+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebow helps Jags sell tickets to opener

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008

And it's not like Jacksonville is gonna go 14-2 or soemthing liek that. They were in the playoff hunt last year and couldn't sell out games. if KC was in the playoff hunt, you'd have to trade your firstborn son for Chiefs tickets.

2. Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs365 View Post
    And it's not like Jacksonville is gonna go 14-2 or soemthing liek that. They were in the playoff hunt last year and couldn't sell out games. if KC was in the playoff hunt, you'd have to trade your firstborn son for Chiefs tickets.
    Jacksonville is doomed to move. All the people of age to be buying season tickets are all FSU/UF/USF Alums who are college fans first and pro fans second. They all also were raised as either bucs or phins fans.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Walt reminds me of a child who refuses to let go of his first original thought, despite the stupidity and irrationality behind it.

Go build a business model based on short term interest and exposure and then ultimate decline and see how it works out.

You people say people will pay to see Tebow no matter what he's doing. Seriously? I get that he has an incredible fanbase, but if they are that damn devoted, don't you think they'd riot if he wasn't playing? Why piss off your fanbase by not giving them what they came for?

You're forced to play him and humiliate him when he fails or sit him and piss off the fans when they don't get to see their hero do anything.

This is possibly the longest running, stupidest damn idea I've ever heard. And it's really sad and pathetic that you're still clinging to it Walt.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008

5. I was on the Jaguars Facebook page just there and one of the top comments was some guy selling Tebow jerseys, hahaha.

Oh yeah and most of the other comments are the fans slating the Management and some guys saying they are now becoming Falcons and Buccaneers fans, hah!

Lol at this:

Paul Beauparlant wonders who smokes more crack? Gene Smith or Jimmy Smith
    20 hours ago · View Feedback (1)Hide Feedback (1) · Report

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Any good he would do would have just lasted two years max before everyone realized he's a bad quarterback who's a better fit as an H-back.
    Colts CMD

QB-Peyton Manning
    RB-
    WR-Anquan Boldin
    WR-Doug Baldwin
    WR-Mohamed Sanu
    TE-Kyle Rudolph
    LT-Eugene Monroe
    LG-Matt Slauson
    C-Roberto Garza
    RG-Willie Colon
    RT-Joe Barksdale

DE-Michael Bennett
    DT-Terrance Knighton
    DT-Tony McDaniel
    DE-Robert Ayers
    OLB-Malcolm Smith
    MLB-Kiko Alonso
    OLB-
    CB-Alterraun Verner
    CB-
    FS-Michael Griffin
    SS-Marcus Gilchrist

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Can you define what an "H-Back" is? I'm quite sure you are using it wrong; Nobody even uses the H-Back in the NFL anymore, but people throw it around like Lindsay Lohan at a rainbow party.

Link 1
    d. H-back - This isn't so much a cliche, as it is a misused term. Nowadays, the average John Clayton or Len Pasquarelli calls a lighter, more receiving-focused TE an H-back. Actually, when the Redskins invented the concept in the 80s, it was for one purpose: getting a strong blocker into the body of Lawrence Taylor immediately. The players they used as H-backs caught very few passes. Nobody uses this concept in 2009, so the widespread use of the term H-back is not correct.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by athuridon View Post
    Walt reminds me of a child who refuses to let go of his first original thought, despite the stupidity and irrationality behind it.

Go build a business model based on short term interest and exposure and then ultimate decline and see how it works out.

You people say people will pay to see Tebow no matter what he's doing. Seriously? I get that he has an incredible fanbase, but if they are that damn devoted, don't you think they'd riot if he wasn't playing? Why piss off your fanbase by not giving them what they came for?

You're forced to play him and humiliate him when he fails or sit him and piss off the fans when they don't get to see their hero do anything.

This is possibly the longest running, stupidest damn idea I've ever heard. And it's really sad and pathetic that you're still clinging to it Walt.
    I have to back Walter and disagree with you.

Tebow might not be the long term solution, but not taking Tebow will force this team to move due to declining interest in a saturated market.

