Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Goddamn, I am out of shape. 1 mile run just kicked my ass.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
      So I squatted with the thing where the barbell is attached to like a railing thing (someone was hogging the squat rack), and it killed my knees and back
      Thats the smith machine, I wouldn't use it for any of the compound exercises as it doesn't give free range of motion
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
      I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Marlin5124 View Post
        How much should you start lifting at if you've never lifted before?
        Starting Strength program. Google it.
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




        Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

        Comment


        • Anyone heard of the 8-16 diet? It's where you eat all your calories for the day in 8 hours and fast the rest. It sounds counter to everything else I know about proper diet.

          Comment


          • DO you guys know good body weight workouts?

            I am without a gym for a little bit and need to do something

            It's unleash the dragon time yall

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BroncosCon View Post
              Anyone heard of the 8-16 diet? It's where you eat all your calories for the day in 8 hours and fast the rest. It sounds counter to everything else I know about proper diet.
              Considering the site behind it looks like your standard pseudo-science garbage where they don't link to any scientific studies and just have testimonials, it sounds like crap. It sounds like they brainstormed some ideas, but completely forgot or neglected to look up how this diet would affect the body. One of the big things they are overlooking is how the body likes to maintain homeostasis. Diets like this work at first, until the body figures out what you're doing and then starts storing excess fat and nutrients to make up for the fasting times that you set. It's sort of like many lose weight fast scams. One of the primary things you find in massively obese people is that they don't drink enough water, so they retain tons of water. If you force them to drink tons of water a day, the body stops storing the excess and sheds all the water weight. That's where you find many testimonials of people who lost 40-50 lbs in a month.

              Speaking of, it's simply not healthy to lose that much weight that fast unless you're coming from an extreme starting point. Usually, you don't want to lose much more than a pound a week. That doesn't seem like much, but that adds up to around 60 lbs a year.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                DO you guys know good body weight workouts?

                I am without a gym for a little bit and need to do something
                Squats, heel raises (standing normal to on your toes), plank, hundreds, pushups, etc. If you think something is not challenging enough, change the speed of it. For instance, if you think pushups are too easy and you can knock out 100 like it's nothing, modify the exercise. Start as a normal pushup, go down very slowly until your chest is 1 inch from the ground. Hold yourself there for 2 seconds. Now explode upward with enough force to try to get your hands off the ground with your elbows extended. If you can do 100 of those, I'll be impressed. The technique applies to just about any exercise. Use slow speed for the eccentric contraction (eccentric contraction is when the muscle is working, but lengthening at the same time. An example would be holding a dumbbell in front of your shoulder and slowly extending your arm straight down, like a reverse curl), hold the exercise at the toughest point, then use as much explosive power as possible for the concentric contraction (muscle is working and shortening. Your biceps during a curl, quads when coming up from a squat, etc.). Change squats into jumping squats. Clapping pushups instead of regular. Heel raises into jumping with just your calves. Get creative.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                  DO you guys know good body weight workouts?

                  I am without a gym for a little bit and need to do something
                  Swimming is one of the best workouts you can do.....oh wait.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                    Considering the site behind it looks like your standard pseudo-science garbage where they don't link to any scientific studies and just have testimonials, it sounds like crap. It sounds like they brainstormed some ideas, but completely forgot or neglected to look up how this diet would affect the body. One of the big things they are overlooking is how the body likes to maintain homeostasis. Diets like this work at first, until the body figures out what you're doing and then starts storing excess fat and nutrients to make up for the fasting times that you set. It's sort of like many lose weight fast scams. One of the primary things you find in massively obese people is that they don't drink enough water, so they retain tons of water. If you force them to drink tons of water a day, the body stops storing the excess and sheds all the water weight. That's where you find many testimonials of people who lost 40-50 lbs in a month.

                    Speaking of, it's simply not healthy to lose that much weight that fast unless you're coming from an extreme starting point. Usually, you don't want to lose much more than a pound a week. That doesn't seem like much, but that adds up to around 60 lbs a year.
                    Hugh Jackman did it for prep of his latest movie to cut...

                    I'm with you about the lack of real science.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BroncosCon View Post
                      Hugh Jackman did it for prep of his latest movie to cut...

                      I'm with you about the lack of real science.
                      I'm sure it works great as an initial cut, but I doubt it works very well after the first couple of months. I would also imagine that as soon as you go back to a regular diet, you balloon up instantly as your body tries to store up the extra caloric intake.

                      Comment


                      • In theory, if you took all of those stupid fad diets (such as this) that works great for about a month and rotated them so your body could never adjust, wouldn't you be able to constantly see losses?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                          Squats, heel raises (standing normal to on your toes), plank, hundreds, pushups, etc. If you think something is not challenging enough, change the speed of it. For instance, if you think pushups are too easy and you can knock out 100 like it's nothing, modify the exercise. Start as a normal pushup, go down very slowly until your chest is 1 inch from the ground. Hold yourself there for 2 seconds. Now explode upward with enough force to try to get your hands off the ground with your elbows extended. If you can do 100 of those, I'll be impressed. The technique applies to just about any exercise. Use slow speed for the eccentric contraction (eccentric contraction is when the muscle is working, but lengthening at the same time. An example would be holding a dumbbell in front of your shoulder and slowly extending your arm straight down, like a reverse curl), hold the exercise at the toughest point, then use as much explosive power as possible for the concentric contraction (muscle is working and shortening. Your biceps during a curl, quads when coming up from a squat, etc.). Change squats into jumping squats. Clapping pushups instead of regular. Heel raises into jumping with just your calves. Get creative.
                          It was aight. I did like 4 sets of 25 of the pushups. They were a little hard but I'd obviously still prefer a bench :P

                          It's unleash the dragon time yall

                          Comment


                          • Signed up for a gym today for the first time.

                            I've never worked out outside of school before, so I have no idea how things work :O

                            Like, where do I do bar rows? At school, I just took it off the bench and did it off in the side

                            It's unleash the dragon time yall

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                              Signed up for a gym today for the first time.

                              I've never worked out outside of school before, so I have no idea how things work :O

                              Like, where do I do bar rows? At school, I just took it off the bench and did it off in the side

                              Find one of the big guys at the gym - there's sure to be lots of them. Do what they do.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lukic View Post
                                The first time, a low enough weight where you can comfortably do sets in proper form and make sure you can feel the muscle being worked out, even if a little bit. After that at the highest weight you can complete a desired number of reps at in each set with proper form.
                                Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                                Swag may argue with me on this, but it may benefit you to work with a trainer for your first couple times, or, better yet, an experienced lifter buddy who will do it without profit motive. It's extremely important to have good form, so having someone coach you on how to lift is important to make sure you're not going to injure yourself, and also make sure you are working the muscles you want to work (I see guys all the time at the gym attempting to curl way too much weight and using their back extensors, deltoids, traps, and other muscles to heave their arm forward to give it the momentum to complete the exercise). The catch to trainers is they make their money by making you depend on them, so they tend to recommend exercises that require a spotter or some other way of making you want to use them. There are some great trainers out there who will actually give you a workout plan that you can stick to independently, but they're few and far between.
                                Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
                                Starting Strength program. Google it.
                                Yeah they signed me up for a personal trainer for my first week just to show me the ropes. He's kicking my ass so far so I guess he's doing his job.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X