+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaine Gabbert's Draft Stock Slipping?

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by cutty View Post
    One thing people have to keep in mind is that NFL Scouts haven't seen Gabbert until now. His rise up draft boards has been 100% due to draftniks, which of course doesn't amount to much considering 90% of them have no clue when it comes to real evaluations - scouts inc. included

NFL teams probably don't lift a finger to do anything draft related until their season's over, and even then it's a very slow process.

Give it a few weeks, the same thing will happen with Da'Quan Bowers.
    Yup, yup, yup.

But NFL teams do have scouts go around the country to watch games during the season. I just don't think they review the game tape extensively until the offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDude View Post
    If the 49ers make it to the 2014-2015 season NFCCG, I will paypal you and every other 49ers fan on here $200.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
    Yup, yup, yup.

But NFL teams do have scouts go around the country to watch games during the season. I just don't think they review the game tape extensively until the offseason.
    Yeah that's true, good point. I just don't get the feeling that any real work is done unitl this time of the year. I would think that scouting department people have more important things in-season than watching college prospects

3. In my mind there isn't a single first round caliber QB in this class. If I were a QB needy team I would wait until the 2nd - 4th round range form someone like Christian Ponder or Greg McElroy (who are both better then the supposed top rated guys, IMO).

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I'm a huge fan of Greg and all, but no, just... no.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by shoffma1999 View Post
    In my mind there isn't a single first round caliber QB in this class. If I were a QB needy team I would wait until the 2nd - 4th round range form someone like Christian Ponder or Greg McElroy (who are both better then the supposed top rated guys, IMO).
    Ryan Mallett is 1st round caliber talent, IMO. Newton as well, but in a very different way.
    If the 49ers make it to the 2014-2015 season NFCCG, I will paypal you and every other 49ers fan on here $200.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009

Yeah that's true, good point. I just don't get the feeling that any real work is done unitl this time of the year. I would think that scouting department people have more important things in-season than watching college prospects
    AFAIK, nearly all the scouting work that could be called somewhat extensive is done regionally, near the teams' headquarters.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
    AFAIK, nearly all the scouting work that could be called somewhat extensive is done regionally, near the teams' headquarters.
    I would think that in-season, those guys are 100% focused on scouting future opponent teams and players. Watching college kids is more or less a waste of resources, they'll have more than enough time to focus on that stuff from February till the end of April

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009

I would think that in-season, those guys are 100% focused on scouting future opponent teams and players. Watching college kids is more or less a waste of resources, they'll have more than enough time to focus on that stuff from February till the end of April
    Teams have a lot of scouts, though. IIRC, they have some designated as college scouts, and some as NFL scouts (not exactly that terminology, but you get the gist)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
    Teams have a lot of scouts, though. IIRC, they have some designated as college scouts, and some as NFL scouts (not exactly that terminology, but you get the gist)
    I don't think teams have full-time scouts dedicated to just college football 12 months out of the year, at least not more than one. I could only imagine walking into Andy Reid's office to tell him about Bruce Carter, and he'd probably tell me to stop bothering him with this shit when he has the Giants in 4 days.

I think we overblow just how much attention the NFL gives to the draft during the season.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    According to ESPN's Mel Kiper, Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert's draft stock has begun "slipping" heading into the Scouting Combine.

According to Kiper, Gabbert's fall has occurred after NFL teams did "more film work" on the underclassman's junior year. It's true that Gabbert did not dominate his competition in 2010, throwing for 16 touchdowns compared to nine picks and averaging an unimpressive 6.71 yards per attempt. Gabbert was much better as a sophomore. The Combine starts on February 24.

Did these NFL teams simply not watch college football until now?
    scouting process
    step 1: listen to mcshay blindly
    step 2: actually watch tape

+ Reply to Thread