoworld-
                            Eugene Monroe - T Apr. 7 - 1:11 pm et

The Seahawks have both Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith "rated very highly," according to the National Football Post.

It sounds like NFP insider Mike Lombardi fully expects Seattle to draft a tackle if one of the above are there at No. 4. If they're both gone, Lombardi anticipates GM Tim Ruskell taking the next best player on his value board.

Like i said, Eugene Monroe.

Comment

• Not going to be Eugene Monroe if the Rams take him.
                              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                                Not going to be Eugene Monroe if the Rams take him.
                                obviously.
                                i wonder what would happen if jason smith fell to seattle? would seattle's interest change? i think that if smith fell to them, the interest would not be there. i think seattle is leaning towards monroe
                                sigpic
                                gotta love them birds

Comment

Working...
                                X