+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21
FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: Locker at 12?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Robley View Post
    And the SEC is the best conference in football. The Pac-10 is still one of the best. And all of those teams outside of WSU is actually decent. I repeat, THIS IS NOT THE ****ING SEC. They are a good conference compared to all of D-1. You are grading them against the SEC more than you are D-1 as a whole.
    True. Because they are a BCS auto-qualifying conference. One would not compare the Pac-10 to Conference USA. But we were not even talking about conferences comparisons to begin with. We were talking about how 5 teams that UW played were bad teams, and 4 were mediocre. So he did not play against good competition

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by WokDontRun View Post
    Generally. But not this year. HALF of the Pac 10 did not qualify for bowl game (WSU, OSU, ASU, UCLA, Cal). Those are not good teams. Spin it any way you want. You have 2 teams with double digit wins. Contrast that against the SEC which has 4 10 wins teams in the West. And 10 teams in the SEC went to a bowl game.
    Compare the out of conference resumes of the SEC to the Pac-10. Also remember that the Pac-10 has 5 more losses than the SEC by default because they play 9 in-conference games, so five teams HAVE to lose. The SEC's a better conference, but bandying around inflated records helped by playing powerhouses like Troy, Florida A&M, and Georgia State is not the way to prove it.

I think Mallet's off feild problems get blown out of proportion. He is a good passer. But is a product of the Petrino system. My problem with him is that he chokes in pressure situations (Bama, OSU; UPig fans will point to the Moo St win in OT as a counter), and he has a sense of entitlement from UPig fans. The Legend of Ryan Mallet BS that he pulled in that interview with Erin Andrews.
    I don't really buy into the "Petrino System" as being a damnation for a QB. Do NOT god damn cite Brian Brohm; that guy had his own brother calling his plays for him. That is so far beyond saying "Petrino's Offense masked his flaws" it isn't even funny. Don't play that, homie.
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod. www.footballclod.wordpress.com

3. Quote Originally Posted by Blazedestin View Post
    Compare the out of conference resumes of the SEC to the Pac-10. Also remember that the Pac-10 has 5 more losses than the SEC by default because they play 9 in-conference games, so five teams HAVE to lose. The SEC's a better conference, but bandying around inflated records helped by playing powerhouses like Troy, Florida A&M, and Georgia State is not the way to prove it.

I don't really buy into the "Petrino System" as being a damnation for a QB. Do NOT god damn cite Brian Brohm; that guy had his own brother calling his plays for him. That is so far beyond saying "Petrino's Offense masked his flaws" it isn't even funny. Don't play that, homie.
    I really respect the Pac 10 for thier out of conference games. I hate bought wins or what I like to call snuff games against the likes of Arkansas St., and D1AA teams, but the fans show up and the schools make money. I wish we would play more than one good/decent OOC game a year.

I was thinking more along the lines what he did at Auburn in 2002. Or the job he did with Casey Dick in 2008.

4. Quote Originally Posted by vikingsteve26 View Post
    Are you a member of the Westboro Baptist Church too? I take it you enjoy saying ignorant things. I didn't play sports because I had no interest in working my ass off.
    What I have bolded right there is why you're going no-where in life. I can guarantee if your boss read that right there that he would be having some serious doubts as to whether you were going to be his employee for much longer. A poor work ethic helps nobody. You're embarrassing yourself. I mean honestly, who admits that they're lazy and they don't like to work hard? At least you can say you're honest I guess....

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008

I really respect the Pac 10 for thier out of conference games. I hate bought wins or what I like to call snuff games against the likes of Arkansas St., and D1AA teams, but the fans show up and the schools make money. I wish we would play more than one good/decent OOC game a year.

I was thinking more along the lines what he did at Auburn in 2002. Or the job he did with Casey Dick in 2008.
    No one had ever considered Casey Dick a legitimate NFL prospect. I might have spent a 7th round flyer just to say I got a Dick from Arkansas.

And to be fair, most SEC teams DID have at least one game against a AQ conference, with the only exception being the Mississippi schools. I think that the SEC though, could always look into scheduling a quality Non-AQ or a lower tier AQ opponent instead of Sun Belt teams. Some FCS games are contractually obligated; Arizona and ASU are both obligated to play Northern Arizona in alternating years. I forget who set it up, but it could actually be a state law to generate revenue for NAU's program.
    - Also known as Dan.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Blazedestin View Post
    No one had ever considered Casey Dick a legitimate NFL prospect. I might have spent a 7th round flyer just to say I got a Dick from Arkansas.

