The Workout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
    Where do you feel your flexibility is lacking in a more specific manner? With squats, you want to make sure you keep a neutral spine and push your butt out. Ideally, your knees should not pass in front of the imaginary plane going straight up from your toes. If you find that your heels are coming off the ground when you squat, you may have some tightness in your Achilles or calves. To stretch those keep a foot planted on the ground and step forward with the other foot without your back heel leaving the ground. Make sure to keep the back leg locked straight. You can bend the front knee and move forward until you feel a stretch in your calf. Hold it for about a minute and do that a few times a day. The stretch should look like this:

When you've held that for a minute, allow your back knee to flex, but continue to keep that foot on the ground. You should feel the stretch move lower, into your Achilles tendon. By flexing the knee, you're moving the stretch from the gastrocnemius (the larger calf muscle that spans both the heel and the knee) and are now stretching the Soleus, which is the other major muscle underneath the gastroc. Let me know if that info helps for the heel. I'm not sure what part of your hip is feeling tight, so some specifics should help me give you a stretch for that.
    Will do. THANKS!
    Well for Barbell Rows, Squats, and deadlifts, all need some felixibility in the center (hip) area of my body to some extent. I am very stiff right now everywhere, but am working on it.

I would say for barbell rows, I the most flexibility in my middle section (hips, navel area)
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
    I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

Comment

• I am at an impasse.

I was such a big advocate of barbells for so long because you're able to go up weight faster and thus (in theory) get stronger. But I switched to dumbbells and I am feeling like it is a better workout.

I guess whenever I do my ES regiment to start the year I will figure it out.
      Originally posted by Daniel
      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
      lmao

Comment

• I'm more of a dumbbell kind of guy.
        sigpic

Comment

• Im getting so goddamn sick of bulking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lenruk View Post
            I'm more of a dumbbell kind of guy.
            On second thought, should've made a kettlebells joke.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Prodigy View Post
              Im getting so goddamn sick of bulking.
              There has got to be a good dick joke in there somewhere.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
              I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

Comment

• Has anyone ever done Insanity? I'm on week one, and I really am enjoying it.
                JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CMD V

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJETS80 View Post
                  Has anyone ever done Insanity? I'm on week one, and I really am enjoying it.
                  I did it for about a month(skipped days here and there) and then realized that I needed to gain weight, not lose it. Definitely works for losing weight though as long as you follow through.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJETS80 View Post
                    Has anyone ever done Insanity? I'm on week one, and I really am enjoying it.
                    Most of those kinds of workouts are for fat asses on couches who need to get in some semblance of good shape. If that's what you need, then it's great for it. If you want to look like Taylor Mays, then you will have to hit a gym.

If you want to lose weight, running/swimming and proper diet will do it faster. Your basic army workout (run, pushup, situp, pullup, lunges, etc) will do it. The only real benefit to tapes are that some people need the motivation.

Michael Floyd > Justin Blackmon

Comment

• Nah. If you're a big guy with a lot of muscle, but can't seem to lose the fat you want to...at the end of Insanity you will have that shredded look.

Afterburn workout with cardio components with failure training. It's great, just not something a lot of people want to do often because:

A.) It's hard.

B.) It focuses on both extremes, limiting the progress made to mass-adding more than fat-loss.

C.) It's not a social event, which is what most of the world treats working out as, unfortunately.
                      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                      lmao

Comment

• So might as well post some of my progress here. Started going to the gym in late July. I could barely bench 105, haha. Now in December, I'm repping 145 now. And maxing 185. I squatted 280 6 times last week, I really really wanna get 300 but last time I tried I couldn't get up lol

Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan
                        I hate you Kyle Orton, I hate your family, I hate your dog, if you have cats I hate those, I also hate any fish you have, I hate your hobbies, I hope you fail at most things you do.

Comment

• Btw - fuck cardio. I hate it. Like, going on the treadmills and ellipticals. I honestly prefer going to our local rec center and playing basketball for hours. Which is what I've done all weekend.

Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan
                          I hate you Kyle Orton, I hate your family, I hate your dog, if you have cats I hate those, I also hate any fish you have, I hate your hobbies, I hope you fail at most things you do.

Comment

• I really need to start lifting again

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Originally posted by Descendency View Post
                              Most of those kinds of workouts are for fat asses on couches who need to get in some semblance of good shape. If that's what you need, then it's great for it. If you want to look like Taylor Mays, then you will have to hit a gym.

If you want to lose weight, running/swimming and proper diet will do it faster. Your basic army workout (run, pushup, situp, pullup, lunges, etc) will do it. The only real benefit to tapes are that some people need the motivation.
                              Those are terrible for losing weight. They will help you tone your muscles if you do enough of them, but they're not very effective for fat burn. Virginia did a study and found that apparently you need to do 250,000 crunches to burn one pound of fat.

Comment

• If you make your workout full of compound movements and limited rest it mirrors a full-body cardio workout.

That's one of the underlying reasons people always stress resistance training, apart from the whole muscle burning more calories thing.

That's how you sound.
                                lmao

Comment

Working...
                                X