+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 209

Thread: Locker at 12?

  1. I could definately see it, Locker's a top 20 pick to me

  2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachussetts
    Posts
    42,751

    It's definitely an intriguing idea. I will have to agree with the Viking fan that said if Locker busts it's a retarded pick, but if they hit it's worth it. That's how it is with every pick, but it's always a little bit more extreme when you are playing the hit-or-miss game with a QB, which is essentially the franchise. I like Locker, I don't know that I would take him at 10 or 12, but toward the end of the 1st Round, if you believe in him, why not take a shot? If Tim Tebow can be a 1st Round pick and Alex Smith can go 1st Overall (more recently, if Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert can go 1st Overall), why can't Jake Locker go in the 1st Round?
    NFL Mafia II -- A-Hern's Last Stand: Sign-Up!

    QB, Robert Griffin III; WR, Julio Jones; WR, Andre Johnson; OT, Jason Peters; WR, Mike Wallace; DT, Vince Wilfork; DE, LaMarr Houston; OG, Josh Sitton; OG, Logan Mankins; DT, Sharrif Floyd; OLB, K.J. Wright; S, Johnathan Cyprien; DE, Adrian Clayborn; OT, William Beatty; RB, Trent Richardson; MLB, David Harris; OLB, Zach Brown; CB, Jamar Taylor; TE, Jermaine Gresham; CB, Tracy Porter; C, Peter Konz; CB, Kayvon Webster; WR, Jerrel Jernigan; CB/S, Champ Bailey; OT, Tyson Clabo; DL, Tyson Alualu; WR, Santonio Holmes; FB, Greg Jones; OL, Mike Johnson; DE, David Bass; DE, Cornelius Washington

  3. Obviously there's a lot of bad with Locker, he had an awful season and its all well documented

    Although, his tape against USC = a #1 overall pick in almost any draft in the last 10 years. I put it up with Stafford's game against LSU as a junior - the pocket was non-existent, the receivers were well covered, and the only way to stay in the game was for the Quarterback to make throws that he had no business making. No matter what team Locker goes to, he's going to have a better protection than he did last year at UW

  4. Blue's Avatar
    Blue is offline Master of English 1000% USDA Young Stallion
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    56,617

    Locker is the only QB in this class who should go in the first round. He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers more than Favre. Sure, the accuracy's not elite and he doesn't have the numbers. When it comes right down to it though, he's got NFL talent and reeks of confidence and leadership on the field. As a Packers fan, I would hate to see him go to Minnesota.
    Quote Originally Posted by jepg View Post
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

    I should be put on an island and nuked.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by blue5213 View Post
    Locker is the only QB in this class who should go in the first round. He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers more than Favre. Sure, the accuracy's not elite and he doesn't have the numbers. When it comes right down to it though, he's got NFL talent and reeks of confidence and leadership on the field. As a Packers fan, I would hate to see him go to Minnesota.
    I keep coming back to the fact that he's shown he can QB at an NFL level - whether it was the USC game this year, or a big percentage of his junior season. I can reasonably say that he just couldn't overcome how bad his team was, and while that's a red flag, its not bigger than Gabbert (NFL accuracy?) or Mallett (combo of poor release, mobility, and passing under fire. Also drugs/character issues).

    I put Locker pretty much on par with Cam Newton, and I can make a case that Newton is a bigger risk. I think Locker has a better arm and throws a nicer ball. From a skillset perspective, I agree with the Aaron Rodgers comparison

  6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    40,824

    Locker at 12 is the worst situation we could be in. Rick Spielman will surely be fired when Locker doesn't do **** and he flakes on his later round picks ... AGAIN.


    The Vikings should be drafting safe/BPA this year. We can't afford to **** up any further or we'll be what Detroit was for the last 10 years... playing catch up.

