+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It has begun: Phil Simms questions Andrew Luck's arm

1. Join Date
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by blue5213 View Post
    Neither is more highly-regarded than Sanchez was at the time, obviously both are higher-regarded than Clausen in general, and Gabbert is a toss-up. Regardless, the point is that all of them were promoted as alternatives to the top QB on the board, and the top QB on the board prevailed handily anyways. Let's not overthink this, just for one year.

No, but Luck is clearly superior to both and a much better bet to pan out. This is more of a Sam Braford/Matt Ryan situation than a Cam Newton one in terms of talent disparity: the top quarterback is unquestionably a better bet than the guys after him.
    Neither I nor the people from the quote you found are saying that Luck isn't a better bet than Barkley and Jones.

Blue is offline Master of English 1000% USDA Young Stallion

Quote Originally Posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
    Neither I nor the people from the quote you found are saying that Luck isn't a better bet than Barkley and Jones.
    I didn't say they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverTyrant View Post
    I have a small *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by jepg View Post
    I apologise to the entire Walter Football community for my bigoted views.

I should be put on an island and nuked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt Vanderhuge View Post
    I'd like to thank Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy and Roger Goodell for making it uncomfortable to watch football today.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009

Here's the "entire response"

“I think the hype is a little too much,” Simms told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday. “I feel bad for him in that respect. I mean, what’s he going to do to match what they say he can do?

“There’s a lot to him. I think his best quality, by far, is he’s big and strong and he’s going to be able to move and run in the NFL. There’s no question. I mean, this guy is strong. The throwing? He manages a game. I see all that.

“But the one thing I don’t see, I just don’t see big time NFL throws. I don’t care what anybody says. I’ve watched a lot of him. He never takes it and rips it in there. And you can say what you want but, man, you’ve got to be able to crease that ball every once in a while. We see it every week in these games. Hey, he can develop it but even in the USC game, you know, he’s very careful with it, guides it a lot, Rich. That’s what I see. There’s not a lot of rotation on the ball and there’s not a tremendous amount of power. Not that you need to have that power arm. I’m not saying you’ve got to have that exclusively but, man, it sure helps when you can do that because there’s four or five plays a game it is about arm strength. And sometimes quarterbacks who don’t have it, they pass those plays up. Why? Well, they go, ‘I don’t know if I can make that throw,’ so they throw it short. That’s why I’m a little more reserved in my judgment than everybody else.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-andrew-luck/

I agree with both points he's made. The velocity doesn't show up on tape like you want it to and that people are way too high on a guy who hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL.

Michael Floyd > Justin Blackmon

4. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Booo Phil Simms. He's just angry at how ****ty his sons are at quarterback. I miss Tyler Bray.
    Quote Originally Posted by betelgeuse View Post
    Seriously, why did he have to create that abomination Matt Simms?? After last weekend I'm really depressed, if Bray doesn't come back by Vanderbilt I might down an entire bottle of Makers Mark in his memory.
    Matt Simms is the only starting collegiate QB that couldn't get laid in the 'ugly' sorority on campus. As for the comments, I don't see what Phil said that was off. Luck /doesn't/ have that Rodgers/Cutler/Stafford type arm. I think we all know that. But as we all know, that isn't necessary to be successful in the NFL. Now, could it limit his ceiling? Possibly, depending on just how strong/weak it is. If it's Manning-level he is fine, but if it is Ryan-level, he might never reach that ZOMFGSLURPLUCK level that he seemingly needs to hit otherwise he will be a bust.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Descendency View Post
    Here's the "entire response"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-andrew-luck/

I agree with both points he's made. The velocity doesn't show up on tape like you want it to and that people are way too high on a guy who hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL.
    I agree that arm strength isn't everything. Look at Aaron Rodgers. Doesn't have elite armstrength but he still manages to be a mediocre QB.

edit: And he's concussion prone.

6. Join Date
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Matt Simms is the only starting collegiate QB that couldn't get laid in the 'ugly' sorority on campus.
    Riley Nelson.

Cue drum roll.

+ Reply to Thread