The Workout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
    Are you planning on working out at home or at a gym? I would recommend a gym with the proper equipment esp a squat rack.
    I work out at a gym. They do have a squat rack, the type where you rotate the bar to rack it, but I'm still worried about using something like that without a spotter, especially if I'm trying to get near muscle failure. I was trying Swag's workouts with the lightweight narrow grip bench and I found I went from pumping them out fine to suddenly being barely able to lift and it was all I could do to re-rack without pulling a Stafon Johnson. I haven't tried using the squat rack yet. I've been subbing by using a bench machine and a leg press, but I think the free weights add a better strengthening dimension by adding balance. My gym has a decent number of machines, but it isn't very large, so there's only regular bench and no incline or decline machine. I've been doing dumbbell flies in incline which have helped. I was just seeing if anyone had any other choices for me to check out.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
      Hmmm.

I really doubt working out is unsafe with what you're describing, but if you wanted to skip I would understand that too - sometimes I feel better when I workout when I'm sore, but meh. If you wanna workout, you can try dropping the weight and just going through the motions to ease back in.
      I recommend what Swag said. Doing the same workout with less weight won't put too much stress on the muscles, but will bring lots of extra blood to the area which is very valuable. If possible, have someone videotape you while you run and check the video for posture. See where your back is positioned when you run and try to fix anything that might be wrong. If it's your upper back check to see if your shoulders are rounding forward. It's pretty common, particularly among men who workout, to have the pecs override the rhomboids and pull the shoulders forward giving the back a stretch weakness. Holding your posture in a good spot might fix your problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
        I work out at a gym. They do have a squat rack, the type where you rotate the bar to rack it, but I'm still worried about using something like that without a spotter, especially if I'm trying to get near muscle failure. I was trying Swag's workouts with the lightweight narrow grip bench and I found I went from pumping them out fine to suddenly being barely able to lift and it was all I could do to re-rack without pulling a Stafon Johnson. I haven't tried using the squat rack yet. I've been subbing by using a bench machine and a leg press, but I think the free weights add a better strengthening dimension by adding balance. My gym has a decent number of machines, but it isn't very large, so there's only regular bench and no incline or decline machine. I've been doing dumbbell flies in incline which have helped. I was just seeing if anyone had any other choices for me to check out.
        Are there safety bars on the squat rack? You don't really need a spotter if they're there. Because you fail into the bars and it's easy to get out if you do.

I mean here is what my gym's looks like. I guess it's more of a cage. I also do my overheads using it to the hold the bar between sets.

You don't need a spotter for deadlifts. You only fail into the ground. You don't need a spotter for overhead press. You would usually just fail lifting it from your chest/neck and should be able to easily put it down.

Bench is the only one I noticed you need a spotter for. But if you ask any other regular lifter in there they will be probably be more than happy to assist and even give pointers. Worst case scenerio and there is no one around, one of the people working there/trainer will probably help you and might offer a tip or 2.
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

1st Bold: That's normal. Happens to me too.

Decline Bench is kind of a waste of time compared to the results you can get from Flat and Incline -- I'm obviously more of a supporter for the Incline.

I often have the weight collapse on me in...pretty much every non-leg exercise, which is another ulterior motive for me not doing flat bench because I don't have a spotter. If the bar falls on me in incline, I just flip my arms and lower it to my stomach, stand up, and then it turns into a barbell row to re-rack it.

I'll look back at your previous posts when I am out of class and give more suggestions.
          Originally posted by Daniel
          Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
          lmao

Comment

The only catch I have with starting strength, and even Swag's workout on the 1st page, is that I usually workout alone. What recommendations do you guys have for replicating things like bench press, squats, and other workouts where you would normally have a spotter. I almost killed myself doing a lightweight bench thinking I could just knock out a dozen reps. Things like incline bench, narrow grip bench, and squats are simply hard to pull off if you don't have a buddy with you.
            Here, I gotcha.

Squats are kind of hard to replicate, but the best thing I could give you is Leg Press with your feet wide and up toward the top so that only your heel (or just about half of your foot) is on the platform (go low weight, obviously -- it takes some getting used to). The foot thing is so that you are pushing in the same way you are with a squat -- if you have muscle control and can sense when you're doing an exercise incorrectly, you can move your feet down to the whole way on the platform, but still higher up. Then bring it down so that you get the full contraction and full extension, basically mimicking a deep squat.

