+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jaguars to release veterans Holt, Thomas

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Jaguars to release veterans Holt, Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by rotoworld
    The Jaguars informed veteran WR Torry Holt and OT Tra Thomas that they will be released next week.

Holt, 33, was the Jags' third-leading receiver in 2009, but he's devoid of playmaking ability at this stage of his career. Holt played ten seasons in St. Louis before signing with Jacksonville last April. Mike Thomas could ascend to Holt's starting spot in 2010. Teams can not release players until the Monday after the Super Bowl.
    I wonder if they'll try to find another team or just retire, Holt still had a decent season last year.

2. Holt might have some value for a dome team. Tra Thomas could play some right tackle for somebody.
    "The Big 10 is actually the superior conference to the SEC."

"Them's fightin words."

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007

Holt may hold some value to a team like Cleveland or someone like that who have a lot of young Receivers that could learn from talking with Holt and watching how he plays.

Thomas may be a nice one or two year transition Right Tackle for a team with a young offensive linemen that needs to develop more before starting.
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Holt might be able to outperform a vet minimum salary as someone's WR4 but there's equal chance or better that he won't, which means it's time to retire.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Best destinations for Holt

Patriots
    Bears
    Cleveland
    Saints
    San Diego
    Baltimore
    Falcons
    Panthers
    Jets
    49ers

He won't be able to be a #1 anymore, but he could be a good number two or three for these teams. He can mentor younger players, or just be a smart veteran player that plays hard, and is intelligent.

Blue is offline Master of English 1000% USDA Young Stallion

I still think Thomas can play left tackle, actually. He'd be a low-end, 2008 Mike Gandy left tackle, but he can play the position. I think he retires, though.

Holt's only 33. Still, if you're not Randy Moss or T.O., older receivers have trouble going somewhere that they can start and don't feel like backing up younger guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverTyrant View Post
    I have a small *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by jepg View Post
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    CMD V Green Bay Packers

QB Matt Ryan, DE Cam Jordan, DT Nick Fairley, DT Fletcher Cox, WR Michael Floyd, CB Sean Smith, G Evan Mathis, OT Riley Reiff, CB Casey Heyward, RB Ryan Mathews, MLB Dont'a Hightower, OT Gosder Cherilus, WR Mike Williams, LB Connor Barwin, S T.J. McDonald, TE Garrett Graham, LB Manny Lawson, C Kyle Cook, S Da'Norris Searcy, CB Corey Graham, DE Osi Umenyiora, G Mackenzy Bernadeau, FB Vonta Leach, WR Jarius Wright, DL Ricky Jean-Francois, RB Bryce Brown, WR Junior Hemingway, DE Kamerion Wimbley, OL Alvin Bailey, S Sanders Commings, LB Nico Johnson, 32.10

Blue is offline Master of English 1000% USDA Young Stallion

Quote Originally Posted by DevineIntervention View Post
    Best destinations for Holt

Patriots
    Bears
    Cleveland
    Saints
    San Diego
    Baltimore
    Falcons
    Panthers
    Jets
    49ers

He won't be able to be a #1 anymore, but he could be a good number two or three for these teams. He can mentor younger players, or just be a smart veteran player that plays hard, and is intelligent.
    I really like the bolded teams as destinations for Holt. Especially Chicago and Cleveland that have a ton of young receivers. Throw Miami in there, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverTyrant View Post
    I have a small *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by jepg View Post
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    CMD V Green Bay Packers

QB Matt Ryan, DE Cam Jordan, DT Nick Fairley, DT Fletcher Cox, WR Michael Floyd, CB Sean Smith, G Evan Mathis, OT Riley Reiff, CB Casey Heyward, RB Ryan Mathews, MLB Dont'a Hightower, OT Gosder Cherilus, WR Mike Williams, LB Connor Barwin, S T.J. McDonald, TE Garrett Graham, LB Manny Lawson, C Kyle Cook, S Da'Norris Searcy, CB Corey Graham, DE Osi Umenyiora, G Mackenzy Bernadeau, FB Vonta Leach, WR Jarius Wright, DL Ricky Jean-Francois, RB Bryce Brown, WR Junior Hemingway, DE Kamerion Wimbley, OL Alvin Bailey, S Sanders Commings, LB Nico Johnson, 32.10

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by loneweasel View Post
    Holt might be able to outperform a vet minimum salary as someone's WR4 but there's equal chance or better that he won't, which means it's time to retire.
    He has 115 receptions for 1500+ yards on two bad teams, with bad offensive lines, and not great quarterbacks. I think he has something left in the tank, and could be a solid #2 or good #3 for a playoff team looking to get their offense improved

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by blue5213 View Post
    I really like the bolded teams as destinations for Holt. Especially Chicago and Cleveland that have a ton of young receivers. Throw Miami in there, too.
    Definitely true, i was going through teams in my head and missed them. They have a lot of young WRs, they can definitely learn a lot by playing with Holt, and learning how to read defenses, and how to always be open. Teams could be very hopeful they will pick up on Holts good habits, not a big mouth, and practices very hard. I remember him once saying he would catch 1000 balls in practice each day. That, is incredible! Determination to be great..

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DevineIntervention View Post
    He has 115 receptions for 1500+ yards on two bad teams, with bad offensive lines, and not great quarterbacks. I think he has something left in the tank, and could be a solid #2 or good #3 for a playoff team looking to get their offense improved
    Which means there's also not much competition for the targets.

Watching him he's looked like just a body out there in the last two years. The speed is gone. He doesn't have anything extra left like size, elusivity or surehandedness. He'll catch a five yard curl against soft coverage but won't do anything with it. This sounds like the job description of an adequate WR3 in many offenses. But the problem is that there's absolutely no upside to him and there's significant chance he'll crater. It's quite possible his performance next year won't even merit the vet min+ (~$1M) salary he'll command. A mid-low round pick will be cheaper with much more upside.

Of course if you are say the Patriots who were running special teamers out of the spread, Holt is a justifiable gamble. But that's about it. A player of his stature could and probably should just rest for his health and family.

+ Reply to Thread