In a business sense think of Tebow as a loan. You have a long term vision, but you need the cash flow in the short term to keep the business afloat. Tebow brings in that short term cash flow for at least 2 seasons if not more depending on his development. In the meantime the business is bringing in customers and selling tickets. This allows them enough time and flexibility to build up the rest of their team. So in conclusion taking that short term loan (Tebow) allows the business enough cash flow support to stay open long enough for grow. This is why Tebow was necessary to the Jaguars.

Not drafting him means alienating potential fans who now wouldn't come to games and won't buy merchandise essentially halting cash flow and forcing the Jaguars hand to move the team in all likelihood to a market they can survival and hopefully prosper from. Adding one piece in Tyson Alualu was not worth it if the team wants to stay in Jacksonville.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Plays:

Season long bets

Trent Richardson Under 825.5 RY 3 units
    Tom Brady Over 4400 PY 1 unit
    Eric Decker Over 825.5 RY 5 units
    Mercedes Lewis Over 500.5 PY 3 units
    Geno Atkins Under 8.5 Sacks 3 units
    Calvin Johnson Under 11.5 TDs 3 units
    Ravens Over 8.5 Wins 3 units
    Bills Under 6.5 Wins 3 units

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Vbsiena View Post
    I have to back Walter and disagree with you.

Tebow might not be the long term solution, but not taking Tebow will force this team to move due to declining interest in a saturated market.

In a business sense think of Tebow as a loan. You have a long term vision, but you need the cash flow in the short term to keep the business afloat. Tebow brings in that short term cash flow for at least 2 seasons if not more depending on his development. In the meantime the business is bringing in customers and selling tickets. This allows them enough time and flexibility to build up the rest of their team. So in conclusion taking that short term loan (Tebow) allows the business enough cash flow support to stay open long enough for grow. This is why Tebow was necessary to the Jaguars.

Not drafting him means alienating potential fans who now wouldn't come to games and won't buy merchandise essentially halting cash flow and forcing the Jaguars hand to move the team in all likelihood to a market they can survival and hopefully prosper from. Adding one piece in Tyson Alualu was not worth it if the team wants to stay in Jacksonville.
    That's going on the assumption that those fans will

1) Stick around for at least 2 full years, going to every home game and continually purchasing merchandise.
    2) Accept Tebow's either poor play or complete absence of performance if he is benched.
    3) After those 2 years, those people have no complaints about Tebow either disappearing if he was playing poorly or never seeing the field if he was benched. Or, if he was benched while he developed, hoping he is successful when that period of time ends.

I'm sorry but there are far too many "They will definitely" ideas for me to consider it a completely realistic idea.

I've never disagreed that people won't come and buy merchandise. But that "loan" will ultimately cost them more than Tebow could be worth. Yes, they alienate a fanbase now because they did not select Tebow, but you run the risk of drafting that fan base's idol and then have him either under-perform or not play, is just asking for trouble to me.

I would be far more concerned for a potential boycott / riot if Tebow doesn't save the team and handcuff them to a sub-par QB for the next half of a decade. It not only seriously surrenders ability at the most pivotal position, but has huge marketing and financial risk for far too fickle of a short term gain.

And as with the other thread, if they are doomed to move, it won't be for at least 2+ years because even if construction has begun in LA, which Chg said it has but I haven't taken the time to check, it would take that much time to complete it. And then sell the team. A team at the lowest value possible because they don't have an NFL icon and passed up on one, has had a streak of losing seasons and is coming from an area that has a very segregated fan base.

If they do sell, it would be at the absolute lowest of values and only when Weaver is completely desperate. I don't think it's ready to happen yet, but I can't see the future and think that if it does happen, it would probably be in 2014-15.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009

Also, it didn't say how many tickets actually were sold in response to Tebow. It just says, "significant" number of calls came in.

And honestly as Walt loves to just not give completely correct information when it comes to Jags (think the season-ticket holder poll where evidently 12 people showed up, when in actuality it was over 800) if that number goes up from 12 to 20, that's a pretty significant increase, right?

+ Reply to Thread