Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mafias Dead

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IR just sounds great cuz he is a word master.

    It matters to me, and I am not sure why people are all ruffled, this has nothing to do with their own personal beliefs, it has to do with a fictional universe's lack of depth.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
    I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by GongKong View Post
      IR just sounds great cuz he is a word master.

      It matters to me, and I am not sure why people are all ruffled, this has nothing to do with their own personal beliefs, it has to do with a fictional universe's lack of depth.
      You misunderstood me. I am not arguing that witchcraft and Christianity don't go together. The issue at hand is that I laid out that they never talk about religion at all. They celebrate Christmas in the films and books only to exchange gifts and because they get to go home. No one praises Jesus or anything. I made an argument showing that they look forward to and celebrate it bc it is a break from school, while simultaneously allowing them to keep up the appearance of societal norms to keep their magical culture hidden.

      And Gong it simply isn't its own universe. You are arguing from ignorance on this topic and that is why you are arguing so passionately. It is the same universe just with magic present. All magic is is another trait that a person can have. That doesn't make it another universe.

      Comment


      • Kittens.

        I hear ya, you well worded rascal you.

        Also, it is not the same universe by definition, cuz magic and witchcraft are real in that one and not real in this one. that changes the entire rules and laws of physics of that universe in ways that would shape the development of their society, beliefs, philosophies, religions, and especially Holiday celebrations. But I am ignorant of the subject as far as the cannon of the Potter series, so you are right on that one.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
        I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

        Comment


        • Gong, the Harry Potter universe is modeled to be our universe except magic is secretly real. Any different development on the "physics of the universe" is more of a willful suspension of disbelief deal. You seem to believe otherwise, but that's just how it was written. You want to argue it was poorly written, that's fine with me. But to say fiction should always be tailored to the from-existence rules of its independent universe and therefore anything that is fictional cannot be based of our world (because things are different, so they can't be a reflection of our society) seems like a somewhat narrow-minded excuse to argue about religion, which is really a nonexistent issue in that particular universe.

          I'm not religious but I know damn well I got really frickin' excited in late December. Week off of school, gift-giving and charity; not the religious aspect, but the familial aspect. Just because the winter holidays have a religious background doesn't mean us areligious folk can't appreciate the more benevolent aspects of the tradition with our loved ones.
          Originally posted by GongKong
          I wonder what Cory has cooked up. He is usually a leader of men. Cory the butcher of bakersfield. The one that does not eat the last piece of bread on the table. Truly a hero to the people, even if he spit in the butter bowl, cuz he is a wily little rebel.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by GongKong View Post
            Kittens.

            I hear ya, you well worded rascal you.

            Also, it is not the same universe by definition, cuz magic and witchcraft are real in that one and not real in this one. that changes the entire rules and laws of physics of that universe in ways that would shape the development of their society, beliefs, philosophies, religions, and especially Holiday celebrations. But I am ignorant of the subject as far as the cannon of the Potter series, so you are right on that one.
            Your Christianity angle is interesting in that I had personally never considered it and it is tough to completely reject. I just see it the way Thanksgiving is celebrated for me. Thanksgiving harkens back to the relationship between the Pilgrims and Native Americans. Yet that has no relevance to me. I celebrate Thanksgiving only because I want to eat a huge meal and have some mash potatoes especially. Since all the students care about is getting gifts and going home it seemed to me that it was the same thing for them. Sure Christmas has meaning, but just not to them. Otherwise they would have gone to a service at school.

            I will have to think more on the universe angle. I still argue that its the same bc Rowling would likely argue that we can't prove there aren't wizards. So our real world could have magic. That is a bad way to argue I admit, but I could see people using it.

            Comment


            • Good points both of you. I will think on them.

              and post kittens
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
              I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

              Comment


              • Looking forward to getting my first role since the beginning mafia games.
                Can you spare a septim?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by InjuredReserve View Post
                  Your Christianity angle is interesting in that I had personally never considered it and it is tough to completely reject. I just see it the way Thanksgiving is celebrated for me. Thanksgiving harkens back to the relationship between the Pilgrims and Native Americans. Yet that has no relevance to me. I celebrate Thanksgiving only because I want to eat a huge meal and have some mash potatoes especially. Since all the students care about is getting gifts and going home it seemed to me that it was the same thing for them. Sure Christmas has meaning, but just not to them. Otherwise they would have gone to a service at school.

                  I will have to think more on the universe angle. I still argue that its the same bc Rowling would likely argue that we can't prove there aren't wizards. So our real world could have magic. That is a bad way to argue I admit, but I could see people using it.
                  How does Hermione put it? You can't prove something is true by saying no one can prove it isn't. That would be ridiculous.

                  Comment


                  • bcb is going to lynch us all, BTW

                    He Hath Declared it. HP fag arguers, we are.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                    I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

                    Comment


                    • Why don't we all lynch BCB? We're more people than him.
                      Originally posted by GongKong
                      I wonder what Cory has cooked up. He is usually a leader of men. Cory the butcher of bakersfield. The one that does not eat the last piece of bread on the table. Truly a hero to the people, even if he spit in the butter bowl, cuz he is a wily little rebel.

                      Comment


                      • Gong, your argument is wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

                        Originally posted by Snake View Post
                        How does Hermione put it? You can't prove something is true by saying no one can prove it isn't. That would be ridiculous.
                        Well look at you, all brushed up on your Harry Potter.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Snake View Post
                          How does Hermione put it? You can't prove something is true by saying no one can prove it isn't. That would be ridiculous.
                          Yep. Its a famous logical fallacy.

                          Comment


                          • "Another way that Men ordinarily use to drive others, and force them to submit their Judgments. And receive the Opinion in debate, is to require the Adversary to admit what they alledge as a Proof, or assign a better. And this I call Argumentum ad Ignorantum" – John Locke

                            Bertrand Russell also pointed that fallacy out.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                            I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

                            Comment


                            • I might just keep running Minis if you guys don't wanna. I'm thinking about Off-Topic Harry Potter Religious Debate Mini-Mafia right now.
                              Originally posted by GongKong
                              I wonder what Cory has cooked up. He is usually a leader of men. Cory the butcher of bakersfield. The one that does not eat the last piece of bread on the table. Truly a hero to the people, even if he spit in the butter bowl, cuz he is a wily little rebel.

                              Comment


                              • Is there seriously a debate about religion in Harry Potter books going on here? Seriously?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X