^ For these, as I said before, start with low weight and set yourself a number of how many you want and then try for that, eventually you can move up to failure training -- even if it comes down and you cannot get it back up, you should be able to push it back up again after a minute of rest since it's low weight -- plus, if you think you cannot get it up, try and if it's a no-go you can cheat and use your hands and that is your last rep.

For the narrow bench, you can try using a weight plate if you have weight plates like these that have holes in them. On these, you should put your hands inside the holes and during sets you should come down the whole way and go up as far as you can, as fast as you can -- full extension is great if you can get it, but speed and like a 2/3 extension is fine since this exercise is more of a defining one for your inner chest. If you have a bench that can brace your legs, that's great, if not I have put dumbbells on the ground to be footholds before -- people look at me like I'm nuts though lol

^ You can also do this with two dumbbells, press them together and just raise them up -- probably need an incline bench for that though, I've found it's really hard to maintain even pressure doing this on flat bench.

You can do dumbbells with an incline, go with moderate weight and then superset it with something like push-ups, followed by rest. It will have roughly the same effect as barbell incline press. If push-ups are too easy, add an extra 1/2 push-up to each (as in you go down, up half way, back down, up the whole way).

^ Not really a substitute for incline bench, but dips / weighted dips hit the same portion of the chest as Incline Bench so long as you keep your elbows in toward your body.

Another is the floor flyes, take dumbbells and do a fly on the ground -- you can do more weight here because your arms cannot fall past the floor (obviously) and you get the same motion and squeeze at the top of the exercise. Plus, you can give yourself extra concentration by not allowing your arms to re-touch the floor after your initial set.

I'll think of more, these were just quick ones off the top of my head.
            Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
            lmao

Comment

• Thanks a bunch guys. I'll try those tips next time I'm in. As far as my squat rack goes, it doesn't have a safety bar, but it has a ton of catches and the bar travels along a set path (not completely free). It's nice because it forces you to have good form (keeps your butt back and not going down with your knees going past your toes). To rack it, you can do it at any height by rotating the bar backwards which engages a catch. I'll give everything you guys mentioned a shot and let you know how it works.

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys. I'll try those tips next time I'm in. As far as my squat rack goes, it doesn't have a safety bar, but it has a ton of catches and the bar travels along a set path (not completely free). It's nice because it forces you to have good form (keeps your butt back and not going down with your knees going past your toes). To rack it, you can do it at any height by rotating the bar backwards which engages a catch. I'll give everything you guys mentioned a shot and let you know how it works.
                A Smith machine? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_machine

I would think, as someone in the medical field, you wouldn't be a big fan of those. I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I've heard they can cause some problems.

Comment

• I hate those.

That's how you sound.
                  lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by Nasmatic View Post
                    A Smith machine? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_machine

I would think, as someone in the medical field, you wouldn't be a big fan of those. I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I've heard they can cause some problems.
                    Yeah. I don't have any experience with hearing about problems from them, but then again, seeing your link, I don't like the idea of one that comes straight down. The one at my gym is at an angle like this:

I've been watching people using it, and it seems to give them very correct form.

Comment

• The one at my gym comes straight down, thus prevent good form, which is why I hate it.

That's how you sound.
                      lmao

Comment

I recommend what Swag said. Doing the same workout with less weight won't put too much stress on the muscles, but will bring lots of extra blood to the area which is very valuable. If possible, have someone videotape you while you run and check the video for posture. See where your back is positioned when you run and try to fix anything that might be wrong. If it's your upper back check to see if your shoulders are rounding forward. It's pretty common, particularly among men who workout, to have the pecs override the rhomboids and pull the shoulders forward giving the back a stretch weakness. Holding your posture in a good spot might fix your problems.
                        Was not able to workout, did not have enough time :P

But I seriously think there's something wrong with my running form. I've had a lot of pain (yes, I'm a delicate child if you didn't know already) in my solar plexus area and the sides after really intense running, and the trainer thinks it has to do with my running form.

I shall see if I will be able to videotape myself running

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

Yeah. I don't have any experience with hearing about problems from them, but then again, seeing your link, I don't like the idea of one that comes straight down. The one at my gym is at an angle like this:

I've been watching people using it, and it seems to give them very correct form.
                          There is one like that at my gym. I believe it comes straight down like Swag is saying. People use it for benching without a spotter.
                          WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                          Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

• I can't move the right side of my body

Comment

• Originally posted by EL Guapo View Post
                              I can't move the right side of my body
                              You've probably had a stroke. Call the paramedics.

Comment

• It's just really sore

Comment

Working...
                                X