No announcement yet.

Who is Seattle taking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to get rid of our first, but I'm just saying the 4th pick is a weird spot to be in, after watching Locklear fill in for Jones this past season at LT, I believe that a top 3 LT isn't necessary. I also think that Crabtree has a lot of upside, yet is too high risk for the 4th, (Keep in mind I'm probably overly conservative on WR's since the Koren Robinson fiasco...) The rest of the top 10 is filled out by D-line which I believe was bolstered adequately by the Peterson trade, even though DE is looking a little long in the tooth, The jury's still out on Lawrence Jackson, who will hopefully be able to come in after Kerney's done (after this season? he keeps getting broken...)

But like the consensus agrees, I still think It'll be Crabtree, and he'll set the tone on whether or not the Hawks can stay relevant in the NFC West (Although that's a pretty simple task right now...)

Never forget... http://walterfootball.com/forum/show...6&postcount=56

Comment

Seattle seems to have picked the wrong year to be #4. They have reached before to meet a need but, man, there is a limit on reaching. There are no DBs or RB that even come close to top 10. Thing is they set up the way the rest of the top 10 or 12 falls.

We need to get this rookie pay thing fixed. In a perfect world they would probably be better off trading with Philadelphia and grabbing decent DB and RB who could help them instead of getting a better player at a position they already have covered.

Comment

I'm with Matt.

I think their first preference at the #4 is LT. Jones isn't the only "old guy" on that line. And just because Ruskell says he doesn't like drafting O-line guys high doesn't mean he won't hold his nose and do so anyway.

However, if they really don't like/value the OTs left available at that point - I personally think it's a possibility that DET, STL and KC all go OT - then, yeah, Crabtree because he would be the BPA that fits their next highest priorities.

Comment

I know its already been addressed, but even though there is very little chance of trading back are there any other potential suiters for the move besides Philadelphia? Because if not then it def isnt a scenario because Andy Reid is as conservative as they come. Plus the RB and OL value is still very high at those picks for Phila. I just can't see them trading up.

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
            I'm with Matt.

I think their first preference at the #4 is LT. Jones isn't the only "old guy" on that line. And just because Ruskell says he doesn't like drafting O-line guys high doesn't mean he won't hold his nose and do so anyway.

However, if they really don't like/value the OTs left available at that point - I personally think it's a possibility that DET, STL and KC all go OT - then, yeah, Crabtree because he would be the BPA that fits their next highest priorities.
            No way KC goes left tackle at 3 because they are essentially drafting a guard.

The pick is Curry and I think it is a near lock.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Best LT on their board at #4

Comment

Originally posted by InjuredReserve View Post
                I know its already been addressed, but even though there is very little chance of trading back are there any other potential suiters for the move besides Philadelphia? Because if not then it def isnt a scenario because Andy Reid is as conservative as they come. Plus the RB and OL value is still very high at those picks for Phila. I just can't see them trading up.
                To trade up to fourth it would cost the Eagles both their firsts and their second and I don't see that happening.

Comment

Crabtree

They will select Crabtree. First, they can grab a LT later. SEcond, who knows who good Houshmanzadeh will be in the NFC. Third, it is hard to pass up talent like Crabtree. Last, all of their other receivers are junk

Comment

Some thoughts:

OT - Oline is a strong possibility here. This is not only a need but I think few are actually accounting for the fact that Coach Mora is bringing in a new zone blocking system. Zone blocking systems focus less on size than agility and athleticism. Which means the older OL (Jones & Co.) is not as valuable because no matter who is there, they will still have to learn a new system. Sure, the Hawks have a lot of money in their Oline but adding a young quality player lets them cut less productive and overpaid guys. Moreover, the Hawks have had zero running game since Hutchinson left Seattle and it has only decreased with Jones aging. Notably, both Jones and Hutchinson were 1st round draft picks - Jones at #6.

DT - Raji is a strong possibility here. It can't simply be said that "They have Redding" and walk away from this one. Redding was fantastic as a slimmed down DE prior to beefing up to fill in at DT in DET. Seattle has asked Redding to slim down - who asks a DT they want to run stop to slim down? No one. He's going to DE because Jackson has been disappointing and then he'll rotating to DT in certain situations. Thus, Cole is the only acquisition that they have done at DT and it still is a glaring need. Not only is it a need, but DT improves the LB core, an area that just became weaker. Thus, they still need a big run stuff dominating guy. With Raji, Cole, Redding, Tapp, and a still strong LB core (Keep your eye out for David Hawthorne as their OLB sack machine; he flashed dominating potential last year, but how do you sit Peterson, Tatupu or Hill?), the Hawks will dominate the line of scrimmage like a Super Bowl caliber team needs to. This is where they are going, I think.

