+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx - Aaron Rodgers

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008

The Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx - Aaron Rodgers

Most everyone knows of the Sports Illustrated cover jinx...

"The Sports Illustrated Jinx is a myth that states that individuals or teams who appear on the cover of the Sports Illustrated magazine will subsequently experience bad luck.

While the list of "examples" of the jinx may be extensive, an individual record 49 cover appearances by Michael Jordan did not hinder his success. Similarly, Vince Young also overcame the Sport Illustrated jinx by appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice during Texas' National Championship season.

SI addressed their own opinions on the "alleged" cover jinx in a 2002 issue that featured a black cat on the cover.

The most common explanation for the perceived effect is that athletes are generally featured on the cover at the pinnacle of their careers, so future performance is likely to be less impressive by comparison. This decline in performance would then be perceived as being related to, or even possibly caused by, the appearance on the magazine cover. This perceived correlation is present for a statistically significant number of featured athletes. This effect is related to the statistical phenomenon of regression toward the mean.

This explanation does not apply to rookies or others who are featured relatively early in their careers.
    "

Look who's on the 7 September cover...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1283/index.htm

I may live in Florida, but I bleed Chicago navy & orange

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009

What a wierd looking picture.
    "I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work. " - George Carlin

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009

no way Rodgers trips up this year. he's been absolutely money during the preseason and unless Albert Haynesworth lays his fat *** on him like he did to Brady, he's going to dominate.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Romo has the same kind of cover doesn't he?

Blue is offline Master of English 1000% USDA Young Stallion

Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tony Romo are all featured on the cover as well. It's a regional cover.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by blue5213 View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger are all featured on the cover as well. It's a regional cover.
    Great first Madden now this.

7. Like they said Ben Roethlisberger is on mine ... and Tony Romo and others on the cover too!!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008

I have never believed in this curse. The Madden curse has hurt more people.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009

I have him in both of my fantasy leagues. He better not get bad luck.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009

Brady wasn't on the 2008 preview cover. Neither was Pollard.

+ Reply to Thread