No announcement yet.

The Workout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push ups and sit ups while watching TV, box jumps, and pull ups whenever I go under the pull up bar in the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
      Shake weight? No way.

If you're trying to gain weight, but keep definition I would recommend doing some weight training followed by biking, but while biking you should drink something calories - like gatorade or a protein shake.

Is it stationary biking or actual biking?
      Actual biking. About 4-6 miles 3 times a week. The shake weight thing was a joke.

Comment

I pretty much just spend time on a treadmill, then alternate between chest and biceps/triceps on different days. This thread makes me feel undisciplined.

Comment

Applied Nutriceuticals: Stock Down. I ordered on Friday and my order is still being processed... If their products weren't amazingly effective and I didn't need them right now, I would be pissed.
          Originally posted by Daniel
          Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
          lmao

Comment

We ran hills today

My calves be dying

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

What kind of stuff should I do inside my house with or without weights for upper body? That is assuming that biking has me set with building muscle on my lower body.

Comment

2 questions:

Why should I take a preworkout Supplement? As of right now I eat a Banana and Protein Bar 23g of protein an hour-hour/half before workout. I mean I want to try but my friends keep telling me its just sugar and a waste. Will it really give me more energy to lift heavier weights? Please go in some detail here if possible.

I'm seriously thinking of nixing regular Squats. They cause me too many problems with my shoulders and are difficult and uncomfortable for me to keep the bar on my back evenly (my slight scoliosis prob has something to do with it). I'm hearing front squats might be better for me. How exactly do I do those with proper technique. Also how much weight should I be using to start compared to normal squats? Thanks
                WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Awesome thread (wouldn't expect less from a member of team Cicero). I can add some PT knowledge to the best of my ability. When you are starting a workout regimen, here's some things to consider:

Check your skeletal alignment regularly to make sure you aren't unbalancing your body and leading to a future of problems such as back pain. If your shoulders start rounding forward from overdeveloped pecs, make sure to strengthen your rhomboids (scapular adductors).

Another common thing to have out of whack is your pelvis. Look at your body in a mirror from the side. If your pelvis is tilted back (booty sticks out), it's likely because your abs are weak and need strengthening. If your lower back slouches and your pelvis is tilted forward, strengthen your back extensors and glutes.

Check your gait by walking towards a mirror. If your pelvis drops on the side that your foot is swinging on, then the opposite side glute medius is weak and needs strengthening.

Check for over pronation. The easiest way is to look at the bottom of your shoes. If your shoes wear on the outside of the heel, it's likely you over-pronate. Strengthen your anterior and posterior tibialis with foot inversion exercises to correct this.

Last thing off the top of my head is to make sure not to forget about the rotator cuff. These muscles do shoulder rotation, but their highly important secondary function is to stabilize your humerus in the glenoid against the stronger deltoid and pectoral muscles. Do not do muscle failure workouts with the rotator cuff. Fatigue them, but don't overwork them. If you tear one of these, your shoulder will need a lot of work. I recommend starting with therabands (or those rubber cables found in many gyms) and then graduating to light weights.

These are things I regularly work on with patients and are the cause of many chronic pain conditions. If you have any questions about how to work these, ask myself or Swag and we can give you some tips.

Comment

Swag, please answer Rofls speed training question, im curious as to the answer
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                      Hey Swag, know any speed workouts? I wanna get fast
                      Originally posted by SanchoPanza View Post
                      Swag, please answer Rofls speed training question, im curious as to the answer
                      Alright, I'll try to explain this the best I can.

Speed workouts are about working out leg muscles, but in a way that they emulate tasks you would normally be doing... This is not something you build by doing calve raises, squats, deadlifts, etc. I remember reading article about Chris Johnson doing speed training before his 2,000 yard season. I looked into it and made a workout incorporating the principles of it.

Like 3-4 Sets of each of these would work.

Jump Squat - Take a barbell with no weight (or a small amount of weight - see the note below) and do a squat, but on your way up push off from the ground and jump. Upon landing, go immediately back into a squat and do this again. The landing and back to the squat position should be a smooth motion not land - stop - squat.

