Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wouldn't you want us to hurt our backs so we would have to see you at a later date?
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




    Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

    Comment


    • I find that with most cable exercises and shoulder exercises in-general that good form with low weight and a decent number of reps (like 8+) is much more beneficial than high weight with low reps (like 3-5)... There are some exceptions to this (like shrugs, high weight with good form is good too), but the shoulder rotation Alastair posted is spot on - and definitely do not go to failure on it. I am a huge advocate for training to failure, but that isn't one you want to go to failure on.

      I feel like I need to go back to my chiropractor, I can crack my back just by standing up or by bending it at all - which I know is really bad...lol
      Originally posted by Daniel
      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

      That's how you sound.
      lmao

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
        Wouldn't you want us to hurt our backs so we would have to see you at a later date?
        Absolutely not. In my field, I would much rather work on an athlete that tore their ACL than a couch potato who has lower back pain and thinks any sensation of lactic acid is a bad sign and they should stop exercising immediately.

        Comment


        • That wasn't really a serious question, but one is -

          Is it a good, bad, or indifferent thing to throughout the day to sit up in my car and stretch and crack my lower back and shoulders? I feel it might help my posture. I've been doing it for a while. I mean my slight shoulder curve (about 9 degrees) hasn't really changed in years, so I'm happy.
          WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




          Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
          Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
            That wasn't really a serious question, but one is -

            Is it a good, bad, or indifferent thing to throughout the day to sit up in my car and stretch and crack my lower back and shoulders? I feel it might help my posture. I've been doing it for a while. I mean my slight shoulder curve (about 9 degrees) hasn't really changed in years, so I'm happy.
            If you have to drive a lot, or really anyone who has to sit a ton, should try to move around regularly. One important postural thing to keep in mind while sitting (particularly while driving) is pelvic tilt. It was tough to find pics of what I'm talking about, but these get it across well:


            The guy on the left is what I'm talking about as far as the pelvis and hips are concerned. It's a really common seated position for a lot of people. This skeletal image shows it well as far as what's happening to your bones:



            One of the things I recommend to patients who have trouble not sitting like this is to take another rolled up towel (it can be the same one you use for your rotator cuff exercises) and place it between you and the seat. Line it up with the top of your tailbone (about half an inch above your crack), so it puts pressure there. Also, if you keep your wallet, or anything else bulky in your back pocket, take it out of your pocket before you sit down. Letting one side of your pelvis be higher than the other for any significant amount of time can do horrors to your spine.

            I'm still not following on your shoulder. You mentioned a 9 degree curve, but I'm not sure where this curve is or what part of the shoulder you're referring to.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
              If you have to drive a lot, or really anyone who has to sit a ton, should try to move around regularly. One important postural thing to keep in mind while sitting (particularly while driving) is pelvic tilt. It was tough to find pics of what I'm talking about, but these get it across well:


              The guy on the left is what I'm talking about as far as the pelvis and hips are concerned. It's a really common seated position for a lot of people. This skeletal image shows it well as far as what's happening to your bones:



              One of the things I recommend to patients who have trouble not sitting like this is to take another rolled up towel (it can be the same one you use for your rotator cuff exercises) and place it between you and the seat. Line it up with the top of your tailbone (about half an inch above your crack), so it puts pressure there. Also, if you keep your wallet, or anything else bulky in your back pocket, take it out of your pocket before you sit down. Letting one side of your pelvis be higher than the other for any significant amount of time can do horrors to your spine.

              I'm still not following on your shoulder. You mentioned a 9 degree curve, but I'm not sure where this curve is or what part of the shoulder you're referring to.
              Well my shoulders aren't even apparently, one is slightly higher than the other, but the 9 degree curve is actually my spine. I suffer from minor scoliosis.
              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




              Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

              Comment


              • Yeah, that guy on the left is me

                It's unleash the dragon time yall

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
                  Well my shoulders aren't even apparently, one is slightly higher than the other, but the 9 degree curve is actually my spine. I suffer from minor scoliosis.
                  Gotcha. I've got a touch of scoliosis as well. 9 degrees seems like a pretty decent amount, but if it's not getting worse and it's not causing you issues, it should be ok.

                  Yeah, that guy on the left is me
                  Fix thyself.

                  Comment


                  • Alright Alastair, you have me paranoid about my posture.

                    I am going to start doing exercises for it and I am going back to my chiropractor for weekly appointments every Wednesday lol
                    Originally posted by Daniel
                    Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

                    That's how you sound.
                    lmao

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                      Gotcha. I've got a touch of scoliosis as well. 9 degrees seems like a pretty decent amount, but if it's not getting worse and it's not causing you issues, it should be ok.



