Page 3 of 244
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Selections

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008

I think Rhyme is going defense.

2. arhymemaster is offline The Real Gunslinger Perennial Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by EAkadima15 View Post
    HA? No, Jim Brown didn't last long enough to be the undisputed greatest of all time. I won't let the likes of the Sporting News and Sports Illustrated convince me otherwise. When I watch Sweetness, I always consider him the greatest. But I know that is just me. There is no clear undisputed greatest player in the history of football, which is what makes this so appealing to me. And I would definitely put Payton on a scale much higher than Nolan Ryan.
    Walter Payton is like Nolan Ryan for a few reasons.

1) Neither was the best or even top 2 at their position when they played.

2) Both compiled lots of records and stats due to their luck of never getting injured, and longevity of their career.

3) Both are considerably overrated by almost everyone who has never seen the greatest play (With Nolan Ryan its Walter Johnson, with Walter Payton its Jim Brown)

3. Could be, I'm just happy because this is my first and probably only time I will ever take Walter Payton in any sort of draft.

4. arhymemaster is offline The Real Gunslinger Perennial Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by InjuredReserve View Post
    I think Rhyme is going defense.
    Maybe...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008

Walter Johnson is the greatest pitcher of all time. Screw Nolan Ryan.

I think Sweetness was a fantastic player and I cant fault him for remaining healthy.

As a note. This is Superbowl era players (so Jim Brown doesn't qualify).
    Just to make sure he doesn't get drafted soon.

6. arhymemaster is offline The Real Gunslinger Perennial Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by InjuredReserve View Post
    Walter Johnson is the greatest pitcher of all time. Screw Nolan Ryan.

I think Sweetness was a fantastic player and I cant fault him for remaining healthy.

As a note. This is Superbowl era players (so Jim Brown doesn't qualify).
    Just to make sure he doesn't get drafted soon.
    Nolan Ryan isn't even a top 10 all time pitcher, but his stats qualify him to be on all-time and century teams.

And it kinda sucks that Jim Brown isn't draftable, but oh well. Maybe next time.

7. Quote Originally Posted by arhymemaster View Post

2) Both compiled lots of records and stats due to their luck of never getting injured.

3) Both are considerably overrated by almost everyone who has never seen the greatest play (With Nolan Ryan its Walter Johnson, with Walter Payton its Jim Brown)
    1. No. Just no.

2. Call it luck. Call it whatever you want. Payton missed one game in 13 seasons. I'm sure he fought through plenty of injuries at the position that suffers the most pain.

3. I won't delve into Ryan vs. Johnson, because I'm not a real baseball fan, but I don't want to hear any missed generation stuff. I didn't even live to see Walter Payton play. Payton was consistently good as well. He also ran for 16726 yards on a team that wasn't very good. You can't even characterize Payton's running style because he did everything well. He ran over people, he juked people out of their shoes, and flat out burned defenses. I can't be convinced otherwise that he wasn't the greatest. His longevity and ability, and accomplishments are simply unmatched.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008

Quote Originally Posted by arhymemaster View Post

In response to #1 - try again. Payton was voted to both the 1970's and 1980's All-Decade teams.

In response to #3 - try again. Payton was voted the second best rb behind only Jim Brown on the 100 Greatest Players list compiled in 2000.

I may live in Florida, but I bleed Chicago navy & orange

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008

Actually I am going to need a ruling on Jim Brown from GeorgiaJeff (I feel he is most qualified as our historian). The Hall of Fame has him listed as modern era. So I think Jim Brown should be eligible. He retired in 1965.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008

I thought the condition was "Super Bowl Era", which started in 66.

1.5- Tom Brady, QB, 2.28- Brian Orakpo, OLB, 3.28- Marcell Dareus, DT, 4.5- Percy Harvin, WR, 5.28- Tyrann Mathieu, CB/FS, 6.5- Justin Smith, DE, 7.28- Jerry Hughes, OLB, 8.5- Brian Cushing, ILB, 9.28- Tyvon Branch, SS, 10.5- Larry Warford, OG, 11.28- Jermichael Finley, TE, 12.5- Arian Foster, RB, 13.28- DeAngelo Hall, CB, 14.5- Chris Clark, OT, 15.28- Sidney Rice, WR, 16.5- Dominic Raiola, C, 17.28- Carl Nicks, G, 18.5- Marcel Reece, MN, 19.28- Jabari Greer, CB, 20.5- Nick Roach, MLB, 21.28- Charles Woodson, FS, 22.5- Khalif Barnes, OT, 23.28- Brett Keisel, DE, 24.5- Asante Samuel, CB, 25.28- Jacoby Jones, WR, 26.5- Jonathan Stewart, RB/TVHost, 27.28- Tommy Kelly, DE, 28.5- Jonathan Martin, OT, 29.28- Thomas Keiser, LB 30.5- Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR 31.28- Mike Brisiel, OG, 32.5- Dustin Keller, TE

+ Reply to Thread