Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EllijayFalconFan's Fishing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EllijayFalconFan's Fishing Thread

    Today was a great day to be out on the water. The sky was mostly clear with a few fluffy clouds set to a beautiful blue backdrop. It was an unseasonably warm day, around 57 degrees with little to no wind. Definitely the best day of fishing that February has given me so far.

    I started my day on the Toccoa River tailwater. FYI a tailwater is the part of the river below a lake normally held by a dam. The Toccoa tailwater is known for it's large Rainbow and Brown trout, which was my target species. I started with a chartreuse trout magnet dragging it along the bottom trying to mimic a natural drift. On about the 2nd cast I felt the definite thud of a trout hammering my passing jig. This guy absolutely shot off like a rocket as soon as I set the hook. He definitely wasn't happy about being caught. The picture doesn't do the size justice, this was a thick 17" fish.



    I got another small fish before I left the tailwater and went to the headwater. The headwater of a river is the part north of a lake that runs into it. The water was crystal clear and extremely cold. It was beautiful scenery to say the least.

    A river to my left....

    A river to my right...


    And heaven in between..



    These guy weren't the largest Rainbows but they were great fighters. They jumped like they were torpedoes in the water, soooo much fun to catch these guys.



    After a day on the water I landed probably 18 rainbow trout and got to enjoy some of the beautiful nature that north Georgia has to offer. I love sharing this hobby with people and I hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading my captions. If anyone else shares in this amazing past time feel free to share!



    All fish were catch and release.
    Last edited by EllijayFalconsFan; 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM.

  • #2
    I feel more relaxed just reading this thread

    Comment


    • #3
      I wish I fished more. It's great. I love fly fishing. Got to do a lot in Montana a few years ago. Absolutely beautiful.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hunterm View Post
        I wish I fished more. It's great. I love fly fishing. Got to do a lot in Montana a few years ago. Absolutely beautiful.
        Montana is a perfect mix of no people and lots of fish. When I die I hope I get to skip heaven and land in Montana.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
          Montana is a perfect mix of no people and lots of fish. When I die I hope I get to skip heaven and land in Montana.
          Or you could just go to Montana.

          I'd want to try and catch fish with a spear, like in survival mode.

          Also your trip sounded like lots of fun. Those scenery pictures were very nice.
          http://bloochat.com/walterfootball <------------- WF.CHAT HERE

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
            Or you could just go to Montana.

            I'd want to try and catch fish with a spear, like in survival mode.

            Also your trip sounded like lots of fun. Those scenery pictures were very nice.
            Ya know people actually go spear fishing with a speargun. Something I've always wanted to try but I would need to get my SCUBA certification first. It's very hard to spear a fish in like a survival type of manner. You have to aim under where you would see the fish I believe, but I'm not sure.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
              Ya know people actually go spear fishing with a speargun. Something I've always wanted to try but I would need to get my SCUBA certification first. It's very hard to spear a fish in like a survival type of manner. You have to aim under where you would see the fish I believe, but I'm not sure.
              It's either over or under. I figure you'd get the hang of it after a while. Also it has to be somewhere remote where the fish have probably never seen a human. And you gotta feed them stuff so they crowd around you.
              http://bloochat.com/walterfootball <------------- WF.CHAT HERE

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
                It's either over or under. I figure you'd get the hang of it after a while. Also it has to be somewhere remote where the fish have probably never seen a human. And you gotta feed them stuff so they crowd around you.
                From my experience trout fishing, if your hunting wild fish that haven't been stocked they will run like hell at the site of a bipedal animal. I bet you could spear carp, they're the retards of the fish world. I don't know what you would do with them though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hunterm View Post
                  I wish I fished more. It's great. I love fly fishing. Got to do a lot in Montana a few years ago. Absolutely beautiful.
                  this except I did it in another state

                  Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                  From my experience trout fishing, if your hunting wild fish that haven't been stocked they will run like hell at the site of a bipedal animal. I bet you could spear carp, they're the retards of the fish world. I don't know what you would do with them though.
                  yeah but carp is nasty



                  I've always loved fish though. Eating them, fishing them, taking care of them... I'm just a fish kinda guy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by vikingsteve26 View Post
                    this except I did it in another state



                    yeah but carp is nasty



                    I've always loved fish though. Eating them, fishing them, taking care of them... I'm just a fish kinda guy
                    Carp are very gross. There was an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives where the place actually served fried carp. I was all like grrroooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssss!

                    I'm assuming you have an aquarium. What do you keep?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                      Carp are very gross. There was an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives where the place actually served fried carp. I was all like grrroooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssss!

                      I'm assuming you have an aquarium. What do you keep?
                      Used to have an aquarium. We had all kinds... iridescent sharks, tiger barbs, algae eaters (I used to know the name, it's like placostamus or something), guppies, even those tiny hammerhead shark looking fish. Was a HUGE tank too. like 6 foot long by 4 feet tall by 3 feet wide



                      but yeah carp are ****in nasty, they pretty much are garbage eating fish. not too discriminate on what they will eat

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                        Ya know people actually go spear fishing with a speargun. Something I've always wanted to try but I would need to get my SCUBA certification first. It's very hard to spear a fish in like a survival type of manner. You have to aim under where you would see the fish I believe, but I'm not sure.
                        Great thread EFF. Just want to take a deep breathe and smell the forest. Never had much luck freshwater fishing. I love ocean fishing though. I went on a 2-day tuna fishing trip off the coast of Baja a few years back. Nothing really relaxing about it, more of a release. Pure testoterone filled weekend of tuna boils, crown royal and beers, cigars, etc.

                        I was SCUBA certified for a couple of years. Only went once in the Caymans. Pretty amazing experience. Did not try the spearfishing thing, but would like to if the opportunity comes up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DoubleDown View Post
                          Great thread EFF. Just want to take a deep breathe and smell the forest. Never had much luck freshwater fishing. I love ocean fishing though. I went on a 2-day tuna fishing trip off the coast of Baja a few years back. Nothing really relaxing about it, more of a release. Pure testoterone filled weekend of tuna boils, crown royal and beers, cigars, etc.

                          I was SCUBA certified for a couple of years. Only went once in the Caymans. Pretty amazing experience. Did not try the spearfishing thing, but would like to if the opportunity comes up.
                          I LOVE saltwater fishing. Sadly I never get to do it very much, but when I do go I travel down to the Gulf of Mexico. We used to go on a 12 hour deep sea fishing trip every year. We would bottom fish for Grouper and Snapper or troll for Dolphin and Wahoo. I always loved it. I even have a triggerfish as a pet because I enjoyed feeding them while bottom fishing so much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I just learned that I'm getting a day off tomorrow so I'll be out fishing again. I will be sure to post some new pictures and add some more narrative!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                              I just learned that I'm getting a day off tomorrow so I'll be out fishing again. I will be sure to post some new pictures and add some more narrative!
                              hope you catch a biggun

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X