                      Fix thyself.
                      I mean I haven't been to a back doctor since I was 16, but I remember being told that under 10 degrees was minor. And mine hasn't changed in years, plus I have good posture. So I'm happy
                      WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




                      Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                      Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                        Alright Alastair, you have me paranoid about my posture.

                        I am going to start doing exercises for it and I am going back to my chiropractor for weekly appointments every Wednesday lol
                        As someone from the physical therapy field, I'm not wild about chiropractors, as they work towards one time fixes that require continuous appointments, sort of like having a flat tire and weekly filling it with that fix-a-flat slime. PTs try to get to the underlying problem and prevent it from happening again, sort of like replacing the tire. Not trying to knock chiropractors too hard. An awesome chiropractor can work miracles, a bad chiropractor can send someone to physical therapy for life. Particularly when the back is the involved area.

                        One final thing to yell about posture is to not overdo it. Sometimes you'll see guys trying to get that "military posture" and they stick out their chest and butt too far. That can be just as negative. What I tell patients is to try to make yourself as tall as possible. Try to push your head as close to the ceiling as it will go. Then keep your back in that spot and relax your neck. This should set you in a good stance. If you have good muscle awareness, you'll want to be co-contracting your abs and back at the same time when in this position.

                        Comment


                        • Random:

                          Starting next week, I am changing my workouts to look like this:

                          Monday:

                          5:15AM, 45 minutes of Cardio

                          5:00PM, Back workout.

                          Tuesday:

                          5:15AM, 45 minutes of Cardio.

                          8:00PM, Chest workout.

                          Wednesday:

                          5:15AM, 45 minutes of Cardio; followed by light Abs workout.

                          5:00PM, Yoga and Abdominal workout.

                          Thursday:

                          5:15AM, 45 minutes of Cardio.

                          8:00PM, Legs workout.

                          Friday:

                          5:15AM, 45 minutes of Cardio

                          5:00PM, Shoulders & Arms workout.

                          Saturday:

                          11:00AM, 45 minutes of Cardio; followed by Abdominal workout.

                          Sunday:

                          2:00PM 30 minutes of Cardio.
                          ^^ This is going to blow, but I need more cardio.
                          Originally posted by Daniel
                          Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

                          That's how you sound.
                          lmao

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                            Gotcha. I've got a touch of scoliosis as well. 9 degrees seems like a pretty decent amount, but if it's not getting worse and it's not causing you issues, it should be ok.



                            Fix thyself.
                            Yes sir. Doing that towel thing right now

                            It's unleash the dragon time yall

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                              As someone from the physical therapy field, I'm not wild about chiropractors, as they work towards one time fixes that require continuous appointments, sort of like having a flat tire and weekly filling it with that fix-a-flat slime. PTs try to get to the underlying problem and prevent it from happening again, sort of like replacing the tire. Not trying to knock chiropractors too hard. An awesome chiropractor can work miracles, a bad chiropractor can send someone to physical therapy for life. Particularly when the back is the involved area.

                              One final thing to yell about posture is to not overdo it. Sometimes you'll see guys trying to get that "military posture" and they stick out their chest and butt too far. That can be just as negative. What I tell patients is to try to make yourself as tall as possible. Try to push your head as close to the ceiling as it will go. Then keep your back in that spot and relax your neck. This should set you in a good stance. If you have good muscle awareness, you'll want to be co-contracting your abs and back at the same time when in this position.
                              Will this actually improve posture?

                              And I get what you mean about chiropractors, but the guy I had was one of those miracle workers you referenced - when I was really overweight several years ago, I couldn't workout because of neck/back pain and after a few months of appointments, the pain was completely gone... Now here I am a few years later, pain still gone, but dealing with my back cracking and whatnot for no apparent reason, so I figure I should go back - could a PT do anything for that?
                              Originally posted by Daniel
                              Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

                              That's how you sound.
                              lmao

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                                Will this actually improve posture?

                                And I get what you mean about chiropractors, but the guy I had was one of those miracle workers you referenced - when I was really overweight several years ago, I couldn't workout because of neck/back pain and after a few months of appointments, the pain was completely gone... Now here I am a few years later, pain still gone, but dealing with my back cracking and whatnot for no apparent reason, so I figure I should go back - could a PT do anything for that?
                                PTs generally ignore cracking and popping unless it is painful and/or it always happens in exactly the same place (e.g. you straighten your knee and when you pass from 10 degrees to 9, it snaps every time). If the cracking and popping are just there, we usually ignore it, but if it bugs you a chiropractor can certainly check it out. Standing tall and getting in the habit of holding your body there adjusts your body's resting musculature to that position so it becomes easier and easier to hold. It also slowly strengthens the muscles that hold you there because you aren't relying on your bones and ligaments to hold you up (this is why you shouldn't stand with your knees locked).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X