And to be fair, most SEC teams DID have at least one game against a AQ conference, with the only exception being the Mississippi schools. I think that the SEC though, could always look into scheduling a quality Non-AQ or a lower tier AQ opponent instead of Sun Belt teams. Some FCS games are contractually obligated; Arizona and ASU are both obligated to play Northern Arizona in alternating years. I forget who set it up, but it could actually be a state law to generate revenue for NAU's program.
    I never said they did. Anyone that thinks CS could go to the NFL is sniffing glue. And Im almost certain that Petrino calls the plays (I know he does at Arky) and did so for Brohm. But that does not matter. Look at what Petrino did with Chris Redman his 1st time at UL. Seems like all of his QB bust in the NFL.

Agree on the schedule thing. It would be nice to see quality games early in the season. Auburn will be playing Washington St in 2013. We are going to murder them. Im ok with them playing Northern Arizona, keeping money in state is a good idea. But it cost ASU a bowl game this year because they had more than one win against the FSC.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

I never said they did. Anyone that thinks CS could go to the NFL is sniffing glue. And Im almost certain that Petrino calls the plays (I know he does at Arky) and did so for Brohm. But that does not matter. Look at what Petrino did with Chris Redman his 1st time at UL. Seems like all of his QB bust in the NFL.

Agree on the schedule thing. It would be nice to see quality games early in the season. Auburn will be playing Washington St in 2013. We are going to murder them. Im ok with them playing Northern Arizona, keeping money in state is a good idea. But it cost ASU a bowl game this year because they had more than one win against the FSC.
    While of course, he wasn't at Louisville during Brohm's senior season, his brother was a huge part of the offensive staff there. I believe Brohm's older brother called plays at least his senior season. He had to have had a hand in relaying the plays earlier than that though.

I will observe though, that Petrino has never had a high-profile QB to the best of my knowledge. He had Chris Redman as a 3rd round pick, which almost always is a bust at QB. He has developed into a capable backup though. Are we seriously going to refer to all of his QB's as busts when he's never had a 1st round QB? Mallett is the highest profile QB who is largely defined by the Petrino offense. Jason Campbell was probably a higher draft pick, but Petrino only spent a single season there; too little to refer to Campbell as a Petrino product.
    - Also known as Dan.

8. Quote Originally Posted by WokDontRun View Post
    Lets see how they do with Nick Montana next year.
    It is completely and utterly faulty to compare Locker's value to the University of Washington based on how well Nick Montana(or Keith Price, mind you) do as the starting quarterback 2011. Steve Sarkisian didn't have anything talent wise when he got to Washington and he had offensive personnel that were definitely not recruited for the offense that he wanted to institute at Washington, especially the quarterback. Did you know that Locker ran the Wing T in high school? Never has Locker ever ran anything where he had to make more than one or two reads offensively in his life before his Junior year of college(his fourth year at UW). Nick Montana or Keith Price will be much more successful than Locker in college because they were recruited for the offensive system and will have much better talent around them. Look up Kasen Williams and Austin Sefarian Jenkins, Jake Locker would have killed to have those kids on campus his first year as a starter. You know who Locker's leading receiver was his RS Freshman year? The fullback of the Oakland friggen Raiders.

9. Quote Originally Posted by WokDontRun View Post
    Generally. But not this year. HALF of the Pac 10 did not qualify for bowl game (WSU, OSU, ASU, UCLA, Cal). Those are not good teams. Spin it any way you want. You have 2 teams with double digit wins. Contrast that against the SEC which has 4 10 wins teams in the West. And 10 teams in the SEC went to a bowl game.
    lol. Contrasted to the SEC whose teams get to play 4 OoC games, mostly against cupcake teams? The Pac-10 plays a round robin schedule, nine conference games, which means teams like Oregon State, Arizona State and Cal, who missed out on bowl games by one loss/win, missed out because they lost to a team like Washington, who was clawing for a bowl spot, instead of getting to pound San Jose State's ass for their extra win. No, the Pac-10 was not a great conference, but them beating themselves up with an extra conference game had a little to do with the lack of bowl qualifying teams. It's the same thing that happens in the ACC with mediocre but not great teams.

And, since I know that this argument spawned from the quality of teams Locker's played, let's look at the total defense stats of UW's 2010 opponents. Including all of our OoC foes, you'll see 7 teams we played within the top 36 in the country.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda...-total-defense

+ Reply to Thread