This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by football2ky View Post
    I think your getting confused, as Harry Potter is for moronic little children.
    And, its ****ing gay.
    Yes, again, thank you for proving that you're a stupid, worthless, ignorant kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robley View Post
      Yes, again, thank you for proving that you're a stupid, worthless, ignorant kid.
      I think ignorant is the only word that actually applies there.
      Stupid and worthless were just added in to make it sound more menacing and try to intimidate others.

Comment

I think ignorant is the only word that actually applies there.
        Stupid and worthless were just added in to make it sound more menacing and try to intimidate others.
        Ok. You're an ignorant child incapable of posing an argument more complex than "****ing gay." When the only criticism you're able to present is "****ing gay," then you know you have a problem.

Comment

• Gong made the mistake of thinking Christmas was about jesus, when its about presents
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Robley View Post
            Ok. You're an ignorant child incapable of posing an argument more complex than "****ing gay." When the only criticism you're able to present is "****ing gay," then you know you have a problem.
            I haven't watched more than 30 minutes of it, so I can't make an actually argument of why its dumb like Gong or others.
            I do know however, that it is ****ing stupid.
            Or gay, if you would rather me say that. You like that, right?
            Ignorant still very much applies though. Good job!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanchoPanza View Post
              Gong made the mistake of thinking Christmas was about jesus, when its about presents
              Your just happy someones up with you. I should be sleeping.

Comment

• Honestly, folks, this is the mafia discussion thread. There's a whole off-topic forum where you can make countless threads discussing the pros and cons of Harry Potter. So, please stop behaving like European soccer fans.
                Coming soon: Cold War Mini Mafia II - The Berlin Wall

Comment

• Harry Potter Mafia? I hope Robley makes it.

Comment

I haven't watched more than 30 minutes of it, so I can't make an actually argument of why its dumb like Gong or others.
                    I do know however, that it is ****ing stupid.
                    Or gay, if you would rather me say that. You like that, right?
                    Ignorant still very much applies though. Good job!
                    Originally posted by football2ky View Post
                    Your just happy someones up with you. I should be sleeping.
                    Im glad when people who havent seen something can be so insightful about something
                    sigpic

Comment

• I feel wholly offended, jeez its just a fantasy story. No need to call it gay or anything.
                      2010 WF.com PPR Champion
                      2011 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
                      2014 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
                      2013 VF Fantasy League Champion

CMD II Champion [co-owner with simonds]
                      CMD III NFC North Champion [co-owner with simonds]
                      CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

• Geez gong that arguement was awful.
                        2014 Champion of the Walter Football PPR League

CMD VI Runner Up

Comment

• The argument against Christmas in Harry Potter doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. It isn't a conspiracy of people who like Harry Potter either. I don't think the books were well written at all, but not only is the students celebrating Christmas not an issue it actually makes sense.

The huge issue at the heart of the debate is the assertion that this is a fantasy realm that needs to be created like a different world. But, the crux of the plot is that it is a part of our world. It is simply a fantasy addition, not a different place of its own. This isn't Middle Earth, it is simply Earth. Since witches and wizards keep their existence secret that means that the religions and other cultural aspects of societies would have progressed just as they did in our reality.

So once you get past that you have to look at the real reason that Christmas is celebrated so much. It is celebrated more due to its timing of the year than anything. With Christmas being so close to New Years we see pretty much every school take the time between those Holidays off. Since this is a world in which witches and wizards live amongst normal people the students would have to be allowed to go home for that winter break. Because while neighbors of wizards would understand students being sent off to boarding school, they would not understand them not coming home for winter break. The magical community would have to adhere to societal norms in order to keep their secret safe.

Then you get into the fact that at no point does the book say that everyone actually celebrates the holiday. Since the school is made up of many that were born from non-magical families they naturally would have grown up amongst those traditions. So they celebrate them naturally. The witches and wizards that live in non-magical communities would also naturally celebrate. They don't show any religious observance though, which means it is more likely that any other students that observe the Holiday only do so as a result of it being a break from school or work and a time when others are receiving presents so they join in as well.

It would be a book flaw if the winter holidays were not noted and the children sent home.

Comment

• That has been said already, and my point stands that the "secret" society of magic, wizards, witches, would not only have their own mythology, religion, and philosophies due to their ability to break all the rules of physics and most of society, but of all the religions out there, the one they would absolutely not "celebrate" unless its a cover story would be Christianity.

I have posited Hindu or Wicca are the only two religions I know that may tolerate magic in their cannon from our own world.

It doesn't matter they are "assimilated" as you say, but the "secret" part of that means they are not in fact assimilated, plus they have magic, fly, and practice witchcraft, so its not our world, with a secret society, its its OWN universe where certain rules don't apply, and then set forth as a world in and of itself.

I feel like I am talking to a brick wall here. I get Robely being a dick about things, Monk is monk, DT is a fan, VF actually made good points even though I wasn't discussing symbolism, Blue knows what I am talking about, and IR misunderstood, or just didn't care about my points, as he just rehashed other's points, in a well worded and sensible fashion, which is his way, but no id did not invalidate anything I was saying.

Also, I am happy to move this to any other thread. Or just let it go, as obviously some of you just don't get building a world with its OWN rules, and STICKING by those rules, not toggling back and forth between any rules out there, cuz its convenient, you are a lazy writer, or just a fan boy that doesn't want to hear criticism of your precious.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                            I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

Comment

• Nobody gives a **** all of you. Stop
                              A mans reputation is what his friends say about him. His character is what his enemies say about him

Live everyday as if it is your last, one day it will be

Life has defining moments, define the moment or the moment will define you

Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable giving your 2 best friends keys to your house. If not, find new best friends

Dont trust a women who doesn't close her eyes when you kiss her

Comment

• I love ruffling feathers. Lol Robley
                                I literally have no opinion on this. IR and Gong both make good points.

Comment

Working...
                                X