RB - I don't think the Hawks are looking RB unless one falls to them. Jones, while not spectacular, is a perfect back for a zone block scheme. One step and run downhill to the hole is his style in a nutshell. If it really was a concern, the Hawks would have cut Jones and retained Morris. But, Morris' style involved quick moves which detract from a zone blocking scheme and he became expendable. Moreover, Justin Forsett is a fast playmaker that is waiting for an opportunity to explode on the field.

WR - Couple of things to note here. 1) Housh is not a #1 receiver. Housh is a replacement for Engram - a long time, solid possession receiver. Housh and Engram are reliable route runners who are exactly where they are supposed to be when they are supposed and who don't drop the ball. This is the type of receiver the Hawks and Hasselbeck love and this is where Housh makes his living. 2) That said, I'm not buying Crabtree as a lock. Sure, the Hawks spent a high pick on Koren Robinson in 2001, but that wasn't Ruskell who came on board in 2005. Moreover, does everyone forget how that turned out? Robinson never reached his potential. Heck, they're STILL trying to figure out how to make him work. 3) The Hawks have had success in finding solid receivers in later rounds. Hackett played well but they made the mistake of letting him go. The young WRs who played last year all, unexpectedly, got experience and a number played well until they were injured. Last year's WR problem was injuries, not quality. 4) The real strong argument for Crabtree is that the Hawks could easily put him into the line up and then cut other expensive WRs like Dion Branch or Nate Burleson. But given what a #4 will get, it can easily be a wash.

QB - Stafford would be the only question mark if the top 2 OTs fly off the board. I've seen stuff saying the Hawks like Sanchez, but there's no way they pay #4 for him. In the end, Coach Mora wants to bring a Super Bowl victory to Seattle now, not in 3 years. Defense wins Super Bowls and DT will win out over a QB. The only way this changes is if Ruskell vetoes Mora with Stafford on the board.

Comment

Nice post, Dudeface. I agree that the Seahawks are trying to win now. I wouldn't compare Michael Crabtree to Koren Robinson though; Robinson had mental problems.
                      2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

aaron curry---its so obvious
                        WE MISS YOU BRONCO CON.....Date of post...Sept 2008- Jan 2010...R.I.P....your in a better forum now

Comment

Agreed. Crabtree and Robinson comparisons aren't determinative nor carry too much weight. However, it does point to two factors - one, that draft picks truly are unknown quantities both on and off the field, and, two, the Hawks front office hasn't had a positive experience with an injured first round WR. In the end, I think you're probably right to account that Crabtree is more of a known off field quantity since he's been in the national spotlight with pressure, making him more battle hardened under the limelight.

However, there are 2 other WR points to consider.

1) After all the injuries at WR, would Seattle want to spend #4 money on yet another injured WR? This one I have a tough time getting past. Sure, they had so many injuries at receiver and it is a need. But do you solve the problem by getting another injured WR? That has to weigh on your mind when you talk about #4 money and wanting to win now - probably more than any other team.

2) Does the "WRs best years are their third year" rule become a factor when you talk about winning now? For Mora who's focused on now, I'd say so. For Ruskell, I think he's going to be focused on BPA but it may factor in.

However, with allll that said, Crabtree's value can't be discounted and he requires consideration here. I just think the Hawks front office's WR off-field and injured player fiascos don't help Crabtree at #4. If Crabtree didn't have the injury, then I'd feel comfortable with him as a #4.

Comment

Even if Aaron Curry fell to this spot - which he won't - the Seahawks more than any other team in the top 10 have no need for another LB for $50 million. If they took him, they'd be looking to deal an LB to another team to upgrade elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                              Nice post, Dudeface. I agree that the Seahawks are trying to win now. I wouldn't compare Michael Crabtree to Koren Robinson though; Robinson had mental problems.
                              Never said Crabtree was Robinson...just that there are similarities between what happened in 2001 and what could happen in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeface View Post

DT - Raji is a strong possibility here. It can't simply be said that "They have Redding" and walk away from this one. Redding was fantastic as a slimmed down DE prior to beefing up to fill in at DT in DET. Seattle has asked Redding to slim down - who asks a DT they want to run stop to slim down? No one. He's going to DE because Jackson has been disappointing and then he'll rotating to DT in certain situations. Thus, Cole is the only acquisition that they have done at DT and it still is a glaring need. Not only is it a need, but DT improves the LB core, an area that just became weaker. Thus, they still need a big run stuff dominating guy. With Raji, Cole, Redding, Tapp, and a still strong LB core (Keep your eye out for David Hawthorne as their OLB sack machine; he flashed dominating potential last year, but how do you sit Peterson, Tatupu or Hill?), the Hawks will dominate the line of scrimmage like a Super Bowl caliber team needs to. This is where they are going, I think..
                                Brandon Mebane is a very good player and they like him as a starter. Redding makes $12.6 million over the next 3 years.

So you are dead wrong about the Seahawks going with Raji. Redding is an extremely good 3 technique and Mebane is a solid starter.

No need at DT. The pick will be left tackle or Crabtree.

Comment

Working...
                                X