This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InjuredReserve View Post
    I ask that all the time. Swag's response is basically the answer for me. In hindsight I would tell anyone to go into the military in some form instead of college. I have worked with a bunch of ex military guys and some still in it. The benefits are insane. Salary may be on the low end, but when you get groceries, rent, and other essentials already covered it is meaningless.
    I'm going into college right now. Lots of tough choices ahead. I am considering joining the Peace Corps while I still have my youth.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to get an Associate's Degree from Community College and then join the Corps?

Comment

• Lollanisters
      Originally posted by Daniel
      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
      lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
        You said I have no ambition, how the **** is that not insulting? lol
        lol I haven't been on the forums since I was advertising my last game, but goddamn, did this make me glad I checked in

Comment

• Originally posted by InjuredReserve View Post
          I ask that all the time. Swag's response is basically the answer for me. In hindsight I would tell anyone to go into the military in some form instead of college. I have worked with a bunch of ex military guys and some still in it. The benefits are insane. Salary may be on the low end, but when you get groceries, rent, and other essentials already covered it is meaningless.
          At 23, without any sort of college (this is untrue, but for our purposes it was) and only a middle-grade enlisted personnel based out of Maryland (this is important, because the number I factor in is going to include my insane housing allowance) I was pulling about $75,000 a year if you factor in benefits. That does NOT include veteran's benefits, such as the fact I'm literally getting PAID to earn a free bachelor's degree.

Anybody that says there's no money to be made in the military is a ****ing moron.

Like IR said here, the "salary" itself tends to be relatively low...but there's nothing a 'regular' bottom tier guy needs to spend money on, besides haircuts and maybe a cell phone. The current payscale is roughly $1,700 a month for an E-2 fresh out of basic. Okay, so for a single 18 year old, that's going to be probably $1,300 a month right out of highschool. With no rent (now we're at 2,200 a month after taxes), groceries ($2,500), insurance ($2,700), or education costs (let's go conservative and say $3,100).

I sure wish I was pulling $45,000 a year right out of HS.

Comment

• Unfortunately, all the kids who want to join the military in my HS only want to join to "kill towel-heads". It's kinda scary.

But joining as a non-combatant does seem to have its perks.

Comment

• I wanted to join the navy

but they don't let my kind of people join

Comment

• Originally posted by monstrman View Post
                I wanted to join the navy

but they don't let my kind of people join
                Too straight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post
                  Too straight?
                  zing

Comment

• Military is my fallback plan if europe falls through the cracks.
                    Annoyer of Everyone, and I'm not sorry about it.

Owner of the Portland Horned Owls.

Lord Of the Mentally Retarded

Long May MD4L homer Florida players

May Rags always be drunk.

Defense wins championships, Murderers win at everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy Q. View Post
                      Did you go to school in-state?
                      yes

Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                      Lollanisters
                      lolannisters
                      Originally posted by GongKong
                      I wonder what Cory has cooked up. He is usually a leader of men. Cory the butcher of bakersfield. The one that does not eat the last piece of bread on the table. Truly a hero to the people, even if he spit in the butter bowl, cuz he is a wily little rebel.

Comment

• Someone joins Monk's game with me

Comment

• My brother is a chimneysweep in a play. Hah.

Comment

• Ended up spending 2500.

Super hype since videogames will be the only thing I do for fun while I am in law school, and gonna start to save dat cash.
                            Originally posted by Daniel
                            Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                            lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                              Ended up spending 2500.

Super hype since videogames will be the only thing I do for fun while I am in law school, and gonna start to save dat cash.
                              Model?
                              Annoyer of Everyone, and I'm not sorry about it.

Owner of the Portland Horned Owls.

Lord Of the Mentally Retarded

Long May MD4L homer Florida players

May Rags always be drunk.

Defense wins championships, Murderers win at everything.

Comment

• Have fun Swagman. Going to play single player games, or risk swimming in the ocean of chimneysweeps and play multiplayer?

Comment

Working...
                                X