What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you reading?

I don't expect this topic to be to popular, but what are you guys currently reading? What are your favorite books?

I'm currently reading the book of J by Harold Bloom. It's about the Old Testament of the bible. In it, Bloom argues that the Bible was written by a woman and never intended to be a book of religion, but instead a book of humor and irony. He includes different translations of the bible including the original text of the old testament. It's a tough read, but I'm enjoying the insight. Would probably offend most Christians.

Hmm, glad I'm not Christan. I'm reading a bunch of books by Terry Pratchett.

Comment

the bible is full of symbolism and should not be interpreted literally like what 99% of people do.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Like what? I've read Maskerade by Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          the bible is full of symbolism and should not be interpreted literally like what 99% of people do.
          Way less than 99% of people interpret the Bible literally. Since 1862 when their was a court case of Darwinism vs. the Bible the number of conservative Christians has depleted. It's probably more like 20%? That's being generous.

As far as the symbolism. It's weird, after reading Blooms point of view I think that a lot of the symbolism is actually just irony. Mind you, The Book of J is strictly the Old Testament of the bible from its original context. Not the edited King James version, Tyndale-Coverdale, or Arch Gennesis version.

It points out many ironic mistakes of the character Yahweh (or god) though out the reading. They're quite humorous.

Comment

I've stopped buying books since I found out that everything I want to read on can find on the net.

But, I'm very well read on the bible. Too complex a topic for this forum, I think. And you're right, would be offensive to many.

Comment

I like to re read books on occasion, and I also highlight important expressions or points through out the book as I read so I don't think I could read solely online.

Bills Red might like this... One of my favorite books I've ever read is "Heavier Than Heaven" a biography on Kurt Cobain

Comment

I read 101 Myths of the Bible, and in it I never heard about one single author...more than one book other just J,and it tlaked about how Christianity derived its myths from Bablonian, Egyptian, Roman, etc. myths.
                2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I'm definitely a non-fiction reader. My last favorite book I read was "Undaunted Courage", a complete and greatly told story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition written by the late great Stephen Ambrose.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    I read 101 Myths of the Bible, and in it I never heard about one single author...more than one book other just J,and it tlaked about how Christianity derived its myths from Bablonian, Egyptian, Roman, etc. myths.
                    The Book of J looks at the Bible as a literary text, not a religious piece that gathered myths. Harold Bloom is to authorship and book knowledge as Scorsese is to film and production knowledge. Can you tell the difference of two silhouettes dropping back to pass if one is Vince Young and the other is Andre Woodson? Bloom can tell the difference between one authors penmen ship to a collection of myths.

He interprets that someone obviously had to write this book (or even gather these myths) and he tries to prove who how and why.

Then after his argument that the book was written for pleasure and not religion you can see the evolution of religion in the different translations of the Bible. As the humor and irony is sapped out the morals are pumped in.

I'm not saying that I buy into to 100%, but it's a very interesting topic.

Comment

Originally posted by animal52 View Post
                      I'm definitely a non-fiction reader. My last favorite book I read was "Undaunted Courage", a complete and greatly told story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition written by the late great Stephen Ambrose.
                      I love non-fiction. Honestly, I'd rather just watch a movie than read a fiction book. Movies based on true stories and non-fiction books just don't compare though. I'll take the book.

I did very much enjoy Romance of the Three Kingdoms novels though. They're supposedly truth, but cannot be proven and are obviously exaggerated. They have spin off video games called "Romance of the Three Kingdoms Saga" and "Dynasty Warriors" if those ring a bell to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
                        Hmm, glad I'm not Christan. I'm reading a bunch of books by Terry Pratchett.
                        Read them all, except making money which I waill get when it is released as paperback. As of now I am reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
                        Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Good thread.

The Da Vinci Code was a good read, in my opinion. One of my favorite books is Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.

Right now I'm reading "T is For Trespass" by Sue Grafton.
                          Carolina Panther's GM

1. #17 - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
                          2. #37 - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
                          2. #43 - Jonathan Hefney, FS, Tennessee
                          3. #74 - John David Booty, QB, USC
                          3. #82 - Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
                          4. #107 - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                            Like what? I've read Maskerade by Pratchett.
                            I love Pratchett's satirical humor. I'm currently reading Making Money. Did you know he holds the record for most shoplifted books in Britan?

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
                              I love Pratchett's satirical humor. I'm currently reading Making Money. Did you know he holds the record for most shoplifted books in Britan?
                              That is a wonderful piece of useless knowledge....
                              Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Working...
                              X