*Be careful with these... I say no weight or a small amount of weight because it can put your back in harms way easily - I did this with just a barbell for a while, then moved up slowly by 5 lbs at a time and can currently do it with correctly with 22.5 lbs on each side. It's better to do it right and safely then with a ton of weight*

Step Ups - Use dumbells, a lot of guys like to use barbells when doing this for some unknown reason - really, all that does is make you look cooler and increase the risk of injury/falling by about 10x. Just get a dumbell in each hand and step up on a platform or bench alternating between legs doing it about 15 per leg, or 30 total.

Calve Raises - Yeah, I said these didn't work for speed training in the above. But you're coupling it with another exercise that will, you just want to get the initial muscle tearing through this so that it tears even more in the next one.

Final Exercises:

This next exercise doesn't really have a proper name, so I can't really give you anything more than a description as far as what to do...

Find yourself a line, or make one or imagine or something (it doesn't matter) and then start on one side of it. Jump back and forth across it sideways, but during your jumps you should never come more than a few inches off the ground. The constant starting and stopping of the motion, coupled with the explosiveness of the exercise puts your calves in a state similar to those of running and other normal activities. You should do this as fast as you can for 30-60 seconds.

Then take a break, then you can do a different one - like start on one side of the line and this time you do one foot at a time going across (your not sideways on this one):

So you have both feet on one side, then you put your left (or right, doesn't matter how you start) over and then other, but as soon as the other foot hits the ground, you're bringing your other back. This one, you should be taking your feet off the ground enough so that your knees are bending to emulate the motion of running. Should do this as fast as you can for 30-60 seconds as well.

To End:

I usually finish with walking on a treadmill on a 15% incline with ankle weights or weighted sneakers, but those aren't items people normally have unless they're too into lifting. So if your gym has a stair stepper or something else, that would serve effectively as well. Just a few minutes of a burnout pushing yourself at the end is good.

I won't recommend any of the crazy stuff I do in the summer because all of it is dangerous and not easy to access.
                      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                      lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
                        2 questions:

Why should I take a preworkout Supplement? As of right now I eat a Banana and Protein Bar 23g of protein an hour-hour/half before workout. I mean I want to try but my friends keep telling me its just sugar and a waste. Will it really give me more energy to lift heavier weights? Please go in some detail here if possible.
                        Pre-workout supplements concentrate components that give energy and concentrate other nutrients that are associated with stimulating blood flow, increasing "pumps", and some increase the level of oxygen in your blood so that more oxygen makes it to your muscles, which allows them to perform respiration instead of fermentation (the process that causes lactic acid build up, which causes soreness), which is beneficial when working out because respiration produces about 16x as much ATP...which is also why it's essential to breathe in during the "rest" portion of the rep and breathe out during the exertion part.

As for the food: It's a complete waste, I swear by pre-workout stuff, but they are far from necessary. If I were to do a pre-workout meal like that, I would go with pretzels and the banana - the banana is just sugar with some carbs, but if you couple it with complex carbs like pretzels, the sugars will take a longer time to be broken down, thus elongating the energy effects they have... Plus, it's a fruit so the sugars are natural and not bad for you.

If you want to eat the protein bar you can, I generally don't eat protein bars as a pre-workout unless you're using it as a meal substitution, which I sometimes do. The protein has no effect on your workout during it, except that having some protein already in your system during the workout will prevent you from having soreness and start repairing immediately after your done.

I've experimented with protein before, after, and both. I've noticed doing both - one before and one after - is beneficial, but if you have to go with one or the other, after is always better. I just stick with after nowadays because the sheer amount of liquids and pills I already take for workouts is enough to make a normal person's stomach sick, so I can't bear to do much more.

Edit - On pre-workout supplements, sometimes ingredients are "fluff", but nitric oxide is something I swear by in pre-workout supplements.

Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
                        I'm seriously thinking of nixing regular Squats. They cause me too many problems with my shoulders and are difficult and uncomfortable for me to keep the bar on my back evenly (my slight scoliosis prob has something to do with it). I'm hearing front squats might be better for me. How exactly do I do those with proper technique. Also how much weight should I be using to start compared to normal squats? Thanks
                        Squats are something I hate doing, I only do them once a week and I experience similar pain in the rotator cuff portion of shoulder from having to push the bar against my back. So, I just deal with it because I do it once per week. If you're looking for a substitute, you could do the leg press with high foot placement (like so that only your heels are on it) or if there is an assisted squat machine that you don't have to push the bar against your back while using, that would work too. As for if you're scoliosis is causing any of the pain, that would be a question for Alastair instead of me - I still need to talk to him about the skeletal stuff too.

Anyway the frontal squats, I've only ever done a few times. It's really different, and it definitely is something you should decrease the weight on because the way you balance the bar is extremely different and there is an adjusting period... As I said, I have only done them a few times, so I will refer you to a site that is pretty good for giving tutorials on lifting.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-front-...per-technique/

As for when you're just starting out, I would do like a practice set of just the barbell just to make sure you got it down without any weight, then you can add on however much you want. I would probably try less than you do on normal squats - like 2/3 of what you do on normal squats maybe - and then build up.
                        Last edited by SwAg Dynasty; 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM.

That's how you sound.
                        lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                          Awesome thread (wouldn't expect less from a member of team Cicero). I can add some PT knowledge to the best of my ability. When you are starting a workout regimen, here's some things to consider:

Check your skeletal alignment regularly to make sure you aren't unbalancing your body and leading to a future of problems such as back pain. If your shoulders start rounding forward from overdeveloped pecs, make sure to strengthen your rhomboids (scapular adductors).

Another common thing to have out of whack is your pelvis. Look at your body in a mirror from the side. If your pelvis is tilted back (booty sticks out), it's likely because your abs are weak and need strengthening. If your lower back slouches and your pelvis is tilted forward, strengthen your back extensors and glutes.

Check your gait by walking towards a mirror. If your pelvis drops on the side that your foot is swinging on, then the opposite side glute medius is weak and needs strengthening.

Check for over pronation. The easiest way is to look at the bottom of your shoes. If your shoes wear on the outside of the heel, it's likely you over-pronate. Strengthen your anterior and posterior tibialis with foot inversion exercises to correct this.

Last thing off the top of my head is to make sure not to forget about the rotator cuff. These muscles do shoulder rotation, but their highly important secondary function is to stabilize your humerus in the glenoid against the stronger deltoid and pectoral muscles. Do not do muscle failure workouts with the rotator cuff. Fatigue them, but don't overwork them. If you tear one of these, your shoulder will need a lot of work. I recommend starting with therabands (or those rubber cables found in many gyms) and then graduating to light weights.

These are things I regularly work on with patients and are the cause of many chronic pain conditions. If you have any questions about how to work these, ask myself or Swag and we can give you some tips.
                          I will question you about this skeletal alignment business later. I think I'm good, but this sounds really technical.

That's how you sound.
                          lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post

Do you know why I experience shoulder pain, more specifically rotator cuff pain in my left shoulder only when I do squats? No one has yet to give me a clear answer and I've asked a bunch of regulars at the gym too. Thinking about asking my doctor next time I go in.
                            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

What should a fat guy do? Umm not that I'm fat.........I'm asking for a fat friend. ummm yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                                What should a fat guy do? Umm not that I'm fat.........I'm asking for a fat friend. ummm yeah.
                                Cardio. Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. And then after you begun to get some weight loss you can start to hit the gym. If you're unable to run long distances (1.5 miles and up) start by taking long fast-paced walks, and then after a while you start to jog.
                                Also try and think a bit of what you're eating. It's not like you have to go on a diet, but just try to maybe switch out white bread to wholegrain (for example), maybe take more vegetables and less carbs (like pasta, rice, potatoes etc.).

Take small steps at a time, don't try and do a full body work-out the first time you're doing it, cause in 95% of the cases people give up cause it was so hard.

EDIT: This is my opinion as a normal guy with an interest in working out. So don't take my word as the law (as many others on the internets do). But I know for sure that by just changing what you eat a little bit will have effects on you, for the good part

Vampbro for eternity

Comment

Working...
                                X