    Quote Originally Posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
    It's definitely an intriguing idea. I will have to agree with the Viking fan that said if Locker busts it's a retarded pick, but if they hit it's worth it. That's how it is with every pick, but it's always a little bit more extreme when you are playing the hit-or-miss game with a QB, which is essentially the franchise. I like Locker, I don't know that I would take him at 10 or 12, but toward the end of the 1st Round, if you believe in him, why not take a shot? If Tim Tebow can be a 1st Round pick and Alex Smith can go 1st Overall (more recently, if Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert can go 1st Overall), why can't Jake Locker go in the 1st Round?
    he's not gonna hit, have you seen the inconsistency he displays? that's TJack all over again, not even kidding. You would think Zygi would say "**** that, I already dealt with that scrub TJack being inconsistent and bad, just take the best guy available" ... one can hope.

  7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    20,325

    I mean there are people talking about Locker going at 8th overall to the Titans.

    I actually think the Titans make more sense then the Vikings. Because the Titans have to know that the Vikings are at least considering Locker, which means they may have to sit tight at 8 and take him. Perceived enormous reach or not.

  8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16,648

    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsteve26 View Post
    Locker at 12 is the worst situation we could be in. Rick Spielman will surely be fired when Locker doesn't do **** and he flakes on his later round picks ... AGAIN.


    The Vikings should be drafting safe/BPA this year. We can't afford to **** up any further or we'll be what Detroit was for the last 10 years... playing catch up.
    You realize that drafting safe/BPA without having a good quarterback will always mean you'll be at best average in the current NFL? Look at the Miami Dolphins they have been pretty average the last few years (even the 10-6 team got badly exposed immediately in the playoffs) do you think they wouldn't switch Ryan for Long now? Ryan is a good quarterback but Long is an elite LT yet it wouldn't take them even a second to make their mind up. I know hindsight makes it easier to use this example but I think taking a chance on a Quarterback needs to be done these days. Granted, if he doesn't work out you'll be a very bad team for a few years but if he does work out you give yourself a chance at contending every year for 10 years.

  9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    32,615

    Quote Originally Posted by cutty View Post
    Obviously there's a lot of bad with Locker, he had an awful season and its all well documented

    Although, his tape against USC = a #1 overall pick in almost any draft in the last 10 years. I put it up with Stafford's game against LSU as a junior - the pocket was non-existent, the receivers were well covered, and the only way to stay in the game was for the Quarterback to make throws that he had no business making. No matter what team Locker goes to, he's going to have a better protection than he did last year at UW
    That's what everyone said when he went to the Senior Bowl and then he bombed it.

  10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    40,824

    Quote Originally Posted by mdb17 View Post
    You realize that drafting safe/BPA without having a good quarterback will always mean you'll be at best average in the current NFL? Look at the Miami Dolphins they have been pretty average the last few years (even the 10-6 team got badly exposed immediately in the playoffs) do you think they wouldn't switch Ryan for Long now? Ryan is a good quarterback but Long is an elite LT yet it wouldn't take them even a second to make their mind up. I know hindsight makes it easier to use this example but I think taking a chance on a Quarterback needs to be done these days. Granted, if he doesn't work out you'll be a very bad team for a few years but if he does work out you give yourself a chance at contending every year for 10 years.
    It's just for one year. To draft a QB this year is stupid... there are no elite QB prospects and we're picking at 12, which is a bad spot for drafting a QB in the first round unless someone falls. If this were another year and we were looking at non-project, pro-ready, consistent QBs then I'd go with a QB at 12, sure. But none of these QBs are elite, pro-ready, non-projects. To draft him at 12 means he will start in 2011. He will fail... BADLY, if starting in 2011. You don't draft a guy at 12 and then have him sit on the bench, which is what everyone wants Locker to do. It's just dumb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
    That's what everyone said when he went to the Senior Bowl and then he bombed it.
    Exactly. He's as inconsistent as they come, a surefire bust and reach if taken at 12. Round 4+? Sure! But not 12th overall.
    Last edited by vikingsteve26; 04-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts