This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig Smith View Post
    Simply put pick 1 due at 7 pm est, pick 2 at 8pm, 3 at 9 pm on an exact date, set before the draft begins.

It eliminates the having to come and see if you are on the clock. You know exactly when you have to come and make your pick and exactly how long you have to come and pass off a big board...
    I like this idea. That way you know if you can't make it. You either pm a big board to an op or to an assistant gm.
    2008 Cincinnati Bengals GM
    2009 Baltimore Ravens GM
    1 (26) WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
    2 (57) DT Fili Moala, USC
    3 (77) CB Kevin Barnes, Maryland
    5 (152) OT Jason Watkins, Florida
    6 (188) RB Arian Foster, Tennessee
    6 (199) TE Richard Quinn, North Carolina
    7 (220) FB William Rentmeester, Wisconsin
    7 (226) WR Tommy Breaux, Towson
    7 (227) LB Dan Skuta, Grand Valley State
    7 (234) QB Mike Teel, Rutgers
    2009 Jacksonville Jaguars GM
    1 (8) Michael Oher OT Ole Miss - group pick
    2 (39) Percy Harvin WR Florida - group pick
    3 (72) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
    4 (107) Trevor Canfield G Cincinnati
    5 (144) Javon Ringer RB Michigan State
    6 (180) Greg Toler CB Saint Paul's College
    7 (250) Jeremy Navarre DE Maryland
    7 (253) Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland

Comment

Keep it coming. These are good ideas.
      WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
      Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I still think that next time around an exact time should be given for a pick. None of this 2 hours to make a pick crap when you have no clue when your 2 hours will start.

I have tried to be active this time around, and was active for the last one, but this time around i would check, and only 4 picks happenend in the last 24 hours and i am still 12 picks away. I check back a day later and 15 picks have happened and i was skipped.

Simply put pick 1 due at 7 pm est, pick 2 at 8pm, 3 at 9 pm on an exact date, set before the draft begins.

It eliminates the having to come and see if you are on the clock. You know exactly when you have to come and make your pick and exactly how long you have to come and pass off a big board...
        I concur.
        sigpic
        WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
        PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
        NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
        Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
        Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
        MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
        PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
        Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
        Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
        ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
        Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
        TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
        InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
        Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
        EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
        EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
        Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
        BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
        Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

I have seen that on other forums, but people miss picks with that system too. We might just have to admit we aren't the NFL and some people won't get on in time. I like these suggestions, though.

Comment

There is one easy way to do this if someone misses their pick. After two hours without a pick being made, a Mod on duty will first consult Walter's "Offseason Needs" section. He usually has at least 5 positional needs per team, in order from 1-5. The Mod will take the highest rated need position that has not yet been addressed. Should all needs be addressed, then they shall return to the #1 need. At that point, the Mod will go to Walter's "Draft Prospects" section, and select the highest rated player at that position. Again, this is only if the pick is missed and no big board has been sent. It takes any and all guesswork out of the equation. Bottom line, everyone knows the rules, and if no big board is sent, then nobody has the right to complain about who the receive. At least now it isn't left up to a Mod to have to pick a player for someone else, there is a formula for determining who they get.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluto View Post
              There is one easy way to do this if someone misses their pick. After two hours without a pick being made, a Mod on duty will first consult Walter's "Offseason Needs" section. He usually has at least 5 positional needs per team, in order from 1-5. The Mod will take the highest rated need position that has not yet been addressed. Should all needs be addressed, then they shall return to the #1 need. At that point, the Mod will go to Walter's "Draft Prospects" section, and select the highest rated player at that position. Again, this is only if the pick is missed and no big board has been sent. It takes any and all guesswork out of the equation. Bottom line, everyone knows the rules, and if no big board is sent, then nobody has the right to complain about who the receive. At least now it isn't left up to a Mod to have to pick a player for someone else, there is a formula for determining who they get.
              Love it.

Comment

That is basicially how I and other mods (probably) do it anyway. Still, having that as a rule can't hurt.

Comment

I still think that next time around an exact time should be given for a pick. None of this 2 hours to make a pick crap when you have no clue when your 2 hours will start.

I have tried to be active this time around, and was active for the last one, but this time around i would check, and only 4 picks happenend in the last 24 hours and i am still 12 picks away. I check back a day later and 15 picks have happened and i was skipped.

I like the way you are thinking!
                  Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

I think if the clock runs out on you no one should make the pick. It is just skipped. Your fault you weren't here on time. I don't think anyone else should make the pick but the team's GM.
                    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      I think if the clock runs out on you no one should make the pick. It is just skipped. Your fault you weren't here on time. I don't think anyone else should make the pick but the team's GM.
                      Why are you awake this early? Now go back to bed!!!
                      Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Believe me, I've wanted that for ages. It won't happen. Still, I would like that to happen.

Comment

I agree. Maybe on the next one since we had so many problems this way.

I keep saying this because I just want everybody to know that I still think that we did this pretty well, just needs some tweaking.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that will work because if a GM doesn't show he's gonna get a bunch of 7th/FA players for all of his picks, which pretty much invalidates the entire mock. Not only that, but I think most of us want these mocks to be as realistic as possible, and if you have GM's being skipped, players are sliding that shouldn't be which further invalidates the mock. That is why I agree with what Bluto said, because that way a GM who does miss his pick doesn't get strapped with some no-name player he would never pick in a million years and that makes no sense for the team.

I really think the biggest key would be having fixed times for every team to make a pick, and have that time not vary under any circumstances. It's not fair to owners who are here trying to make picks every day to wait around for 20+ hours for one guy to pick, and then have 3-4 picks rattle off in mintues and their clock expires while they are away. That makes it impossible to know when you are giong to actually pick, which means you can't be away from your computer for more than 2 hours at a time. That just sucks, and it makes the draft unnecessarily stressfull for everyone who takes the draft seriously.

It would be drastically better to set it up like this...

Round 1:
                            MIA 1:00pM - 1:30PM
                            DEN 1:30PM - 2:00PM
                            KC 2:00PM - 2:30PM

ect...

Then teams have no excuse for missing a pick and not sending their top selections to a mod.

Game over, draft runs smoothly and efficiently.
                            Last edited by ZN0rseman; 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM.
                            sigpic
                            WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
                            PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
                            NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
                            Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
                            Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
                            MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
                            PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
                            Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
                            Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
                            ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
                            Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
                            TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
                            InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
                            Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
                            EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
                            EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
                            Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
                            BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
                            Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
                              Yeah, I don't think that will work because if a GM doesn't show he's gonna get a bunch of 7th/FA players for all of his picks, which pretty much invalidates the entire mock. Not only that, but I think most of us want these mocks to be as realistic as possible, and if you have GM's beign skipped, players are sliding that shouldn't be which further invalidates the mock.
                              No, here is my suggestion. We do it like the NFL, letting them pick when they show up. After a set number of picks (10, perhaps), the mods pick for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
                                No, here is my suggestion. We do it like the NFL, letting them pick when they show up. After a set number of picks (10, perhaps), the mods pick for them.
                                Yes but the NFL also gets everyone together in one room and they can't leave. So unless you want to fork over the money to trandsport ass 31 participants to Walter's house for a one day mock, than it is kind of out of the question to do it that way. Most people here have lives, jobs, familes, classes etc. and can't stick to the boards 24 7...

Comment

Working...
                                X